solitaire lux mod w/MJ's micro converter??

greenLED

Flashaholic
solitaire lux mod w/MJ\'s micro converter??

I want to put a LED into a solitaire. I've done the "3-or-5 mm LED + 12v batt + resistor" mod so far. It's easy to do, I can switch LEDs whenever I want and the battery so far has lasted some time (with intermitent use).

My next step would be to squeeeeeze a regulator circuit in there. I've been eyeing the one in the Dorcy 1AAA, but what I really want to do is put a 1W luxeon into a solitaire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'm aware of LED_asap's plug and the Micro-Lux but I want to make sure I can't build my own before buying one. I was wondering if anyone has tried using MJ's microconverter (shoppe's link) to build a quasi-sammie for a solitaire.

I haven't tried to take a Solitaire switch apart yet, but I'm guessing it works the same way as in the 2AA minimag. The first (OK, second or third) challenge that comes to my mind is how to make an emitter board or-the-likes to complete the circuit. I'm not even sure if the microconverter will power a 1W lux out of a single AAA (alkaline or nimh).

Any links to similar mods or suggestions as to how to do this are most welcome.

kenny

Newly Enlightened
Re: solitaire lux mod w/MJ\'s micro converter??

I've looked at that driver as well, but I'd like to see around 250-300 mA and something way less than $27 bucks (maybe a kit -- I don't mind assembly). Anyway, that's why I'm balking

greenLED

Flashaholic

How much current does the MJ driver spit out?

Yeah, a kit of some sort would be nice.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

MJ spits out bout 250-350ma or sometin like dat...

neg

paulr

Flashaholic

I don't understand why anyone wants to do fancy mods for the Solitaire. It's a junk light. There are three different contact pieces in the tail to crap out. There's a spare incandescent bulb taking space in the tail cap which is useless if you've done a LED mod. The outside finish wears off in your pocket so the light looks like heck after a while.

There are similar Luxeon mods for the Arc AAA which is about a billion times better light to start with. I really wouldn't bother with the Solitaire.

Mgz

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I don't understand why anyone wants to do fancy mods for the Solitaire. It's a junk light. There are three different contact pieces in the tail to crap out. There's a spare incandescent bulb taking space in the tail cap which is useless if you've done a LED mod. The outside finish wears off in your pocket so the light looks like heck after a while.

There are similar Luxeon mods for the Arc AAA which is about a billion times better light to start with. I really wouldn't bother with the Solitaire.

[/ QUOTE ]

but AFAIK the Arc AAA does not come in red, blue,etc anodized and not any one can get a Arc AAA (ie: Canada).

paulr

Flashaholic

There were red and blue CPF editions of the Arc AAA, but yes, those are hard to find (ask on BST if you really want one).

Regular Arc AAA's are plentiful. Arc may have some in stock again, and if not, I'm sure some CPF'er can sell you one. You could also buy some of the Peak Led parts since you're doing a mod and you don't need the Arc electronics.

Noxiousbt

Newly Enlightened

Greenled,
Back on topic here. Thought I would give you some solid information on the MJ'S since I hadden't read any above.
The MJ Micro Converter, as sold from the Shoppe, delivers 155mA to the led(s) from a 1.2V - 1.6V input. I could be off a tenth or so off on the input voltage,but I don't think I am. Hope this helps with

pbarrette

Enlightened

Hi GreenLed,

This is exactly what I am trying to do as well. I am trying to get a 1W LS into a Solitaire and I'm finding it to be a rather difficult prospect.

I also looked at the MicroConvertor, but I want to be able to screw the head all the way down and the board's 9.5mm diameter means that it will not fit into the normal solitiare pill space which is ~7mm dia. So if you used that convertor, it would have to sit on top of the soli's body. Then add lux-to-body heatsink, then lux and the size becomes such that the soli head would no longer screw down completely.

I've been playing with a Zetex IC based convertor and have made a size which seems to fit perfectly into the stock soli pill-space, but I am only able to get about 150mA out of that circuit with 1xAAA. This doesn't surprize me as I am almost positive that the MJ convertor is the exact same circuit. That also means that the MJ board should operate well below 1.2v in, but the current supplied to the LED will drop as well since the ZXSC300 setup is really a voltage regulator and the current drops with V drop.

I've decided that I'm satisfied with the 150mA to the Lux 1W, but the real problem now is the mechanical engineering involved in building a case around the circuit that allows me to keep the normal operation of the light and has adequate heatsinking. The tolerances involved are very small, which makes this extremely difficult without having access to a lathe or milling machine.

Finally, even using a high dome 1W, the beam isn't collimated enough on its own to match the hotspot given off my my new Xnova 1AAA with 3x5mm LEDs. I'm sure that the total light output is higher with the Lux, but it is spread out over a much wider angle which makes for a much more dim appearance. This means that I'd like to use a reflector or an optic to help control the beam pattern, but none of the standard lux optics are small enough to fit as stock. I could cut one down to size, but then I'm sacrificing a lot of light since the optics weren't meant to be that small to begin with.

So I'm not trying to discourage you here, but it is a lot more difficult than I had originally anticipated simply due to the mechanics involved.

And for those that say "The Soli is trash! Use an Arc instead!":
Where can I find a ready source of Arc AAA bodies, complete with reflector, lens, fresh battery and an empty Arc AAA head at ~$5.50 or less? If you are willing to source it at that price, then I'll consider it. Until then, don't sidetrack me with crap I didn't ask for.

pb

greenLED

Flashaholic

I have to agree with paulr: the Solitaire comes with a crappy light. I'm taking it as a cheap $6 host for a mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I absolutely love the form factor of the Solitaire and if I can fit a Lux there somewhere I'll have my EDC. Black is generally my color choice, but I can't deny I drool over the pewter, or that red one I saw the other day, or... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Most of it is simply the challenge of helping a crappy light achieve a higher purpose in life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for sharing technical info and building challenges Noxiousbt and Pbarrette. I'm such a noob I hadn't even thought of measuring the guts of the light to see if MJ's converter would fit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Pbarrette, if the lux doesn't give a spot brighter than 3x5mm LEDs then I'm not sure I want to use a Lux... I might try just 'cuz sometimes I'm stubborn. Did you modify the reflector like this fellow CPFer did (here)? Looks like LED_ASAPs plug has a brass ring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif as heatsink. Maybe you can find a tiny washer somewhere?

EDIT: I just found this close-up pic of LED_ASAPs plug. Maybe it helps you with the heatsinking issue?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Greenled,

MJ also did a SMC- Super Micro Convertor. It is 1/4" dia! I don't know if any are available or what the specs are. You might do a search.

Larry

paulr

Flashaholic

Greenled, given the work involved in the mod, and the cost of an MJ converter if you use one, saving money by using a Solitaire as a host is a silly form of economy. You end up with a much less reliable light mainly because of the battery contacts. Modded Arc AAA's show up on BST in the $65 range. Even if using a Solitaire saves $20, you're left with a $45 light that's nowhere near as good. It doesn't seem worth it.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Paulr, I agree with your financial assessment and totally understand your point of view on the ArcAAA. I'm also disappointed with the lower output compared to 3x5mm LED, as Pbarrette mentioned. I thought I'd get much brighter output using a Lux, that was my main motivation in trying to make this happen. That, and the challenge of making something tiny that would fit a flashlight body I really like.

Hey Pbarrette, given the lower output of the Lux, do you think a 5mm LED and a Zetex be as bright? Anybody else has a feeling for this? This should fit inside the Soli, right? I've never built any kind of circuit before.

*Retired*

I was insanely happy with mine, and definitely would not have considered the ARC AAA.

solilux.jpg

soliraw.jpg

luxaaa.gif

More here:
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/mag_soli.jpg
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/magsol1.jpg
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/sol_inv.jpg
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/solib1.jpg
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/solinar.jpg
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/soliwide.jpg
Prototype here:
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/sminver.jpg

More details on the circuit:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=446010

paulr

Flashaholic

I dunno, I have a stock Solitaire that I bought new and was happy with for a while, but within a year or so it had gotten flaky. No amount of straightening or cleaning the contacts has made it work reliably again. It is useless now. NewBie, I hope your Solitaire doesn't develop the problems that mine has. I guess I could send mine to Mag for a warranty repair (I switched to better lights instead), but I'm sure they won't touch a modded one.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Hoooolly Shhh...olitaires!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif You'da man, NewBie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

WOW factor=15/10. Gives me hope that putting a lux in a Soli is indeed possible. How in the world do you work with such small components??!! I don't think I can ever replicate something like it...

How's the runtime with a 1W lux? (You used a 3W, right?) How does the on/off function work? You are not using any reflector, right? Any shots of the finished "plug", or did you simply pot everything in thermal epoxy?

WOW... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

EDIT: Never mind, this thread answers my last couple of questions. The one on runtime still remains. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*Retired*

As I recall, I'm running a LXHL-PW09 TWOK at 200 or so milliamps. The details are in one of my old posts, that I do believe I linked. I like the efficiency improvements you get in a under driven luxeon in this case. The Luxeon is thermal epoxied to a nice thick copper slug, and the whole thing is thermal epoxied to the case of the Solitare in order to maximize thermal transfer.

Keeping the emitter absolutely cool as possible is extremely important to getting the highest efficiency out of the luxeon. You can see this if you look at the luxeon datasheets and look at die temperature vs. light output.

The head has a lens in it. The on-off is accomplished in the tail section. Chopped off the default stuff, drilled out the base, in order to get a more solid connection, so that I could minimize electrical resistance. You'd prolly be quite surprised in how much resistance is in flashlight springs...

Well, after a few too many of these sorts of mods, and darn near going cross-eyed, I finally got one of those head visor magnifiers. BTW, there is a large difference in the quality of those...

paulr

Flashaholic

NewBie, oh cool, yeah, the tail springs are crap and are why my Solitaire doesn't work. If you ripped that stuff out and put in something more solid, that fixes my main reservation about using the Solitaire as a host.

A friend of mine got a really nice stereo microscope at a hamfest for a couple hundred bucks. It's great for working on circuits (10x-30x zoom, I think). Wide field and sharp from edge to edge. I've never seen a visor magnifier anywhere near as good as that.