Anyone know about these Darrel Ralph knife kits??

SMcGill

Newly Enlightened
I have made one of the smaller DR knife kits and I really enjoyed making it. It can be as easy or as difficult as you want. I have seen some of these kits with polished blades, engraved bolsters, pearl scales and filework going for $200 at knife shows. I believe the blade is AUS-8, and I was a little disappointed with the grind on the blade edge, they are a little uneven and look like they were done with a dremel tool. The fit and finish on the knife is pretty nice, and the pieces go together well. I bought some pre-drilled G-10 scales for mine, and all I had to do was sand them down to the contour I wanted. I am actually in the process of taking it apart and buffing all of the pieces to see how it looks polished. The kits are made in Taiwan, and they have a similar bead-blasted finish that you would find on a CRK&T knife. I like the kit and I would like to get another one some day.

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
These kits can be very nice when well done. The parts are well made and solid. As with the above I have seen them for sale at gun shows. I have even seen a few makers passing them off as "custom" folders and selling them for even more. Also check out the kits at http://www.talonman1.com not quite as nice but more variety and cheap. I have built several knives from him and enjoyed them all.
Patrick

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Re: Anyone know about these Darrel Ralph knife kit

The DR kits are actually pretty nice. They're meant to be finished by the enduser and as such the edges may be a little rough. Clean it up yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
AUS8 is actually not a bad steel either, although I would love to see them with some...Say...S30V or even D2 or some other higher grade steel. Knifekits.com is also really easy to deal with and they ship their stuff out quick. Check out the gallery as well to see some examples of how nice these kits can turn out.

The Talonman knives...Erh...Yeah, they seem to be mostly made from 420 stainless and that's frankly a pretty crappy steel. I wouldn't bother.

TOB9595

Enlightened

Ticey,
Nothing wrong with Aus8 steel.
I've seen some that buds have made and they are a very nice kit.
As said above...spend some time on the blade edge, maybe using a Lansky with coarse and fine stones to reprofile. strop on leather or your jeans and you'll have a knife that you'll be most proud of. Me, I'd use DMT diamond stones on the Lansky.

If you don't have a Lansky or a method of sharpening...send me an email and I'll loan you mine.
I don't have the use of both hands for a bit so it's just sitting.
Maybe send a book too ..
RAZOREDGE BOOK OF SHARPENING
That ejukated me on the blade edge
Tom

jtice

Flashaholic

Tom, thanks.
I have a Lansky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif with Diamond stones.
I find I dont use it as much as I thought I would, I like to use it just for re-profiling.
I find I can actually get knives really sharp, fairly fast, on a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

I need to find a strop, those really do a great job of finishing the surface.
I use cardboard sometimes, that seems to do OK.

I think I will get one of these kits, I want to make one like this.
ddr3-1.jpg

Heres a button lock version !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
ddr3_bl550.jpg

Thanks alot for the comments and help guys !!

-John

TOB9595

Enlightened

yEP, iUSE CARDBOARD TO STROP.
i'M LOOKIN TO SEE THE REVIEW, TICEY AND THE STEP BY STEPS
%$^&*caplocks
That is one fine looking kit, my friend!!
Tom