E2e Laser pooped out. Might need an LED head.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Well, my 40mw laser in my E2e pooped out. Now I'm left with an apparently broken laser, a useless E2e bezel, and a useless custom machined aluminum sleeve. I think I'll try to salvage as much as possible from the laser. I'm never going to get involved with lasers again. If this laser proves to be completely destroyed, then I have lost $500 from being involved with lasers.

BUT, I still have the E2e body and tailcap. Can't let that go to waste!

So, which LED head should I get for it? I've heard about the PR-T but don't know much about it. How much better is it than the KL4?

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends. The McLux PR-T / PR have good sidespill and great throw. KL4 has great spill, not so good throw. I prefer the McLux PR lights myself.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 10 mw green laser fried a smt resistor on it's pc board
I have it installed in a bigger case with aa baterys.
I left it on too long I think or the lower internal cell resistance of the aa batterys caused the problem.
(1 ohm 10 ohms I do not remember)
I put a !/8 watt resister in it works fine now.
I hope you get lucky and it is a simple fix.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well that sucks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

depending on what type of output/runtime/beam profile you're looking for, i'd suggest a mclux pr or prt head for it, with a lux3 or lux5.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I'm contacting lasernerd to see if he might be able to take a look at it. Hopefully he will be able to fix it or at least salvage it for parts. (hopefully the diode isn't damaged)

If it gets fixed, I will still have it. Maybe even try to sell it.

But if not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, I'll try to get whatever I can salvaged.

Kongfuchicken, I can sell you the sleeve if this doesn't work out. But why do you want it? Are you trying to make a laser too?

Nerd2LED, since I didn't have a drill press or an adequate to drill the hole out, I was frugal and went with an abrasive cone the size of the hole. So other than the hole, the reflector is pretty scratched up and there are a few scratches in general on the outside HA3. The reflector wouldn't work with a normal E2e. So unless you also want to make an E2e laser, it wouldn't work for anything else.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ninja, if I recall, you got your laser from z-bolt, right? My brother has a laser like that and well, yeah I'd love to try to get it into an e1 body.
But I hope you get it repaired! These thigns cost a fortune... PM me if it doesn't work out.
BTW, this is OT but, have I seen you in CY6?
Your name seems familiar.