Mountain Bikes from Walmart. Are they reliable??.

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any experience with the brands of mountain bikes, that walmart sells, like mongoose, next, etc?, there cheap in price, and I know there not for serious mountain biking which I dont do anyway. Just something reliable to get back and forth from work everyday, and to go on a long ride without having any troubles?, thanks in advance.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't waste your money, they're junk. Poorly assembled junk to boot.

Visit a local bike shop to get yourself a decent bike. If you're not going off-road, a cross-bike or hybrid would probably be a better option. Expect to pay around $300 (and up) for a decent quality, entry level bike.

Peter

Frangible

Enlightened
Re: Mountain Bikes from Walmart. Are they reliable

From what I hear, the materials on some of them are OK, but not the most lightweight or comfortable. Another big part is assembly-- they have some untrained dude making minimum wage assembling it, a real bike mechanic putting it together and fitting it for you personally is gonna be a whole nother experience.

gadgetnut

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:

Visit a local bike shop to get yourself a decent bike. If you're not going off-road, a cross-bike or hybrid would probably be a better option. Expect to pay around $300 (and up) for a decent quality, entry level bike.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]Gee, that's funny....Me, my wife, and our 11 yr old son each have a Mongoose mountain bike from Wal-Mart. We've had them for three years now and have not had any problems withy any of them. Granted, we don't do any serious mountain biking, so they aren't subjected to any harsh abuse. But for bike trails, rides around the neighborhood, campgrounds and general use, they have been ideal. And, if memory serves me, I think we bought all three for the price of one bike from a bike shop.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gadgetnut said:
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]Gee, that's funny....Me, my wife, and our 11 yr old son each have a Mongoose mountain bike from Wal-Mart. We've had them for three years now and have not had any problems withy any of them. Granted, we don't do any serious mountain biking, so they aren't subjected to any harsh abuse. But for bike trails, rides around the neighborhood, campgrounds and general use, they have been ideal. And, if memory serves me, I think we bought all three for the price of one bike from a bike shop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I came off as a bike snob, but I stand by what I said.

bigmikey asked about a reliable bike to commute to work on. There is no way that I would consider a Wal-mart bike for this, it's simply not up to the task.

For puttering around occasionally, a Wally bike might be OK, but they are not built for reliability or comfort. They are built for one thing only-- to be inexpensive. So much so, that they're usually not worth making repairs to when they need them, you're better off to start over with a new one.

It's all about yours needs (and expectations) as a rider. If you really want to enjoy your riding, make sure to visit a real bike shop. What they offer is a whole different world compared to a discount store. Once you ride a "good" bike you will find it hard to go back to something from Wallyworld. Dept. stores bikes are not "ideal" for anything. Yes, a "real" bike is more expensive, but it offers value. The cheapies do not, they are disposable.

If you do get a dept. store bike, I would *strongly* suggest letting a qualified bike shop take a look at it's assembly. Most likely they will want to make some adjustments. I worked in bike shops for 15 years, and I saw some really scary "assembly" jobs from the big box stores. Things that could hurt you or your children.

Peter

gadgetnut

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
bigmikey asked about a reliable bike to commute to work on. There is no way that I would consider a Wal-mart bike for this, it's simply not up to the task.

[/ QUOTE ]Not up to the task? Unless his commute to work involves rough mountain trails, he'd be fine. I've probably put hundreds of miles on my Wal-Mart bike by now.

[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:For puttering around occasionally, a Wally bike might be OK, but they are not built for reliability or comfort.

[/ QUOTE ] I'll give you the comfort one. The first thing I did was buy better seats for them. But as I said, they've proven to be very reliable to date.
Don't get me wrong; I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." I have no doubt that a more expensive bike from a bike shop will be a better made bike. But do you really need it to be that good? For our uses, anything more than what we bought would have been a waste of money.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is some relevant info from the Consumer Reports website:

"Whichever bike you choose, there's good reason to buy it from one of the nation's 5,300 bike shops, rather than from a department or toy store. And you don't have to spend a fortune. We found fine choices for pavement rides that cost less than $300 and very good bikes for off-road cycling for $440. The bikes for serious trail riding cost $1,000 or more, and they're worth every penny.

Deal with a bike shop. You'll generally pay $250 or more at a bike shop, versus $100 and up in a department or discount store, but you'll get more for the money. The bikes tend to be better-made, and you can usually road test them. Most come in several sizes, often including versions proportioned for women. (Women with a longer-than-average torso may get a better fit with a "man's" frame.) Some women's bikes have a step-through frame, but others have the same standard frame as men's bikes. The staff typically knows how to fit you for a frame and adjust components. Bike-shop mechanics tend to do a better job assembling bikes than department-store employees, and bike shops offer after-sale service. A shop can help you choose a helmet, too. (See our July 2004 bike helmets report for our latest helmet tests.)

Don't be cheap. A bargain price sounds enticing, but you get what you pay for. Bikes selling for $100 to $200 are usually heavier than higher-priced bikes, harder to pedal and shift, and unlikely to fit well because most come in only one frame size. When we tested three mass-market bikes, their quality and performance were below those of the bikes in the Ratings. (See Cheap bikes: No bargain.) Consider low-priced bikes only for the most casual adult riders or for kids who will quickly outgrow them.

Cheap bikes are not bargains

Wal-Mart and Toys "R" Us sell plenty of bikes from brands such as Huffy, Mongoose, Roadmaster, and Schwinn for $100 to $200. They seem like good deals, so why would we advise you to spend $300 or more for a bike in the Ratings?

Because you get what you pay for. Mass-market bikes have cheaper construction than higher-priced bikes and can weigh 7 or 8 pounds more. They come in only one size, so you're not likely to get a great fit. And mass merchants can't match bike shops for quality of assembly, expert advice, and service.

Consider cheaper bikes from a department store only for the most casual adult use, and stick with a front-suspension model, which is likely to be better than a cheap full-suspension bike. You may want a mass-market bike for kids who will outgrow a bike quickly or toss it about."

gadgetnut

Enlightened
And yet our cheapo Wally bikes have never let us down....not once in three years. That tells me more than 10 articles.

matt_j

Enlightened
Well when i was growing up I had one of those Wally bikes. Not a big problem and I did some crazy stuff on it. Well that bike served me from time I was 16 until I wa 25. When I started making money I went to the bike shop and bought the real bike. Yes I did feel the difference, better handling, lighter, better breakes, shifters etc etc... But in the end if your bike is maintained and you do casual riding it doesn't matter what you get. It's hard to go from "pro" bike back to "wally" bike since you miss certain things that you took for granted with a better bike. But in the end my school or work or hang out trip is exactly the same on either of these bikes.

Matt

PeterB

Enlightened
I remember Mongoose and Schwinn as high end bikes (maybe 10 or 15 years ago) are they really cheap walmart bikes now? In Germany you don't see them often.

jtice

Flashaholic
I have been amazed by what you can buy at walmart these days.

I have an old Specialized Stump Jumper,, cost $700+ years back.

Now, for $200, I can get a Shwinn bike at wally world, that has Shimono shifters, and dual shocks !!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

For $150 to $200, how can you go wrong? Hell, if you break the thing, buy another !
Your still half the cost of one out of a hard core biking store. lol

Unless you are a super hard core rider, in races etc, I think the ones at walmart are fine.

Actually, my Specialized, is busted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Needs a whole new derailer system, well , for the cost of that, I can buy a new bike at walmart, so I might just do that.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my take on this as an used-to-be biker, but I'd support my local bike shop.

Keep the local guy in business, get a more customized fit, learn about what to do and not do with your bike, and learn how to maintain it properly from a knowledgeable craftsman/woman, all in one place.

However, I admit to not being a fan of WallyWorld, but that's because I've dealt with too many clueless and/or "don't give a f***'s" there. I never want to set foot in another WalMart, even if it costs me more somewhere else. From my experience, their people aren't up to it, they drain resources from the communities they're in, and their labor practices stink (and I'm fairly conservative).

- (a different) Craig

DLG

Newly Enlightened
Try this.

Go to Walmart and ask some bike questions.

Go to your local bike shop and do the same.

From the answers received, make your place to purchase decision.

mbs

Newly Enlightened
Here is some advice from a former mountain biker:

Go to a bike shop that sells last year's models. You get a quality bike, great service and pay less than the current model. Most of the time, bike shops have a warantee and a free tune up.

Also keep in mind that Shimano has different levels of components. There is a difference in the department store components vs. bike shop

I think Wally's world is ok for a childs bike which will be quickly outgrown. Stick to a bike shop for an adult bike.

Good luck,

Myron

(patiently waiting for the discussion about clip vs clipless pedals)

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mbs said:
(patiently waiting for the discussion about clip vs clipless pedals)

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, I'll bite. When I started really using clips and cycling shoes, I thought it was the best thing ever. Like having another person on board pedalling with you. Clipless was even better - finally a convenient way to snap in and out of the pedals. Awesome. Also made it practical for off-road use as well.

So then my sister started getting into cycling and eco-racing and asked me for advice. I recommended getting clipless pedals. She immediately got them and proceeded to fall off of her bike over and over again. Massive bruising. Of course you have to remember to snap out of the pedal before you stop, but that was a hard habit for her to learn. I don't think she has forgiven me yet. Moral of the story: Clipless pedals are one of the best things to ever happen to cycling, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

wiredgargoyle

Newly Enlightened
Wal Mart/Big Retail Chain bikes are ok for the non-serious rider. They tend to be heavier, use less reliable parts and are less 'fixable' than the comparable local bike store bike. They also tend to be cheaper, costwise.

They're built usually by people who also build other things at the store, generally for minimum wage with very little care for what they're doing.

SUGGESTIONS: Check out the 'everyday commuter' type bikes at the local bike store. Ask why they're better than the bikes at Wal Mart, get explanations about things you don't understand. Remember, it all comes down to two wheels, a handlebar and pedals turning a chain. Everything else is gravy...well add brakes to that equation...

What you'll get from a bike store is a bike you can take back and have work done on it without complications. By complications I mean, the bike mechanic will have to 'fit' tires, pedals, gears, brakes, etc. to a Wal Mart bike which may or may not work perfectly. The retail store don't offer bike mechanics to service the bikes they sold, they might offer to ship it to the manufacturer to get that tire changed tho'.

A Wal Mart bike might last you for years without any major problems, they tend to be built like tanks...and weigh as much too. If you're willing to either buy it boxed and build it yourself or go over the pre-built bike once you get home assuming you have any bike mechanical knowledge (they're not THAT complicated) than it's a great deal. Just VERIFY that it was built right, check the screws, bolts, etc for torque/tightness. Make sure everything is facing the right way and all the parts are there.

I recommend local bike shops because you deal with a person who rides a bike, fixes bikes and started a store to do these things for other people. Yes, you will pay more for a bike but you will get an added bonus with that purchase. A bike built by a bike mechanic who knows where everything goes without looking at the instructions. You'll also probably get some perks like free flat fixes for a year or for life even, a one-year free tune-up to make sure everything is wearing correctly. Access to quality products and services that Wal Mart doesn't have.

I spent 16 odd years on Wal Mart-type bikes, did things with those bikes that make me shiver today. I broke a few but I deserved everything I broke on them. The last 18 years have been on local bike shop bikes, I've paid more for them but I also got some insight into how to ride them and where to ride them. I was hooked up with our local bike advocacy group through the shop, gone drinking and riding with the staff and got more free adjustments, tuneups, advice and philosophy than Wal Mart ever could offer.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend and how much you trust what's down there propelling you across those streets. That Wal Mart bike will get you there in the same fashion as a bike shop bike.

BTW, Wal Mart's employee treatment policies and subjugation of the local retail markets should be the deciding factor in choosing to spend your money there rather than what bikes they offer. But that's my personal opinion.

Good luck and enjoy your bike.

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I will take a trip down to my local bike shop.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had the same question about 8 years ago. I needed to shed a few pounds and wanted to get a bike as a fun way to do it. I started looking for used bikes and didn't have much luck so I took a stroll into one the local shops. Over a period of time and quite a few different sources, the advice that's been offered here to deal with a bike shop took root.

Now, I was looking to spend $50 and then said well maybe $100 for something in really good shape. A bike selling for $400-500 was laughable to me (you know, kinda like $150 for a flashlight). I took the bait and like someone else said, I bought last years model for about $300-350.

I got a mountain bike for the cool factor and rode it on the street. I wouldn't even put it the garage - kept it in the house. The first time I took a ride on trails, you couldn't even tell what color it was - and I was hooked. The initial money for the bike was nothing - I spent at least 4-5 times that on bike related "stuff" since then.

My original justification for the decent bike was that when I sold it after 3-6 months, I'd get alot more of my money back than on a cheapie.

I know the difference in price between WalMart and the bike shop seems silly, but only until you learn about the differences. Pretty much like someone else said - like the difference between a SF and a mag (and I'm not a SF fan). I admit that I've looked at some of the full suspension bikes at Sam's and Costco for $250-300 and been tempted by all the features, but they're the very reason NOT to buy a cheapie. The more "complicated" the bike is, the more important it is that it's quality.

A possible compromise is a discounter like ****'s. At least they employ a full time mechanic. Like others said, talk to your retailer. You'll know quickly if they're knowledgeable.

My last suggestion is to take a bike repair course. It was the best thing that I did while biking.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
It's like comparing mag to surefire.

Both make light.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more like comparing a plastic flashlight from the Dollar store to a SureFire.

The beauty is that you don't have to go all the way to a SureFire though. You can always opt for something in the middle, say like the bicycle equivalent of a Streamlight Stinger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You can only get it at a bike shop though.

The bike you buy from a bike shop is a machine- a "tool" if you will. The bike you get from a big box store is a novelty item.

Peter