Lens cover for Mag D cell lights...(PICS)

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lens cover for Mag D cell lights?

When people look for covers for camera lenses with
lens hoods I have heard (read) of people suggesting
certain tupperware lids. If you know a tupperware person
you might be able to find a lid that friction fits.

Greg

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

You could try getting a Maglite bezel ring kit, and plaing a clear lens in place of the colored lenses?

--dan

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've used a small cloth, like the ones sold for cleaning eyeglasses, and a thick elastic band for the job.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Easiest and cheapest way to go is a plastic bag and a rubber band.

They work, are replaceable for nothing, and come off fast with the added benefit of not having to care (or worry) about 'em.

I used to do this with camera lenses since they would let me see what lens was on the camera. Also, if needed, I could use a larger bag, put a filter on the lens, and by doing that, cut out the plastic bag around the lens, ending up with a weather resistant camera cover. You get pretty creative when you're too cheap to spend more money on something.

- (a different) Craig

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
dano said:
You could try getting a Maglite bezel ring kit, and plaing a clear lens in place of the colored lenses?

--dan

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i may go this route, thnx! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try checking out rifle scope covers. These come in many sizes and have a handy flip-up action. Stick it on once, then just flip up as needed and flip back down to protect.

Wilkey

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Try checking out rifle scope covers. These come in many sizes and have a handy flip-up action. Stick it on once, then just flip up as needed and flip back down to protect.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm......? another great idea! i like that idea alot.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
ahhhhh!

this should work nicely! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif:
http://www.butler-creek.com/adtemplate_child.asp?p=7344018&c=9007902&catky=1150335&subcatky1=4548832&subcatky2=2000246

http://www.butler-creek.com/getimage.asp?table=inv&field=image1&keyname=invky&keyvalue=7344018

[/ QUOTE ]

this Mag 3D LuxIII mod is already costing me more and more money and i haven't even actually paid for the light itself yet!

lens cover: $10-$15

UCL: $7

sputtered reflector: $7

and then there i've got a few ideas to personalize it:

gold tailcap(if i could ever find one from a gold Mag D cell light)i've always likes the look of gold and green together

laser engraving-would be nice

glow powder or paint

heck while im at it i might as well plan on getting the countycomm bail-out bag with it's compartment made for a maglite!

oh, i give up.........THIS IS MADNESS!! i need to get the light first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

A

aaamad

The lens cover for after market foglights on most newer cars, like Mitsubishis, night also be a suitable alternative for the cover of the mag light. However there might be a problem because they are all tinted one color. Yet I seem to find that If i go here, www.authentic-strivectin.com

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try many things. Someone mentioned Tupperware lids. Also try the small Tupperware BODIES for fit. (Don't forget Rubbermaid!) Take the light with you to the grocery/kitchen store and try them out. Sometimes you can get so close that a strip of felt or cork or gasket material may be glued into the container for a perfect slip fit on the light.

Don't forget to try caps and lids of ALL kinds. I found a black plastic cap from a small can of spray paint (for model builders) that fits PERFECTLY on my TEKTITE 300. If you find one that works you can also drill/melt a VERY, VERY tiny hole in it so you can EASILY be sure that the light is off when you stow it. Some plastic chair leg tips fit snuggly onto an ARC-AAs or Infinitys.

Plumbing fittings can be a boon. Try different sizes and schedules of plastic pipe caps. Even copper sweat caps can be painted and lined so as not to dammage the finish if you can make them fit.

Take the light with you to stores that sell cheap plastic tumblers and glasses and check if one can be cut off and lined for a cap.

Keep sniffing around and keep your mind open and you'll find something.

illumiGeek

Enlightened

Take your light head to the grocery store and try out covers for various resealable items (like canned nuts, baking powders, etc.). I found caps for some of my camera lens hoods that way.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
ahhhhh!

this should work nicely! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif:
http://www.butler-creek.com/adtemplate_child.asp?p=7344018&c=9007902&catky=1150335&subcatky1=4548832&subcatky2=2000246

http://www.butler-creek.com/getimage.asp?table=inv&field=image1&keyname=invky&keyvalue=7344018

[/ QUOTE ]

ordered one today, should have it by this weekend. will have to try it out on my Mag 2C w/Epeion until i get my Mag 3D Lux III mod. will post pics once i get it.

oh yeah, im a typical flashaholic, ordered a Streamlight Clipmate too....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif on sale for less than $13. bought both from an online distributor for the lens covers.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let us know how it works out for you. I'd love to see some pics.

Wilkey

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

You fellahs have all sorts of good ideas. If that 40mm Objective Butler Creek Scope Cover fits that would be just about perfect for me.

But, till we hear from 4x4, I think I'll take the suggestion to take my 3D to the store and see what fits. Maybe I'll run up to The Container Store tonight.

Hmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Wonder what else I've got that needs a lid?

Britt

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
You fellahs have all sorts of good ideas. If that 40mm Objective Butler Creek Scope Cover fits that would be just about perfect for me.

But, till we hear from 4x4, I think I'll take the suggestion to take my 3D to the store and see what fits. Maybe I'll run up to The Container Store tonight.

Hmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Wonder what else I've got that needs a lid?

Britt

[/ QUOTE ]

while i am still a little worried, i check the exact specs and the Mag head diameter is 2.25"/57mm. the butler creek lens is listed to fit 2.25" scopes and is 57.2(or is it 57.3)mm.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

4x4, yes, the specs sound good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Until you mentioned it, I hadn't even thought about a lens cover for my Mr. Bulk DD3DIII. It's a very good idea with our UCL glass lenses.

Thanks for the tip and looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

Britt

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
4x4, yes, the specs sound good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Until you mentioned it, I hadn't even thought about a lens cover for my Mr. Bulk DD3DIII. It's a very good idea with our UCL glass lenses.

Thanks for the tip and looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

Britt

[/ QUOTE ]

well ginseng actually first suggested the rifle scope cover idea. i just did some leg work and found one to fit(hopefully). midwayusa.com is where i ordered it from for about $7 and they also had the SL Clipmate for under $13 so....

note one thing, the "eye" optics covers are the only ones that come with the little red switch/button. the "objective"/ones that fit the mag D & C lights are manual/flip by hand. no biggie, just thought i would let you know.

speaking of UCL, i need to go order mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif