Banggood Network
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SF "Classic": host to drop in LED light engines

Default SF \"Classic\": host to drop in LED light engines

Hi guys,

I let TylerDurden get me side tracked on a project that I wanted to visit later when I had production parts but since my boss can never get me to stay focused on the current work at hand when there are more fun things to experiment with.....

In a nut shell, The soon to be available McCapsule will digest into a classic body tube with no modification to the tube required. It just drops in. A modified McR-27 reflector is threaded past the threads in the C head and then free floats in captivity. When the head is screwed down onto the tube, verifying that the reflector has found center on the LED, the reflector and McCapsule end up in compression between the rear shoulder of the LA cavity in the battery tube and a lip in the head against the reflector. The only McCapsule I had that was built out was my prototype which has a BB and is set for 1x123. Consequently, the picture above is of a "mut" 3P. Since I don't have the time or components for verification, I don't know to what extent this drop in package will be compatible across all of the classic system. There may be some head specific mod requirements for the reflector. It may be that a universal geometry can be determined. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] I need to disappear for a while now and get some stuff shipped and parts prepped for the anodizer.

My first impression is that this is going to be fun! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] This is a real drop in module here and completely reversible with no modifications required. I think there's some more mileage left in these aluminum reflectors. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A two stage 6P with 5W LED might be pretty cool! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

*Flashaholic*

Default Re: SF \"Classic\": host to drop in LED light engin

I'm in for one.

Default Re: SF \"Classic\": host to drop in LED light engines

Don, you are the master of modular components !!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

Yet another dropin... or should I say screw in? ... module that is going to breed new life,, er Light, into old lights. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dang it Don!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif[/img]

This place is gonna be the end of me... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]

That's pretty darn cool! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Great idea guys!

I wonder if this would work in an E2C on a UBH II format (still C-series bezel)? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

That is a must have!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Man...Are you gonna make these as pure dropin with no assembly required or will they require a sandwich? And how much? Ballpark is fine. I'm thinking 3 watt Lux [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Guys,
    I am really premature on this one in terms of fit and function in the various hosts. All indications are good though. As I just posted in another thread to TylerDurden, the same module, shown above, can go from a LongBow host to this 3P in less than 60 seconds. It screws into the Long bow and just drops into the 3P.

Don,
    How bright (in your opinion) could you go with this idea in something like, say, a 9P?

Mike, if bright is by lumens, I would guess a 5W on a DB driven at 750 or more mA?!?!?!? Add a two stage switch and you don't have to drive the light at full throttle all the time.

If bright is by lux, then a LuxIII DB 700 or more.......

It will fit in a longbow? And I just bought a Micra...*Sniff, sniff*...I luv ya man!*Sniff*
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sorry Don- to clarify, I was thinking in terms of overall throw. I was thinking that I might need a little larger light with a good deal of throw to reach out and light things up sometimes. A SF D2 with a 6P to 9P adapter (if that works) would be the likely host.

Flashaholic

Poor man's KL5? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

This looks great Don.
    I have a question and it might be a dumb one, but can this also be used on an E series with the E2C.
    I think the answer is yes.
    This would open up even more for the modulariaty.

mut

Ok, I admit it, I am not all that knowledgable about Surefire lights.
    Especially when it comes to sizes, and what fits what.

How about a list, of what lights this dripin will fit? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Will it fit in a Z2? or M2?

[ QUOTE ]
    sidespill said:
    Poor man's KL5? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be truly sweet, wouldn't it? Ever since I saw the Surefire G2 to LuxIII mod I've been wondering how to do that quickly, easily and cheaply. I can't get hold of aluminium rods, that's the problem, and I don't have a drill. Investing in a decent drill would probably let me buy the less expensive SF lights with the same money [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but the parts bill would have come to just $15+$15. $80 for 80 lumens driven at 1 amp in a 6P body? Wow.

Now, if this could be done for a parts bill of say $40 ($15 for the Lux3, $15 for the DB converter (or resistor if you're really cheap. Could that be an option?), $10 for the McCapsule) that'd be awesome. Drop into a G2 for a $70 high powered 65 lumen LED, or the 6P if you like metal, at $90. Still easier on the wallet than a $140 L4..

If it fits the 6P, it should almost definitely fit the Z2, Z3, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, 9P, 3P. It seems like it would fit in the M2 as well, but the shock isolation stuff might cause a problem - just get a C2 bezel instead, you won't need the shock isolation for an LED.

I'll work on this some more in the next couple days. So far, I think I have the reflector modification down to work in the various heads I can test (6P, C2, M2, G2). There is an issue of nailing the required ground path in the plastic bodies. It may require a soldered skirt or perimeter wire on the PCB. The metal tubes are all working at present.

As for KevinL1's target prices, it looks like I modify these reflectors for free as well as provide them at no charge and Wayne sells the McCapsule for below his cost. Uh..... I think I'll pass! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Perhaps I should quit now without wasting further time and efffort. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] It looks like these parts will be available for modders who may not be after the cheapest possible solutions. Certainly if the components were done in lots of multi thousands, the costs could go way down. Not likely.

I am abit curious about the thermal issues of a 65 lumen 5W in a plastic body?!?!?!? Short bursts are one thing.

Don, what would a realistic price then be? Under or over a 100 bucks for a complete finished drop-in?

ErickThakrar,
    Are you talking about a parts bill as KevinL1 has brought up or are you talking about a turnkey drop in module. How many of these are you talking about? A couple? A couple hundred?

The McCapsule already exists and will be available on Wayne's shop soon. He is having discussions now with CPF members about the possibility of organizing some "runs". The McCapsule is already slated for DIY and build to suit for the LongBows. The only significant difference here is modification of a reflector or even ordering in a batch of reflectors specifically designed for this application.

I suppose for Wayne and I to both be more effective in serving the CPF community, especially on the TK level, we need to develope a means for gauging interest if not out right getting a list going. I have been running beyond my capacity for a while now in just getting some parts designed and manufactured. There have been second opperations and some "fixes" required that have also been up to me and demanding of my time and labor. I am just starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel and from a DIY point of refference, I have been showing some of this stuff since it will be available to the DIYers. Soon the parts will be a reality and then the question of what to do with them will need to be addressed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] I would like nothing more to turn these parts over to my marketing and assembly departments but I have discovered that these departments don't exist! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

You are asking me to be realistic. It may be a bit late for me to do *that*.

~ the short answer: ErickThakrar, I don't know the answer at this point, how many were you looking for? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Well... A simple "don't know yet" would have sufficed...Sheesh...
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm interested !

I'm very interested.

Erick,
    Sorry! I'm burnt!

Hey guys, I'm interested too! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    McGizmo said:
    As for KevinL1's target prices, it looks like I modify these reflectors for free as well as provide them at no charge and Wayne sells the McCapsule for below his cost. Uh..... I think I'll pass! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Perhaps I should quit now without wasting further time and efffort. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] It looks like these parts will be available for modders who may not be after the cheapest possible solutions. Certainly if the components were done in lots of multi thousands, the costs could go way down. Not likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

McGizmo,

My apologies if I came across as trying to say "sell them cheap" and I mean utterly no disrespect to the amount of work that goes into fabricating these things - work that many of us have neither the skills nor the capabilities to do.

Since no price has been given yet, what I did was base the estimated cost on that of another similar drop-in mod involving the eSink, eCan, DB converter and Lux3 which comes out to around $50 as a ballpark figure. It's just speculation on my part and not meant to say "I want these things cheap" because good engineering never came cheap. Cheap is $10 flashlights, not $150 SFs [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

This is just too cool. All kinds of possibilities. I guess I better keep my eyes peeled for a 3P, just in case.

That's about the last SF model I thought I'd be buying, next to the Wine Light. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]

More great ideas from McGizmo.

Don,

How does the McR-27 compare to the PR? Is it meant to be functionally identical, or does it have different beam characteristics?

Hey guys,

I messed around with these things some more and have had success in a G2 and G2Z. I had to extend the anode contact on the PCB in these plastic bodies and the cathode ring does require its circumfrence extended either with a piece of wire coiled and soldered on the perimiter or a thin washer soldered on. Certainly a doable mod but the "universality" is lost; unlike in the case of a metal battery tube or should I say the C2 body. The M2 bezel also works as a host.

One of the cool things with the plastic heads is that the threads go all the way so the reflector screws in snug against the front of the head and stays that way. Since the reflector doesn't float, more care is needed in assembly to keep the LED centered in the reflector. No big deal and unless you want to change out the LA, battery changes can be done from the rear anyway. I like the C2 with the 5W as it's a nice size and the beam is between the KL4 and KL5 in angle and spot size. I have a two stage switch installed in it and it's pretty nice. In the G2Z, I have left a LuxIII and DB917 and out of concern for thermal build up. I put in a two stage switch with a 30 ohm resistor. The low is brighter than I would normally have but I believe this would allow the G2Z to be operated on low more of the time and put less thermal demand on the LED engine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] Man, I just love messing around with this stuff and I'm sorry that it is not all available at reasonable prices and in TK format.

Tyler,
    The McR-27 is to the best of my knowledge using the same focal length parabolic surface as the original PR reflectors. Certainly the beam patterns are indistinguishable. I think it might be a bit brighter or more reflective. As I think I stated elsewhere, I'll let someone else be the judge of that. BTW, I dropped ne of these McCapsules, contact PCB's and modified reflectors in the mail to you this afternoon. I look forward to your "use" of it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Don,
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    My only concern is that some "other" project [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] gets "delayed" on some other "concerns" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] I'm holding out for the Aleph-3, but I think I being drawn to this... I have a Z3 and 6P waiting for "unobtainium KL5"

Don, I'm content just knowing you're having fun. Like Johnny, I don't want to distract you from your other projects, by demanding a copy of everything you show us. But, it's difficult. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As the demand keeps going up for a limited number of handbuilt custom lights...what people are willing to pay is going to go up too.

You've only got 168 hours per week and making sure Britt gets his Delrin L1 switch button, TK McE2S, and SF Classic 3P drop-in McModule all at proletarian prices is just too much demand on your time at wages I'd pay to have my lawn mown.

Fiddling and putzing in your shop and coming up with these cool examples of ingenuity and imagination is healthy for ya. Thanks for showing 'em to us. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Hey Don,
    If this comes to fruition further than this example - awesome!! As you say the 6P is really the interesting one as in the classic body - this is the most common... I'm looking at a different solution to this issue at the moment, but a drop in module & reflector would be shweeeeeeeeeeeeeettt!!!

As I said, if this is simply you mucking around, then we appreciate it - though if it is more, and it can be adapted for 6 volts.. well to be cliched - I'm interested!!

Thanks,
    Nathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast