future batteries for flashlights?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a output of 100 milliwatts, it's good enough for a single 5mm LED @ 27ma @ 3.6 volts. Not very bright. The size is not very small either, a single AA battery can power the infinity original for 40 hours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sharp

Enlightened
Quoted from the article: "Fuel cells have been touted as a green power source for the future as they produce electricity by converting hydrogen and oxygen into water."

I think the possible future for these batteries is just that they're considered "green" and non-polluting. Other than this, there are much better batteries than this, than can power Digital Music Players for much more than 20 hours. This is personal experience here.
I don't really see some true advancement in these cells.

Ranieri

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet the first alkaline batteries weren't that great either...
Maybe these fuel cells will evolve a bit... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Sharp

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kongfuchicken said:
I bet the first alkaline batteries weren't that great either...
Maybe these fuel cells will evolve a bit... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, just as rechargeable lithium cells evolved into Li-Polymers, and normal AA sized cells into L91's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif...
It would be interesting to see how they'd evolve, if they successfully enter the market.

Richard

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the biggest selling point is not the energy density but the "greeness" of the fuel cell. Instead of methanol which is currently being used, think ethanol. Not widely used at the moment because of taxation laws (relating to alcoholic drinks), ethanol can be made from many types of plants, thus removing our need for fossil fuels. And having those plants in the first place does help with the whole green image, even if the carbon is merely being recycled instead of being sinked, which is what is really needed at this time.

L3

Newly Enlightened
Discerening what the future holds is clearly a source of intrigue for many.

Yet, for most people, the future is a dark totally unfathomable abyss, until its realities crystallize into our present. However, through the gateways of invisible, higher dimensions, it is reachable in a direct and random access manner.

It is the 'gifted ones' who hold the keys to this limited access.

L3