Dremel or equivalent replacement?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would you guys choose? A nice big traditional drill, a Dremel, or a third party replacement?

I'm looking at one of these general purpose tools for modding lights, to do the usual cutting, grinding, drilling of holes and associated work that is now done by hand, often in a very.. hmmm.. makeshift fashion (to put it mildly). I'm looking for something inexpensive, so that there's more money to go around for the lights.

I owned a Dremel once, but it has since passed on. Cutoff wheels were notoriously expensive, and I suppose trying to punch through 1mm thick steel in computer cases didn't do either the wheels, the tool, or the operator (yours truly) any good. After a few too many holes, the magic smoke got out of the Dremel, the thing ran really slow and stopped running at all. I thought it would last longer than that.. it wasn't cheap, either. The Dremel would probably last longer doing very light duty aluminium work (some sanding, and occasional hole drilling would be the max, no more steel I can tell you that).

So what would you guys recommend? A traditional drill with cutoff wheels or sanding attachments, yet another Dremel, or some other alternative? Out of all of these I believe the normal drill can be had at lowest cost, of course I'll have to buy the attachments. The other thing about the Dremel besides reliability is that it does not accomodate larger bits for drilling larger holes. I'd prefer something that lasts, not something that quits on me tomorrow.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sears has their "All-In-One Cutting Tool" on sale for $39.99 and if you have a Craftsman Club card you get another 10% $35.99 through July 21st.

I've never had a Dremel so I can compare, I have added the 36" flex shaft to mine this makes it much easier to work with when not using it with a base or when cutting or drilling on small projects and it has the neat Dentist chair drill sound to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Later
Sway

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds to me like you might be better served by having several different tools (IMHO). You might want to go over to the modders section of CPF and ask what those guys are using to mod lights with.

Mike

nightshade

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
_Mike_ said:
It sounds to me like you might be better served by having several different tools (IMHO). You might want to go over to the modders section of CPF and ask what those guys are using to mod lights with.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike is right, the Dremel is a light,small tool for light,small, detail work. Look at buying several quality tools over a period of time.Quality tools, properly used and maintained and cleaned after each use will last the good part of a lifetime.Don't forget E-Bay ,several of my prized Metabo electric tools were obtained, brand new at 1/3 of retail, with patience, through E-Bay.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.. good point. Thanks for reminding me of ebay (I was just telling someone to buy stuff there today, yet I didn't think of it for myself). Looks like I may have to invest as much in tools as I am in lights, and to think: I was just saying that lights are a less expensive hobby! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif oh well I wouldn't have it any other way, lights are great.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Dremel, but I think more than just the carbon brushes went south. It's no longer with me, so I can't check.

Which reminds me, the probe on my $10 DMM just broke, now I'm thinking about a Fluke 110.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

stefx

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL1 said:
I'm thinking about a Fluke 110.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For flashlight modding you most probably want to measure current, too. So the Fluke 111 would be better because iirc the 110 has no ampere ranges at all.

Stef(an).