Supbeam Light
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Aleph Proto & reflector comments

Default Re: New Aleph Proto & reflector comments

as expected, the PR head mates wonderfully with the Aleph system ...

Will the IMS SO20XA work in the 1" Aleph head or will the McR-20 be required?

Tyler,
    The IMS sample that I have may or may not be the current production version. *It* is a bit too thick at the very top to digest properly into the Aleph 2. I need to get some production 20 mm and really need to wait until I have some of the Aleph 2 production heads to determine just how significant the interference is and if there is an easy fix. Because my reflector is Al, I didn't need it to be so thick and I think my parabola is slightly "larger" than the "psuedo" parabolic curve of the IMS. I believe the depth of the two reflectors is close enough for some interchangeability but again, it is really too soon to be sure. I only have prototypes to work with and the proof will be in the production parts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

Received my Aleph 1x123 power packs today. Thus was born a very cool light...

Ain't she purty? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sorry about the shadows in the photos.

Cool "dad"! Where's the beam shots and run times! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Aleph? How is that pronounced?

[ QUOTE ]
    McGizmo said:
    Cool "dad"! Where's the beam shots and run times! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don, I'll leave the science part to you professionals! As far as I'm concerned, a light this good looking could have a run time of ten minutes and the beam strength of my kid's nightlight and I'd still be a happy camper! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Aleph - pronounced "A - Leff" I'm guess.. I don't speak hebrew so... Someone correct me if I'm wrong!!

Cheers,
    Nathan.

Uh Doug,
    I am not certain but as I recall Alef. Like Impact_blue has stated. I have also seen it spelled elof. First letter of the Hebrew Alphabet. I was introduced to in in college as a professor was pretty excited about the number Aleph null haven been proven. I leave it to the math guys to elaborate but as I understand it, there is a series of Aleph numbers that are greater (higher?) than infinity

[ QUOTE ]
    arewethereyetdad said:
    Received my Aleph 1x123 power packs today. Thus was born a very cool light...

Ain't she purty? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sorry about the shadows in the photos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, Troy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Hope to get mine soon. Now all it needs is an Aleph head. No point posting beam shots till then (Duh Don [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif[/img] )

Btw, why is the smallest head called Aleph2, the slightly bigger one Aleph1 & what's the biggest one called? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

I think the naming of the Aleph series is this way:
    Aleph 2 = 20mm reflector
    Aleph 1 = 27mm reflector
    Aleph 3 = 38 mm reflector

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So, when will TKs be available?

I'd be interested in a 2cell Aleph 3 with DB917 LuxIII [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Flashlight,
    The first proto I built I called Aleph null (Ao). It never got past proto. The next one, the Aleph 1 was based on the 27 mm reflector. I had some prototype 38 mm reflectors on order at the time and was also planning on doing a smaller head so I started calling my design for the 38 mm head the Aleph 3, leaving room for a smaller Aleph 2. It would be easy and make sense to renumber these heads now based on size but I have a bunch of drawings and assemblies that can't easily have their file names changed due to inter relationships. I also have these drawings out to machine shops and any renaming could cause some problems. The Aleph system has been evolving as I move along. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

I really like the looks of the character "aleph" but when I copied it to my clip board, it did really goofy things to my cursor!! I toy with the idea of getting some of the heads laser engraved but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Flashaholic*

Great shots guys. Wow that is smaller than the VIP. The Aleph series is starting to take shape nicely. I too am awaiting the TK builds from Don.

Flashlight,

What tail cap resistor setting are you using for hi/low on that there picture?
    Also what is the head configuration?

Curtis

Curtis, it's actually my picture. The tailcap resistor is 15 ohm. The head (which DID come from flashlight), is a PR-T BB750 R3K SE. Thanks! Troy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ok, got mine today! Here it is with a 'classic' McLux TK head & E2D McE2S tailcap just to show full backward & current compatibility & a Surefire E2-BK & E2E-HA head to illustrate full SF compatibility (as if you guys didn't know already). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Last pic shows the Aleph body & tailcap (McE2S 15ohm) with PR-T-BK (Wizard 611, TXOJ LuxIII) head next to the classic McLux TK. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Thanks for the explanation Don, makes it so much less er, confusing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

arewethereyetdad,

sorry for the confusion and thanks for the response.

Thanks.

Curtis

Dad, how do you like that R3K-SE?

I love it. Wish I had another! It originally came from you, didn't it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Any chance to have picture of its beam shot for each reflector, 3W or 5W?

Thanks.

Alan

Alan,
    If you are talking to me, I plan to get beam shots of the same Aleph Light Engine hosted in all three heads, once I have production heads, windows and reflectors. I hope to post an accessible page somewhere that shows the various parts with associated goofy names. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I will get some beam shots as well as lux readings. I want to provide comprehensive as well as clear information so the confusion can be minimized. I am not going to attempt any of this until I have the *real* parts to photograph as I only want to do this once. I am also hoping that I can ply kj with components and that he can do his magic with how to's and what's what.

Don, this may be covered somewhere else but are the light engines anodized? I always wanted to put an Amber HD on a McModule but was afraid to because of the rist of the slug being grounded...

Jon

Jon,
    The Aleph LE (Light Engine) consists of an Al threaded heat sink (E-screw) and a brass converter can (ES-Can). The E-screw is hard anodized dark gray and the ES-Can is EN plated. Converters like the DB also require the emitter slug to be electrically isolated. I prefer an anodized sink as well as a soldered ground connection. The LE could have been unified as one piece but one or both of these preferences would have been compromised.

Thanks Don - exactly what I want to hear (assuming Dark Gray HA is an effective insulator)!

Jon

Jon,

If the HA weren't a good electrical insulator, I would have been up the creek a long time ago!! (Many DB's in PR & PR-T heads where electrical contact would have been certain death [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] )

Flashaholic*

I am quite surprised that no one has commented on the ergonomics of the two stage switch in Don's latest Aleph creation. At the cpf get together at Patricks in San Bruno this evening I checked out the One inch od head in the single cell Aleph. Amazingly bright, tremendous throw and ah, the two stage switch. Twist it on and it stays on but for most people like myself and most cpf'ers, push it on a little bit and the light is on low, but should the need arise, push it a bit harder and it instantly goes into high mode, what could be simpler, let go of the switch and the light shuts off. I am quite shocked that nobody has commented on how compelling this light is to use, how ergonomically easy as well. Of course if many people read this, more people may want this light than Don is able to accommodate. I want one with tritium in the tail section and I'm ready to pay. It's been really hard getting excited about many lights lately other than what MrBulk has been making. With it's smaller form factor and ease of operation and userability, with the low being so useful and the high mode having amazing throw, hell I'd better shut up because I haven't even bought one yet.

Flashaholic*

Keith, any idea what configuration was in the head and what resister was in the tailswitch?

Soooo looking forward to the full monty TK for all 3 sizes of heads/battery tubes etc.

Curtis

Flashaholic*

I don't know what Don used, all I know is that until I saw what he came he came up with in person, I didn't understand how nice this light is. I can't state emphatically enough how well it works and how simply elegant it is in operation. I believe that exactly how much resistance he used is unimportant because however much the resistance might vary it wouldn't change the effect by much in my opinion. I know that some may think it's important (resistance) but I think the resistor used could have many values but not change the overall effect by much. When I first read of the resistor part, all it did was confuse me and make me feel alienated from this project. I told Don that I think it may have had this effect on many people, and decided that I would mention it here because I think it was getting in the way of people connecting on the more important issues with the Aleph project.

Like Keith & Curtis I can't wait to get a full TK Aleph with Aleph2 1" OD head in bare AL & tritium inserts in the tailcap [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Was the one you saw in bare AL, Keith? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

the one I saw with tritium inserts was HA.

I had a Aleph 1 and Aleph 2 there last night with 1x123. They both have NextGen drivers and 15 ohm switches. The only planned finish for the Aleph series is the hard anodized dark gray. I have held back a few parts in raw AL for personal use as well as further modifications prior to plating on a custom or as goofy ideas present themselves, basis.

I suppose I can get with Wayne and see if he wants to stock some of the parts in raw AL but we have to be careful that this unruly beast is not wagged by its tail! The battery tubes are intentionally longer than they should be. After anodizing, I face both ends off to open theground path. If any of the tubes are to be considered raw Al parts, they need to be shortened. Once shortened, we can't decide to anodize them later. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] Leave it to Flashlight to throw a monkey wrench in the works! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img] The variations and combinations are rather daunting as is. Adding flavors just increases the confusion!

In speaking with Keith R last night, he brought up some good points that level of technical discussion as well as all of these variations and alternatives are very confusing to a casual observer!

I really won't be able to do any concise or clear representations of this system until the end of the month or even into next month when I finally have all of the production parts in hand. In the mean time, I have days of parts processing, second and final operations of machining and some kitting to do.

A first priority for me now is documenting and explaining the E-screw/ ES-can assembly and various possible build approaches for those of you who want to DIY. Instead of calling the converter/LED asembly a module or capsule, I want to think of it as the Aleph LE (light engine). The reason for this distinction is that although the A-LE is removable and exchangeable in the various hosts, it is not necessarily a quick change out. If folks are planning on driving some of these engines hard and for extended on times, I believe the use of thermal grease should be considered in the threads as well as sink to reflector contact surfaces and reflector to head contact bore surfaces. The thermal relief can be agumented significantly in doing so but engine removal can become a bit messy.

The owner/ operator will have many options but only if these options are understood. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] Going through all of these options on a case by case communication will be overwhelming as well as preclude any significant number of these lights geting made. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] My plan is to pick some stock configurations that I think make sense and build some lots of identically configured units to make available to those who just want a light and don't want to dive too deeply into all of the posibilities. I am real hopeful that those who want to have a light built to their specific criteria can come about their decisions by discussions and information shared here on the forum with other interested parties. If I have any hope of digging out from under all of these parts and recooping expenses along with providing any quantity of complete lights, I won't be able to engage in lengthy discussions, one on one.

I have spent over an hour in communcations, individually, with a fair number of folks, just discussing the tail switch options! Now add battery tubes, various drivers and three reflector sizes! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif[/img] I have been facing a strange and unanticipated irony here! I have had some people contact me, off line with ideas of how to "market" this system as well as increase the likely sales. The irony is that I don't have time for "marketing" and I can make the largest number of lights by concentrating on building and not discussing or "marketing". I am sure there is a proper balance and ideal time management scheme worth searching for but in the mean time, I am wading through parts in my shop as more come in every day and I spend way too much time on the phone and at the keyboard in temporary denial of an evergrowing pile of parts and bills! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

How does one determine proper help for the helpless when they are also hopeless?!?! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img]

Presumably these lights have better focus than the guy who designed them! By this point you are likely wanting to suggest a random phone call to see if anyone even gives a sh*t! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]