Maglite 3D with ledcorp pro series

recercare

Enlightened
Anyone with experiences with this. It seems like you'll get a good brightness and long run time for a modest price. I mean, why buy Trek 1400 when you can get the same result using a Luxeon in a 3D?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive got one of these outfits and find the only question/problem that i am having is that i am pulling only 190 milliamps out of 4.3 volts (3D) seems that i could get a bit more light if i could pull more mA's any ideas out there on how to do this. Otherwise i really like the light however the beam can be very tight. so if you want a broader beam you might want to consider someithing else.
Regards

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
"pulling only 190 milliamps out of 4.3 volts"

The reason is too control the heat, not much of a heatsink in a PR base.

I've made a home made one (see thread) and it draws 400ma with freah batteries. After a couple minutes it gets real hot. I've not done any 'burn in' test, but have used it for 5 or 6 min periods without any problems.

I modified another 3D mag to install a round heatsink into the tube, and mounted the Luxeon on a short stud (to get focus). It draws about 500-550ma, and seems to not get near as hot. It's real bright.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different kind of lights; multi-led lights cast a smooth flood beam, similar to the Luxeon with optics. The mag conversion focuses the light with the reflector and throws a very bright spot, just like a regular flaslight.

I'd say the converted mag is three to four times brighter than either Lightwave 4000 or Trek 1400.

recercare

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
Different kind of lights; multi-led lights cast a smooth flood beam, similar to the Luxeon with optics. The mag conversion focuses the light with the reflector and throws a very bright spot, just like a regular flaslight.

I'd say the converted mag is three to four times brighter than either Lightwave 4000 or Trek 1400.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, so the flashlight becomes a LED-light and has the beam of an incandescent. That's amusing.

I guess it's more fair to compare the regular incandescent 3D Mag with the Modified 3D Mag. Which is the brightest?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I guess it's more fair to compare the regular incandescent 3D Mag with the Modified 3D Mag. Which is the brightest?"

I think the incandescent 3D Mag stills has a slight advantage, but the difference in color makes it easier (at least for me) to make out different objects and see fine details with the LED light.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bushman:
ive got one of these outfits and find the only question/problem that i am having is that i am pulling only 190 milliamps out of 4.3 volts (3D)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's some serious lack of uniformity with these LEDs. It's like playing Russian roulette. I got a high dome amber from Mark Hannah Surplus that pulls 270ma from 2AA NiMHs. Other people report wildly different results. I think they should start grading their LEDs.