Ebay "Police" Light. . . . . Yuk! . . . Mod Time.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ebay \"Police\" Light. . . . . Yuk! . . . Mod Time.

I recently got [from a fellow CPF member] a black "Police" light. This is the one CR123 incandescent light. Please forgive the poor quality of the pictures.

Police.jpg

Anyway, first thing [obviously] was to put in a fresh CR123. Beam was HORRIBLY AWEFUL!!! Absolutely NO power coming from it, and what WAS coming from it was a dim orangish yellow color. I was even able to look right at the bulb when on without hurting my eyes!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

A beam shot wouldn't have been all that good. . . . not even sure it would show up. That's how bad it was.

Well, it was okay. I planned to modify it anyway. So I took out the substandard reflector, put in a slightly modified Minimag reflector, and put an Arc board in it. To my amazement, it fit perfectly! The Arc board has a low dome on it, so the beam is more of a flood with a mildly brighter hotspot, but still quite good. 10 times better than it's original setup.

PoliceFront.jpg

Beam shot.

PoliceOn.sized.jpg

Anyway, all this to say, if you were thinking of buying one of these, make sure you intend to modify it or you'll be sorely dissatisfied.

Wildcat

Enlightened
Re: Ebay \"Police\" Light. . . . . Yuk! . . . Mod Time.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ebay \"Police\" Light. . . . . Yuk! . . . Mod Time.

Thanks for the modding opportunity, Wildcat!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
Re: Ebay \"Police\" Light. . . . . Yuk! . . . Mod Ti

I have the same light (thanks maverick) and wanted to mod it as well. I found out the reflector actually works quite well with a HD-Lux but the metall retaining ring that holds the reflector got stuck inside the head and untill I find a way to get it out I won't be able to finish my mod. I'm planning to use a badboy400 fitted into the stock bulb-holder and use this as heatsink for the lux but well, there still is this ******** retaining ring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
BTW: very nice mod... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ebay \"Police\" Light. . . . . Yuk! . . . Mod Ti

Thank you, chrisse242. It was a quick mod with a vaste improvement.

About that retaining ring. It seems to be a bit of a sloppy fit in the head. Perhaps a few gentle raps on it may dislodge it [that is, if the threads got out of track]. To turn mine, I used a pair of needle nose pliers opened up to go into the little notches. I hope you can get it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts