ARC LE Flicker

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I've carried my ARC LE for about two months but it has developed a flicker. When I use it the brightness comes and goes. It's extrememly noticeable. I've got three other ARCs including another LE and haven't noticed this problem. Has anyone else had this happen?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Gadgetman7, sorry to hear you are having trouble with your light. I will do my best to assist and return it to 100%.

This flickering problem has happened before. It can be caused by several factors. Since it has gone this long before the problem developed, I would suspect that the cause is corrosion.

If you may, please check the two contacts where the battery makes electrical contact with the flashlight. Look for corrosion. The battery leaking almost always causes this corrosion.

If you do not want to check this yourself, you may send the unit in for warranty repair. Corrosion caused by a faulty battery is not covered under the warranty. We will repair it though for a reasonable price. If the problem is a defect with the flashlight itself, the repair/replacement will be free.

If you feel brave, you may use the following steps to examine the flashlight and maybe even repair it.

The two contacts are the positive contact at the top and the negative contact at the bottom. The positive contact is inside the foam ring and is a gray metal. The negative contact is at the base of battery compartment inside and is a shiny metal.

One quick test to eliminate the negative contact as the problem can be performed only if you have a spare battery compartment from another Arc-AAA. Otherwise, you must visually inspect the contact area with a bright light (another handy use for a spare Arc-AAA).

If the metal appears dull, blackened or has a white powder on it, it may be corroded or otherwise fouled. You can clean it by ramming some steel wool down the shaft and spinning it. You may also put sand paper on the end of a pencil eraser and use that instead. Still another idea is to use tools design to clean firearms. You may have some luck with spraying certain anti-oxide sprays inside like "DeoxIT D5", etc.

The metal should be shiny when you are finished.

The positive contact normally is duller than the case metal. It should not be black or have any other color than a shiny gray. You can use sandpaper on it but resurfacing it with a soldering iron is recommended.

Let me know what you decide and how this works for you.

Peter Gransee

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
To elaborate a little on what MR. Gransee said.....
I had the same problem on my previous Arc, and I simply-to really check out the light electronically, took a AAA battery holder (with a good clean batt.inserted) and made a direct connection with a short jumper wire to the head by itself.

That way, you can know for sure if you're being victimized by a poor ground. It happens!
frown.gif

KenBar

Enlightened
I had the same deal with mine.
It was no big deal ...

I took a pencil with a new eraser, inserted it into the barrel, and rotated it for a few minutes.

The eraser cleaned the end of the tube nicely. I did the same to the light end.

I now perform this simple procedure when I change a battery. It takes virtually no time and the light seems somewhat brighter and always makes good contact. I never have to screw it down tightly as it makes great contact with light pressure.

BTY..I never have gotten around to sending a SASE to Arc for the new adhesive foam spacers. Since the LE hangs around my neck, there is little rattle and when I do clean the head, it is very easy to do with no washer in the way.

I prefer the convenience of easy head cleaning and a little brighter light to the very mild annoyance of hearing a rattle occasionally.

I could be wrong, but not having to crank it down so hard to make contact when they "dirty up" , has to be easier on the whole flashlight. I plan on having this some time.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
Mr.Gransee,

It doeesn't look corroded and it has only had one battery which isn't corroded. I tried the eraser but no luck. I also put the head on another ARC LE body and it still flickers. (The other ARC works fine.) Both contacts look shiny. I have four of the ARCs - two LE's and two regular whites. None of the others have this problem. Guess I'll have to send it in. Good thing that I have spares.
grin.gif
How should I ship it (UPS, USPS, etc.)? Would it be okay to ship in a bubble packed envelope?