how much are the leds in inova x-5 overdriven

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wondering how much these guys are over driving these suckers Any regulation or resistors used? thanks in advance

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, no resistors. I am trying to remember off the top of my head, but I think the voltage drop was 5.76 something volts across the head (all 5 LEDs) and over 260 mA = over 52 mA per LED. Pretty badly overdriven. Half-life of the LEDs would be expected to be 2000 to 4000 hours at this rate of current draw.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
...Half-life of the LEDs would be expected to be 2000 to 4000 hours at this rate of current draw.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does "half-life" in this context mean the point at which the LEDS are only putting out half the amount of light per volt than when new?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there must be some sort of resistor in it because if you run it at 4.5v it's no brighter than a photon II.
shocked.gif
Plus, the LED's have a good heatsink (the bezel).

So something is keeping them from running at "full power" unless you apply the full 6v.

But I'm not tearing mine apart to find out!
smile.gif

Hey Craig, I hear the "Punnishment Zone" could tear up the X5, then we could find out what's inside!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
half-life = time before LEDs put out 1/2 the light from when they are new.

I cannot find any way to open the bezel.

Don't assume that the LEDs are heatsinked to the bezel... you don't know how their held in there..... Maybe heat conductive epoxy, maybe not! I never received a response from Innova regarding this.