Interesting comment from Surefire (Beast)

Steve_West

Newly Enlightened
Got a question for y'all...

I was talking to one of the Tech support guys (Doug) at Surefire yesterday asking a few questions about my M6 (trying to see if I could find a longer run-time bulb, the KL6 was his answer). I have had a U2 pre-ordered since what seems like the beginning of time, and I asked about production of it - he said they were shooting for the end of July. I told him I had one more question and that was 'Were they ever going to make the HID light that I keep seeing pictures of in the catalog and here?" He said Yes and they would have it by the end of July. He went on to say it was going to be very limited and was going to be quite expensive... would not give me a price, but did make the comment that it was not going to be a light that many could afford... Has anyone else heard this or was he just telling me what I wanted to hear?

If this post needs to be in the HID section, please feel free to move it there

Thanks for any other info.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi and welcome Steve!

I too have heard that at some point a limited production of Beasts would be made available to the public; probably direct from SF on their web site only, because of the limited numbers and price. Like many things that eventually come from SF, time lines seem best "seen to be believed".

BTW, That's very promising news on the U2! I hope it bears up to be the case! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jim_F

Newly Enlightened
I just received an M6 last week and found out the KL6 would work. Has anyone done this? Any ideas how long the batteries would last. Hmmm........got me thinking now.

Steve_West

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo,Thanks for the welcome. I had been reading off and on here for some months now and finally couldn't stand it anymore and had to talk.... Really like your ending comment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hope they do get the U2 out... Seems to me that if SF could get their building-a-product act together, they would rule the world. I understand their commitment to quality though. I know they don't want to overextend on inventory as I am sure non of it is cheap, but it seems like they are constantly back-ordered.

Jim_F,
It seems to me that it would be a better deal for me to go ahead and buy an L6 and then buy a turbo head... that way I could have the M6 regular, M6 with "KL6" head, L6, and the equivilent of a C3/M3.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif He would not commit to a run time number other than 90 minutes for the M6/KL6... I asked him - why would it only be 90 min, the L6 has a 90 minute runtime with only 3 batteries... seems to me the M6 would run it for a bit longer (maybe not twice, but I would have thought it would be close)... I guess someone will have to try it and see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I guess we will see when it appears on the web-site.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're going to release the Beast from captivity?!? Will CPF'ers be safe?

Oh, drool. Okay, for some wild speculation (just in fun), I say $3,500.00 for the light...or is that too low? Hmm, I also wonder if any accessories will be offered...like a beamshaper (for $500.00)?!? Time for a group buy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
ok thats stupid its a metal tube that holds 12 batteries. waht coudl possibly make it so expensive.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
What can make it so expensive...name recognition.

I have a Hellfire (rechargeable Beast) and it is bright but VERY heavy and VERY cumbersome to use. I'd like to see what the latest generation of these looks like.

--dan

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
KenRad's 35W HID CR123 light $950.00 link /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

1373L.jpg

Later
Sway

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Beast is very tough. I've dropped one onto concrete several times and seen PK be very abusive towards it with what appeared to be total disregard for it's safety. However, it laughed at being dropped and whatnot. It's built to take a beasting so to speak.

Al

Crosman451

Newly Enlightened
Hey Sway,

We need to get one of these for our beam test shoot-out later this month. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt one will find it's way into my possession, but you never know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sway, is you avitar a picture of a KenRad?

-Mike

Crosman451

Newly Enlightened
I just got off the line with Marc at Kenrad, happened to catch them in the process of moving into a new location this weekend. I inquired about the PSL35 35W HID. He said they "hopefully will have the newer version in by the end of this month". Some of the features will be: water proof, detachable lithium battery, 35W & 50W feature and a focusable beam from flood to spot. He also said the price would be higher than before. Hey it's only money, right??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
$3500!!!, Is it because it is really waterproof? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Me thinks for that kind of money we could ask Mcgizmo to build one that would kick it's btt.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I think it's a Blitz SL240 on a spade's handle to help it point upwards. I think he posted the pic after doing the HID mod on it. I got this impression because I kept editing his pictures coz they appeared too dark on my monitor. Lol!

Ah.. .I found my evidence! Here it is! scroll down a bit to see my post... lol! Didn't realize Sway decided to use it as his avatar!

paulr

Flashaholic
I remember hearing that SF wasn't willing to release a HID light until they could develop one that turned on instantly without killing the batteries, or something like that.

A few CPF'ers have set up the M6/KL6 combo. In my opinion it looks a little goofy. But it does get long runtime.