converting natural gas to propane

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have a stove its natural gas i was going to sell it but they didnt offer me enough soi thought it would be good as a proppane stove i know ill have to rejet it but do the jets need to be bigger or smaller?

Brock

Flashaholic
smaller, propane has more BTU's then nat gas. I know I have used a propane stove on nat gas and it works ok, not quite as hot, but nat gas stove on propane gets really hot. I suppose you could just not turn it up as much?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
best get it rejetted by a pro or at least use a kit from the mfr.
being unvented its even more important to have it burn clean.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll want to look this up in more detail if it's something you're going to insist on doing yourself. Propane holds more energy per volume, so you want to burn less of it for the same heat. But if the air intakes and other such adjustments on the stove aren't setup right (and they might not even be able to be setup right for propane depending on the kind of stove) you're going to be doing some incomplete combustion and generating LOTS more carbon monoxide than you normally would.

Please don't let our last bit of information about you be a newspaper article where it talks about your death while cooking from CO poisoning!

If there is a kit from the manufacturer, then you can probably do it OK. But don't just tweak down the air intake adjustments (which are the only adjustments on some model of stoves) and think that it's going to be OK!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't mess witth a LOT of gas heaters...

But have installed and maintained both NG and LP.

I have changed nothing more than gas nozzles (jets) and of course did the needed mod or replaced the gas valve and it has worked correctly.

HOWEVER!!! All the burners on pressure washers are vented to outside!

I would have no idea how to convert a stove/oven.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
o i was hopeing i could drill em

[/ QUOTE ]

Use a small drill to make the holes smaller. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i have a natral gas grill to id like to run it on propane my dad payed like 579 for this grill but he didnt like it so he gave it to me he likkes the one he got from home depot for like 129 way better he says it gets hotter for grilling steaks

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
run the drill in reverse to put metal back in the orifice? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif