The most handy EDC I have found so far is ....

Trojan

Newly Enlightened
Nokia 1100! The one with the LED torch built in.
I know I am asking for trouble posting this here but this have turned out to be the one I carry the most around with me and used the most.

But here is why:
- I always have my phone with me so I don't have to carry anything extra
- It has a huge battery life due to its 850mAh Li-Ion battery (yes I know the phone uses up some of it)
- It is always very full as I charge my phone every night
- Can find a Nokia charger where ever I go to recharge
- Easily modded to a brighter LED

I'm personally surprised more manufacturers don't add it to their phones.

stockae92

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ditto

my phone is great for close up work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing wrong with that. A flashaholic will of course carry more lights, and the more, the better.. now, all you need is a Photon to go on your keyring (you won't even notice. It may even be smaller than some keys), or the Arc AAA. But it's true, the phone for many is a must-have EDC. That it has a light is even better than having to use the dim glow from the backlight to work by. One phone I used to have had this cyan backlight that would light up the place pretty good in complete darkness with dark-adjusted eyes.

My phone on the other hand always seems to be low on battery power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

simbad

Enlightened
I ve seen that Nokia yesterday from a friend and it has two little square leds together that make a comparable beam to a Photon light, with that huge lithium battery must work for months.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

pc_light

Enlightened
Hi Trojan:

I have to admit that in a pinch when I just happen not to have a light, I've resorted to the cellphone LED's glow.

I've read where the Nokia 3200's built in LED is even brighter then the 1100. Thus far it seems only Nokia has this feature.

Any modders out there willing to try?!

Reno

Enlightened
My Nokia 6230 has no flashlight, but the backlight on that screen is bright enough to navigate around the house with!!

My buddy is a wireless rep, and his 3200 gets pounded by my Arc AAA. No comparison. It's only marginally brighter than my TFT backlight.

Still, it's a cool idea. Hope it sees more development in future models....

simbad

Enlightened
Well, these two Nokia's leds are recessed at the side of the gold contacts for the charger/hands free ports and covered by a plastic "window", they look like two rectangular Luxeons but my Arc AAA is much brighter though.

pyro

Enlightened
Is there room for a well heatsinked Luxeon? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

impact_blue

Newly Enlightened
Hey All,
My girfriend has one of these; that I bought for her (cause it had a light/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif) To clarify, the Nokia 1100 actually has a dedicated white LED in the head of it - you press the "C" button at the root menu and it 'ignites' the LED for a nice white beam. Around as good as a Photon II in practice (which I also bought for her LOL) this is pretty sweet! As it is an inexpensive mobile (in relation to other phones) I was tempted to buy to to stick a Luxeon into it - I'm not sure on the heatsink side, but I'm pretty sure you could jerry rig something. The chassis of the phone is plastic so no relief there - on a whole as long as it's used intermiddantly and not over driveen (test and resist the load being supplied) these should be managable.... there is defantly enough room for the Lux itself - hmm got to go play now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers,
Nathan.

Latest posts