Best Lux3 colour bin for dimming

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icarus's nFlex mod and a comment in this thread made me
wonder about the best colour bin for use in a dimmable flashlight.

My 3-cubed mod (unknown bin lux3) is nice and white at
800 mA but fairly green when dimmed.

Should a person buy the blue-est lux3 they can find so
that the colour is better when dimmed?

Thanks - Greg

cy

Flashaholic
I don't know if there is a corolation, but my R2H MM+ and BB500 sammies seems to have a better color on 16 ohm low in firefly. VS MM+ Tbin on 16 ohm low firefly.

All three of my MM+ Tbin sammies are greenish on 16 ohm low, firefly. Including one of the MM+ Tbin which is blueish on high.

Does anyone know if lower vf makes any difference.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TX1J is not green as you might think when you look at the pictures. At the lowest (nightlight) level it's more yellow compared to the white of the higher levels but not green at all. However I think a WA or WO will do better at the lowest level too.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Just to add some more information to this thread, I have two of McGizmo's L1/2x123 mods.

#1: TWAK is white on low

#2: X4T 5 watt has a warm and slightly green tint on low

Both lights are great on high.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Within a few days I'll do my next nFlex mod. Then I'll be able to try different emitters. I'll post my findings here.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are using a PWM driver with constant output current that only truly only regulates the pulse width, and not peak shape, the difference in color tint should be very small.

If you are like me, and use resistors sometimes (for very small builds), then you will see a slight tint variation (a couple if nm) toward the yellow side as you run from 800 ma down to 40 ma.

With a Lux III, this is such a premium bin setup, that I am pretty happy with all of them I have seen (unless you start shining a bunch of them at the same wall)

Bins toward the blue side will tend to shift into pure white when under driven. You will note that if you overdue this effect, you can end up with a purplish tint. (see the CIE curves)