• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Aleph Proto & reflector comments

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I think I am just about done with the Aleph series design; at least for the first go round. I knew I wanted to include a 1" OD head in the group and a couple months ago, I drew up some reflectors to get quoted. Since I had no confidence in my ability to draw a reflector that would work, I decided to wait until I got samples of the 38 mm reflector to see if I was even in the ball park. I designed a 17 mm reflector based on the physical size of the NX05 because I figured it would be a natural as a drop in replacement for some of the existing TIR optic lights. I also designed an extension on the same parabolic curve that stepped in segments up to a final OD of 25 mm. I figured it would be cool to have a larger reflector that could be "chopped" to suit. While I was in a holding pattern waiting for the 38 to be made, the IMS reflectors hit the scene and I began to doubt if I had any reason to pursue my own design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I told the reflector mfg rep that I was willing to commit to a production order on these reflectors only if I could buy a sample, uncoated, to gauge the beam pattern. If the reflector was satisfactory, I would continue on with an order. By this time, I knew that I was going to design a 1" head using the ES light engine and either one of my reflectors or an IMS. I got the raw and partially polished reflector samples yesterday.

reflectors.jpg

I really only needed the 25 mm as it could have been cut down to the 17 mm but due to poor communications, I got samples in both sizes. The 25 mm works pretty darn good but I felt that it was too similar to the 27 mm to bother with a new head design for it. I decided to chop it down to 20.6 mm which I felt would still leave me enough room for packaging within a 1" OD head. To my untrained eye, my reflector is very similar to the IMS 17 and 20 in outward appearance. I think my reflector has a slightly longer focal length but then again, the IMS are not parabolic to start with. In terms of lux and beam angle, I believe I am very close in parity to the IMS but the proof will be in final production parts with the reflective coating. I also realized that by designing around a 20 mm reflector, I could always install a 17 mm with an extension tube spacer in front of it in the head if a broader beam angle were desired. In the spirit of the McLux, this head could serve as host to optics, 17 mm and even a McFlood reflector. When I get a chance, I want to make such an extension spacer and see how it looks and works. However, I am real pleased with the 20 mm reflector and figure that it is most likely what will be used in this new head.

Aleph-2.jpg

components.jpg

This 20 mm reflector is slightly larger in diameter compared to the KL4 and Arc 4 reflector and is a bit deeper as well. Although the beam angles are similar, there seems to be less divergence with the 20 mm and I think it will likely out distance the other two, ceterus paribus.

reflection.jpg

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks awesome Don. I'm in as you should know already! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Just to confirm, all the components including LED modules will be interchangeable between different finish bodies/heads/tails right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Will the production units come with the tritium inserts installed & pre-drilled clip accessory mount hole in the tailcap knurled ring area?

Erm, OT but where's your trademark sunny blue sky & smooth shiny mirror photo? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Was that last pic taken at night?

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice McGizmo.
I'm in line for this one also.
Any thoughts or comments as to how the beam reacts as it is cut down?

mut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Flashlight,

Yes, the ES will ultimately be transferable to the three heads I am planning; the 27 mm host, Aleph 1 which should be available next month and then hopefully the 38 mm Aleph 3 and this new 20 mm Aleph 2. I have three battery tubes coming, 1x123, 1x17500 and 2x123. These parts, including the tail cap (McE2S) are E series compatable. BTW, if the Aleph numbering system makes sense, consider seeking professional help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

I might do some very limited builds with the tritium tubes included but the *standard* tailcap does not have the milled pockets for the tritium tubes. I have to do those myself. The *stock* tailcap does come with a blind tapped hole for the tab or other device you might come up with. In fact, I just got some black caps back and these blind holes didn't anodize! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I am guessing that they all held air bubbles. Time for the instant anodizer or some real **** and bull story about how "I meant to do that!" (Pee Wee Herman voice). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif See, the hole should be used for the tab ~or~ you will want to put some GID goop in the hole and you will get a better bond if it isn't anodized! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mut,

Good question on the beam and how is it altered. The 38 mm reflector is based on the curve in the 27 so the 27 could be thought of as a "chopped" 38. Anyway, as the parabolic surface is extended away from the LED, the beam gets more concentrated so I would say its angle decreases. Your spill angle also gets choked down but the level of light in the spill that remains, seems to increase. We have seen how larger diameter reflectors do a tighter job on the reflected beam. I think you can add to this that deeper reflectors have the same effect, to a lesser extent. It seems that the further from the LED the reflective surface is, the more apt it is to effectively colimate the light. The converse is in effect as you get closer to the LED.

kj

Enlightened
Don,

Do you think the reflector helps dispersing heat? I guess it helps a little and I believe your reflectors are made from aluminum, so I think your reflector works better in this regard.

BTW, to me, the Aleph w/ 1" OD head looks like a modern 6P. I like it!

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you have answered this question already, but I need to ask (agin)
If you get one e-screw, one body and one tailcap you can take the e-screw and put it into any of the three heads (Aleph1,2, or 3) and use them on the same pack.

mut

Darell

Flashaholic
Man, that's a lot of words.... lot of reflectors too! I can't wait until this all shakes down and "program" begins. Those reflectors are just dreamy, but my favorite part still has to be the tailcap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
this new head is truly awesome! just what I need in fact.
After lot of consideration I'd go with your style of reflectors since they'll help dispersing the heat better than the IMS parts.
A dropin in NX05 etc. size would definitely be nice!

How do they do with the 5W? I know, you haven't tested, but just to be annoying I am asking nevertheless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Anyway ... great great work, truly amazing !
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

bernhard

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Truely great work. When I read about the Aleph1 on your website I thought it was a very beautiful piece of art and appeared to be very functional. Now we have different heads and battery tubes etc to increase the range of uses. SWEET.

So there are 3 battery tubes and 3 heads and 1 switches configs.

I am in for the entire Aleph system. Please. And if you decide to make the special edition piece with tritium markers it would be awesome as well. I will take one of those as well. Been trying to get my hands on something like that for a while.

Thanks

Curtis

McGizmo

Flashaholic
kj,

I believe the Al will provide more thermal mass for relief via conduction as well as radiation. The ultimate steady state temperature might be similar between a head with plastic VS Al reflector but I assume that in the period of time, up to that point, that the light with the Al reflctor might have a cooler running LED.

Mut, yes, you could use the same ES and power pak with the three diferent heads. Depending on the current level of drive and intended usage, one head may be more appropriate than the other.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Say...That 20MM reflector of yours, wouldn't happen to fit in an XM2 would it? If it does, then We wants one, Preciousss! Yes, We do. And if you need a guineapig to find out if indeed it does fit the XM2...Well, consider me a willing volunteer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

albert

Enlightened
Don,

Simply awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Drooling non-stop now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

I want, i want... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, I'll take mine with the milled slots & can provide & install my own tritium tubes if you don't have enough to go round. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernhard,

In all three of these new heads, I believe I have effected a good and straight forward window seal in the front end. By using the threaded bezel ring, various windows and thicknesses should also be possible. The other consideration was to allow the reflector to be shimmed forward, if needed for use with a 5W LED. The reflector is held in position by tension of the sealing O-ring against its lip. The reflector can be forced forward, inside the O-ring, as would be the case when shimmed from the rear. In 27 and 38 mm reflectors, the shim would be a thin washer placed between the shoulder of the ES and base of the reflector. The 20 mm seats on a counter bore shoulder in the head so I believe shiming would be best accomplished by placing a ring ow wire around the reflector behind the mating shoulder and thus lifting it forward. The thermal considerations of hosting a 5W in the 1" head should not be overlooked of course.

I have not had a chance to really play with most of this stuff so I don't know what all the possibilities and permutations might be. I have not tried a 5W yet. I am looking forward to geting all of the designs and drawings done and the components quoted and ordered! I can them move from designing and purchasing into building and modding. A couple days ago, I was successful in modding a Z57's clickie assembly and hosting it in the McE2S guarded tail cap. It's one of the earlier units that likes to blow apart so if you remove the tailcap from thebattery tube, you have a jack in the box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif None the less, it does work well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

*Retired*
Don,

What is the coating that will be utilized?

What overcoat will be utilized to protect the natural degredation of the coating (if it is Al, (oxidation upon exposure to the air))? MgF2, or which oxide thin coat?

Or will you be utilizing a dichoric coating design?

jtice

Flashaholic
The entire Aleph system is looking great Don ! Excellent work.

I really like that you have taken the extra step, and actually designed your own reflectors for these. While at the same time, tried to keep the ability to use other current on the market optics and reflectors.

The light itself looks great, and has alot of design features from other lights, that I really like.
I like this design alot better than the first one of yours I saw, I didnt like the 90 degree angles that were on the first one.
I see you have angled efges now, making it feel better in your hand.
Though, it looks as if the inside of the switch gaurd may be alittle "sharp" feeling.

But ah,,, somethigns missing.... wheres the Clip !!??

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gifThank you for the quick answers and making yet another BEAuty that will drain my wallet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
As I metioned before I am in for one of each of the packs with the milled slots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

mut

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Erick, no idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Flashight, I intended the collar on the tail cap as a possible host to not only the tab but tritium vials and possibly a pocket clip as well. Unfortunately, the indexed milling and drilling of these second operations add significant labor to the part and a couple shops didn't even want todo the existing three holes, two of which are tapped. I figured I would just leave some of these options up to the end user. The cap can always be milled after anodizing and the bright Al will only serve to aid in photon escape. These lights aren't cheap and adding details like the tritium slots don't help in this matter.

NewBie, I don't know what plating is used by the reflector mfg but given the bright surface and performance of the McR-27 and McR-38 which do have a slight orange peel plating, I think this 20 mm will work well. I am a very little fish, fresh to the reflector waters and I defer to the experts at this point! Heck, I'm just stoked that I have been able to swim at all!