AOL & Ebay ????????????? ??? ???

TheBeam

Enlightened
Yesterday when I logged on to Ebay.com, I noticed something unusual.

The address bar said "my.aol.ebay.com". I thought this was unusual so I logged off, and ate my cookies then deleted all files. I go back there and the same thing happened.

Today I go back there expecting to see the same thing, and I never saw anything about AOL.

I don't have AOL and never used it. I cruised through the financial news and saw nothing about a partnership.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Should I be worried? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I am... .... HELP!

Thanks

Aten_Imago

Banned
Oh no! The two 'baddies' of e-commerce have finally teamed up. Since I boycot both...I'll have to rely on you to tell us what develops next. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
TheBeam said:
Yesterday when I logged on to Ebay.com, I noticed something unusual.

The address bar said "my.aol.ebay.com". I thought this was unusual so I logged off, and ate my cookies then deleted all files. I go back there and the same thing happened.

Today I go back there expecting to see the same thing, and I never saw anything about AOL.

I don't have AOL and never used it. I cruised through the financial news and saw nothing about a partnership.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Should I be worried? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I am... .... HELP!

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

TheBeam

Enlightened
I'm not sure if they teamed up. I saw NOTHING like that today. Could I have been magically redirected by some ID thief?

TheBeam

Enlightened
That did it. That is a straight link to my account, already logged in. I'm logging off now and going to investigate this.

TheBeam

Enlightened
Ok, I just deleted my cookies and deleted my files AGAIN. Now, I just get the log in page.

Am I the only one this happened to? How could this have happened?

Wondering what to do.

TheBeam

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
For reasons I don't claim to understand, at one point about 2002, that WAS eBay, it was around for perhaps a month or two, and it was nothing but trouble. It caused many links inside and outside eBay (like favorites,bookmarked canned searches and the like) to fail or become unreliable. I don't know how long it was around, but it had a short life, perhaps a month, and I think everyone would prefer to forget it was ever there. My recollection is this was circa 2002 or so...

The name may still resolve inside eBay, but ebay makes a conscious decision these days not to use that URL for anything. It exists only to support the people unfortunate enough to have cookies and or bookmarks to it that were created while it was active

TheBeam

Enlightened
Mattheww, thanks.

This is a fairly new computer. I have never visited that "my.aol.ebay.com" sight before. I have never had AOL.

So far my Ebay and PayPal account looks ok. I just emailed Ebay. I'll update when and if I hear anything.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever installed netscape or AIM? I've noticed people pc's with either installed with other parts of AOL included and strange things happening. I learned to stay clear of either program.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
The url http://my.aol.ebay.com seems to be a valid url. It takes me to a sign in ebay page.

[/ QUOTE ]
This URL takes me to my "My Ebay" page; as I have Ebay set to keep me logged in except when bidding on something.
Let me get a screenshot where the AOL affiliation is...BRB...

ebay1.jpg

The URL turns to [url]http://my.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyeBay[/url] shortly after clicking on the link.

TheBeam

Enlightened
I have Netscape installed but only used it once a several months ago.

I have heard nothing from Ebay yet. Maybe I never will. Oh well, I'll just watch my Ebay and PayPal account and hope all is well.

TheBeam

Enlightened
Here is my response from Ebay.

Hello,

My name is Leo, and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Thank you for reporting that you were redirected to the AOL eBay site
while browsing the US eBay site.

We became aware of the problem, and have been able to resolve the
trouble.

We are sorry for any concern this may have caused you.

Regards,

Leo S.
Tuesday, July 20, 2004
eBay Customer Service Representative.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
What a nice and informative reply from nice Leo!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
bernhard

Latest posts