I love my Arc-LS!

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened
My Arc-LS arrived today! I got 1st run number 27. It only took about a week to arrive - I was expecting it to get stuck in customs for a month and to have to pay for the privilage but no it only took a week! Thanks to the guy who mailed it for making this possible
smile.gif
I eagerly opened the small box and tried out the 2AA holder with a couple of duracell ultras. It was dark when i got home and opened the package so it was a great time to try it out.

First impressions on the beam: I havn't had a multi-led flashlight before so I wasn't sure what to expect, although I have had a white Photon III (which i gave away) and I own an Arc-LE which goes everywhere with me. I was amazed at the brightness for a single LED light - far brighter than any LED i've seen before. I like the colour of my new LS, it's mostly a warm white - with a slight splodge of white-blue in the center, and turning yellowish towards the edge of the beam. I like the blueish colour of white LED's but I like this colour even better. I thought my Arc-LE was bright but now it seems rather dim compared to the LS!

It was a bit stiff to turn on, but after i put some silicone spray (i didn't have any grease handy) on the o-ring and some WD-40 on the thread it was silky smooth and i can turn it on with one hand - but not so smooth that it'll un-do by itself. It now feels like a quality tool.

I havn't got any CR123 batteries handy so I cant try that yet but i've ordered some (£3.90 for 3 Panasonic Lithiums at http://www.mx2.co.uk) and they should be here soon, although i'm not in a hurry because i'm also waiting for the new sponge with the bigger hole.

Overall I think it is an excellent light, i'm well pleased with it, I think the lack of grease and the cr123 issue is a small price to pay for being on the bleeding edge of technology. I feel privilaged to own such an excellent torch. Thankyou Peter.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi cybersoga... when you do get your CR123 batteries, I bet the 123 power pack will be your clear favorite (even if the batteries are more expensive). Good luck to you!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I've worked open the hole, I love the LS 123A too. It's currently in my "carry all the time to see where it's most useful" phase of my testing. I believe there's a good chance it will replace my E2 for daytime carry!

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`d simply add the LS to your E2 and carry them both (along with a third flashlight... the Arc LE). They`re all great and deserve a place in your pockets!

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened
Well I couldn't wait and I got a CR123 battery while i was out today - a (flippin' expensive) duracell M3. First time I tried it, it was hard to turn on but it did turn on although you had to do it up very tight. I decided to make the hole in the foam spacer bigger myself by using a soldering iron and some cotton buds to remove the bits of foam, i figured that i'd have a spare when the new foam spacer arrives if it didn't go well, but it's done a suprisingly neat job of it. It is now as easy to turn on as the AA, and the hole is just the right size for both types of batteries now. Anyway, you'r right I am amazed at how much light comes from such a small torch! I think i'm gonna be sticking to 123's in future
smile.gif

Flagone

Newly Enlightened
I got my ARC LS today. It is fantastic. Thank you Peter Gransee.

When I first picked up the package from the post office I thought they must have only shipped the Arc LE as the package was so small and light, but it was all there in bits, waiting for me to pluck them out with nervous glee and trepidation to assemble it for the first time.

The light lit up staight away. It has a pure white beam with good spill which is very bright. It blows a mini mag away in brightness and usefulness of the light. Sure if you shine it up close to a wall there is a couple of slight defects in the beam, but they appear to be from the led itself, not something wrong with the light.

I like the 2AA battery pack as it is very bright and camera batteries are pretty expensive in Australia.

I showed it to a couple of female colleagues at work. As expected they said, "why don't you just get a $5 light then throw it away when it breaks". They just don't understand a well engineered boys toy.

I will have to see if I can get some photos of it to post as it is a pretty unique light.

Speaking of the Arc LE, I can now understand the fan club that exists for this light. I have an Eternalight Ergo X-Ray and a Clipper 3 led. I was expecting the LE to be about 1/4 or 1/3 as bright, not so, it packs a powerful punch for something so small.

I put a battery in it which causes my AAA Maglight to throw light which is only useable at about 20cm and the Arc LE lit up the whole room, incredible.

I had a major led flashlight day today as I also had arrive 2 ZZZ-lites and 2 PR Versalux replacement bulbs. I have no idea why I was shipped 2 ZZZ-lites, I am pretty sure I only ordered one. I will have to check that order.

I will try the ZZZ-lite out later and see if it puts me to sleep. I go to sleep in about 2 minutes anyway so I imagine it will be pretty successful.

The PR Replacement bulbs seem just as bright as the bulbs I replaced. They have gone in a couple of cheap $5 lights I have. Surprisingly, they don't seem to be as blue as regular leds, less blue than the Arc-LE too. Maybe, because the light is very concentrated. They throw a tight beam with a lesser amount of spillover light. I will have to go outdoors somewhere and give them a go.

In conclusion, the Arc LS is great, if it is improved in later versions it will be a very superb product indeed.

Latest posts