Legend LX Mod 30mm optic ***New Pics***

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a mod of a Brinkman Legend LX. It uses the reflector of a mini mag because it was the only thing I had to use. Anyway, because of that, I had to use a couple of rubber spacers between the reflector and the lens. It uses resistance to the SYOLW Lux III star, two 1 watt 3.3 ohm resistors in parallel to keep the Luxeon from burning to a crips. It isn't as bright as I would have liked though. Perhaps I need to pick up some lower ohm resistors.

LXModFront.sized.jpg

Here's a beam shot:

LXModOn.sized.jpg

As a comparison, I put it up against an Arc low dome that also uses a custom minimag reflector. First, the Arc by itself.

ArcModOn.sized.jpg

And now, beam shot of them together:

LXModArcModOn.sized.jpg

I may put the Legend LX up for sale soon. It was just a project light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Legend LX Mod *Pics*

Cool! I love 3W LED mods!

Nice cat5 cables too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah. I took the pictures in a closet at work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I changed the LX a bit. I put a cut down 30mm optic in it. Here are the pics.

LXMod30mm.jpg

LXMod30mmOn.sized.jpg

An improvement?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

looks like a larger hotspot to me...quite nice.
Are the LUX readings higher?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have a lux reading device, but my eye sees the hotspot as brighter. It worked quite well in the back yard last night. I did change out the 3.3 ohms with a 2.2 ohms though. That makes it brighter. The 30mm makes the front end look a little better, since you have an optic that fits rather than space around the Minimag reflector.

Thanks for your input, BugLightGeek! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds great...I bet it looks more "finished" with the 30mm optics than the small minimag reflector in the bigger head.

What's the runtime on this?

way to go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't done a run time test yet, though I probably should. I just completed it and didn't have a lot of time to play with it.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

The hotspot with the 30mm is indeed brighter, even with a 5W Luxeon (2,910 lux from a meter away). You can read about it HERE.

But since I had no lathe I had to use wire cutters to trim the edge of the optic; notice how I craftily hid the resulting hideous edge in the pics... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I remember that mod of yours, MR Bulk. Very nice indeed. Your optic looks better than mine. I didn't have a very good looking one to start with, and also had to do the wire cutting methode to cut the lip off. I'd like to get another 30mm optic [a new one] to replace what is in there currently, so it would look better. Yeah, a lathe WOULD be nice, wouldn't it?!!

Thanks for the input, sir! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Well Thank YOu Orion for thinking of using it with the Lux3 to begin with. It was pretty okay with the 5W, but I never tried it with a single die which actually makes a better beam. And yes, a lathe would be the end of wishful dreaming, and the beginning of Forceful Doing!