Class 3: TWAKnFlex (lots o' pics)

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Class 3: TWAKnFlex (lots o\' pics)

Introducing the TWAKnFlex. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It is a TWAK Lux III emitter mounted on an O-sink in a Pewter mag 3D cell body, driven by a Georges80 nFlex converter powered by a rechargeable 4Ah 6.0v NiMh aeronimh.com custom battery pack.

The most challenging part of this mod was getting the nFlex converter mounted into the bulb post housing. Also, modifying the stock mag switch to be a pure momentary switch took some thinking to do.

Here you see an exploded view of all of the mag D cell switch components. From left to right, switch spring, switch rotary contact, rotary ratchet part "A", rotary ratchet part "B", rotary ratchet housing, and above and below the housing are the switch contacts. The large blue piece in the picture is the switch body.

To modify the switch to make its operation purely momentary for this mod, I removed about half of the "fins" from the rotary ratchet part "A".

The rotary ratchet housing has full-depth grooves that match these fins (these grooves can be seen in the exploded view). However, every other groove is only half as wide as the ratchet, which holds the rotary pieces of the switch back and prevents them from sliding all the way down (on position). This ratchet assembly is what causes the tactile "double-click" you feel and hear when operating the mag switch. The first click as you push the switch in is the rotary ratchet turning, and the second click as you release the switch is the fins on part "A" engaging the grooves in the housing.

Another way to modify the switch would be to clear the filled grooves in the ratchet housing. As the housing is a glass-filled plastic (harder to work) and it is hard to get tools into that tiny space, it was much easier to trim the fins from the rotary ratchet part "A" instead because it is just plain plastic and quite was easy to do with an Exacto knife.

I cut the switch contacts down to get them recessed inside of the switch and to prevent them from making contact with the positive battery contact.

I then soldered my switch wires to the trimmed contacts, which will get soldered into the SWA and SWB holes in the nFlex board (also, the nFlex's onboard micro switch was removed). The mag's negative power contact was trimmed and a wire soldered to it to be used for the nFlex's negative power input. The bulb post housing was cut to match the components of the nflex. A razor knive was used for the lengthwise cuts, and a file was used to relieve spots for the programming header, the input capacitor, and the inductor.Two holes were drilled through the blue plastic switch body to pass the positive battery wire and the lower switch wire through up to the nFlex.

Here are some pics of the switch being assembled:

Here you see the switch assembled and the nFlex board in place in the bulb post housing, along with the TWAK Lux III emitter stuck to the Yaesumofo O-sink heatsink using arctic alumina epoxy.

Lastly, I used some heatshrink tubing to hold the nFlex in place and to make sure nothing would come loose after the light was assembled.

Here is the heatsink pressed into the mag body after the switch assembly was replaced into the mag body and the Lux III was hooked up.

Next are the five 4Ah aeronimh rechargeable 1/2D cells.

Assembled into a 6.0v stick:

The modified mag reflector:

After charging the battery, I tried the light. Unfortunately, it didn't work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I had to take the heatsink off of the light, and then desolder the Lux III and remove the switch assembly. After a bit of troubleshooting on my own, I couldn't find any problem. I the traced problem down to something on the nFlex. I contacted georges80, and after about 25 minutes on the phone with him and testing various voltages on the board, we decided that the micro controller on the nflex wasn't executing its code. Neither of us are sure why, and I don't believe I could have done anything to hurt it as I only soldered six wires to the board (nothing got too warm).

Anyway, he's sending me a new board, and the problem one is going back to him for troubleshooting.

Due to this problem, I'm not exactly sure if this really qualifies for the mod contest, but I'll enter it anyway. The light should be working within minutes of getting the new nFlex, so I'll leave my fate in the hands of the CPF community (please go easy on me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif). I could have left this part out and nobody would have been the wiser, but of course that wouldn't be honest or in the CPF spirit. Also, I wanted to share this with everyone anyway, if for no other reason but to show the mag switch and how I made it momentary. Hopefully I'll receive the new nFlex Monday, and can finish the mod and get it working before midnight to make it official. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for looking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Re: TWAKnFlex (lots o\' pics)

Holy crap!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
Icarus finished a similar mod to this almost a week ago! I never saw it until just now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
Talk about a disappointment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Beat to the punch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can see them if you click on the little lines.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Pics are showing up for me. Click the links otherwise. Imagestation has gotten really flakey lately... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

LEDmodMan,,,

Nice work, I like how you used the stock mag switch, modded to momentary use.

Oh, and BTW,,, I did a MagUflex mod, months ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Both of you were beat to the bunch, hehe,,,, ok ok you guys used Nflexs instead lol.
My MagUflex Mod With Interchangable LED system.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:
Holy crap!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
Icarus finished a similar mod to this almost a week ago! I never saw it until just now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
Talk about a disappointment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Beat to the punch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey LEDmodman,
No problem about copying my Mag nFlex mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif as long as you pay for the rights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Freddy

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the idea of the 1/2D NiMH batteries. Very nice battery stick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I'm wondering how you soldered the cells together since they have very short nipples. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
Or didn't you solder them at all? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Freddy

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

you need to remove the 'http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view.html?url=' section from your image tags - then thay will work for everyone.

neg

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

jtice,
Yes, you were the first to put one of George's converters into a Mag, I'll give you that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif What is so nice about the nFlex is being able to use the stock switch. The difference between my mod and icarus' is that my switch still rotates and clicks when you push it. I bet his doesn't click. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

icarus,
No solder! These 4Ah cells have plenty of 'nipple' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (not the old 3.5Ah ones though) and can just be shrunk together.

Neg2LED,
The part of the url you copied is what takes you to the fullsize picture when you click on them. It's a little imagestation trick we picked up awhile back. That's not what the problem is, it's just that imagestation in general has been pretty bad lately. I need to open a new account somewhere else, just haven't had time (need to prioritize here, and modding comes before that does).

jtice

Flashaholic

LEDmodMan, ah i was confused for a second when you said yours still clicked. Sence that wouldnt work for the nflex.
You mean it clicks as you are pushing it down, but that doesnt actally do anything, its just making that sound and feel.

That would add a nicer feel to it I suppose, and maybe even make it easier for ppl to use,,, all my buddies want to press untill they hear a click. They dont understand when I say, "just tap it" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Yes, by removing only half of the "ribs" from part "A" of the rotary ratchet, it still functions normally except it never latches in the on position. This makes part A narrow enough to fit inside of the grooves that are half filled (they're filled from the wall toward the inside), so it will slide down into every slot, not just every other one.

It still sounds and feels like a stock mag switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The only difference is that it always returns to the off position.

jtice

Flashaholic

Ah, thats excellent, I didnt think it would be that easy,
Just remove every other rib, then reassemble huh? niiiice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I ll have to steal that idea off you for my next flex mag mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.S. get yours operational man, geeeez /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

jt,
Yes, very easy. Any sharp knife is all that is needed.

Actually, I trimmed about half off of all of the ribs on part "A" (there are 6 ribs).
Every other groove is filled inside of the housing (there are 12 grooves).

I'm hoping :fingers crossed: the new nFlex board will be in my mailbox when I get home, so I will have about 2 hrs. to fix the mod and get it working by the midnight tonight (GMT) deadline.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi LEDmodMan,

It's a pity your nFlex had to be replaced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I really hope you get yours finished in time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Freddy

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Man this hurts to say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

My wife says that nothing came in today's mail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif I guess I won't make the deadline...

This really sucks! :Walks away with tail between legs:

Major disappointment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh well. sorry man - was looking forward to voting for this. o h well.

neg

jtice

Flashaholic

Ahh man, thats too bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Thats a shame, your mod turned out well, and was very clean looking.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Maybe if I get the new nFlex before the voting is figured out they'll make an exception. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif It will only take me about 10 minutes to get everything hooked up and put back together, and I'm hoping that the board shows up today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif