PK Design Lab
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: McE2S TwoStage Switch: HA-Nat & BK - FS

Default Re: McE2S TwoStage Switch: HA-Nat & BK - FS

Hi Desmond and gp01,

I'll get to these tonight. Thanks! My PayPal E-mail address is the same one that is in my profile. Feel free to hold off on sending payment until you have received notification of shipping if you want. There is a level of trust and honor here on CPF which really adds to the pleasure of dealing with you meatheads! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img]

if you haven't cheated on the photo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] those do look great indeed !
    bernhard

Bernhard,

No cheating but I have yet to see a HA-Nat part that looks the same color or darkness/ lightness in all sources of light! I would categorize these caps to have the more bronze tint than green tint but nailing down the color of HA-Nat is beyond my scope! Many of you will be getting these soon and you can make the call! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Received one HA-Nat @ 22 ohms for the L4 - will be posting a review (I expect [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] ) this weekend.

Flashaholic

McGizmo,

PM sent

I'll get caught up on these later orders later this evening. Reno, I'll try to remember to check my PM's then as well. I am not very quick or dependable when it comes to PM's though! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Quickbeam,

Should your review end up less than flattering, there is really no rush in posting it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

Don, per your suggestion via your recent PM, I am hereby asking your assistance publicly on this thread, so that you or another expert can help: I want to buy one of your McE2S Two Stage Switches (black). Want to put it on a black E1e with the following head: black PR-T BB750 R3K built by Beretta1526. What resistor capacity should I request for the McE2S? Is it 22 ohm? I'm not sure. Let me know which one and that will be the one I order (in black, of course). Thanks! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

McG--could you put me down for one Nat aleph tail?

unlike Troy, I need to do a a little more thinking/research on my resistance value (though I'll be looking at your response to his question with extreme interest since I have one of your McL4s with a BB 611 courtesy of mut [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]), so if you could hold the tailcap for me. I'll let you know the value by tomorrow (looking at KJs totally excellent Arc brightness/runtime graphs right now to figure it out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

hideo

Flashaholic

Unlike Hideo, I do very low-quality research on resistance values, soooo....

My question is this:

What resistor value do I need to get, say 2-3 times the brightness of an Arc AAA in the first stage?? I run a DD PR-T (Pila 168s)

Thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Steve

[ QUOTE ]
    arewethereyetdad said:
    Don, per your suggestion via your recent PM, I am hereby asking your assistance publicly on this thread, so that you or another expert can help: I want to buy one of your McE2S Two Stage Switches (black). Want to put it on a black E1e with the following head: black PR-T BB750 R3K built by Beretta1526. What resistor capacity should I request for the McE2S? Is it 22 ohm? I'm not sure. Let me know which one and that will be the one I order (in black, of course). Thanks! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

AWTYD it kind of depends on what kind of low beam you want. It is all in your preference.
    I personaly like the 60ohm on a single and most packs. I have a 60ohm on my McLux PR-T running a BB/700. Makes for a good night light as for it doesn't shin too bright to wake up the little ones while checking on them.
    If I can I will take some beamshots tomorrow. Maybe that could help some make a choice a little easier.

mut

Maybe my McE2S page helps you guys a little? But sorry, I don't have Pilas.

kj, thanks, that's a cool page. BTW, thanks again for the M1 thing.

Mut (and kj): I'm not overly technically astute. I just want the best choice for brightness and throw. The brighter the better. Run-time is not as important. Please tell me, "Troy, you need (whatever resistor) for your E1e" Thanks!

You're welcome, Troy. Well, then I believe you should take the lowest resistance version - 15 ohm. Still there will be a noticeable difference between the high and low.

Hi guys,

Thanks for bringing these questions out here where more can discuss and offer their input! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I may be daft but I really have a hard time comparing the beam of a Lux III in a 27 mm reflector (regardless of drive level) to the beam from three 5 mm LED's. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] Are we interested in flux or lux here???

I based my initial selections of resistor value for these drivers on the current to LED on High VS current to LED on low. I found that personally, I wanted from an 8:1 to a 10:1 difference in output from High to Low. I test every switch I assemble and all of the resistance ranges do work but there are certainly "appropriate" choices and no magic bullet to solve all.

I currently have Aleph parts still out for quote, still to be ordered, on order, arriving almost daily and sitting at anodizers as well as in my shop. They all need attention and labor added by yours truly. In the mean time, I am trying to get components that are ready or in the case of these tail cap switches which can be built, built and sold.

In the past, I have focused with a DIY mentality; whether it was for myself or the other modders who can get this stuff from Wayne's shop. I have had very little time to actually build and sell complete assemblies or parts. I am trying to increase my capacity in this aspect as I feel there is demand as well as the opportunity to turn these parts I have bought back into money so I can pay off existing debts as well as commit to new ones. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

My time management skills are right down there with my typing skills! My boss is a textbook example for the Peter Principle, Darwin and those "Before" cases. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

Consequently, I defer as much as possible to you guys for aiding eachother and comparing notes and findings. If you guys want these parts, and I certainly hope that some of you do, then I need to disappear and get some stuff done!

There are plenty of components and I am placing your requests into my build list when I receive an E-mail from you stating your flavor, CPF name and mailing address. Please don't hold me accountable for any lists or communications we may have prior to your E-mail order.

Flashaholic

Based on what I've read so far (thx KJ!!) The 60 ohm resistor looks like the right direction for ARc AAA-like output...

I agree. But depending on the Vf of your LED, the output might be dimmer than you expected (2-3 times of Arc AAA) but I guess it still brighter than Arc AAA.

Let us know your result when you receive the tailcap!

EDIT:
    Hmm, it seems you have a L Vf bin LED. I frankly don't know how that high Vf Luxeon III behaves at the low current level (30~50 mA). If the Vf of the LED is still high, say over 3.0 volts at that level, the output may be dimmer than you expected. It's possible that 30 ohm gives you the better result...

To McGizmo: Don, after some minor research and aLOT of help from kj (BIG thanks to kj) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] , I hereby order one black McE2S Two Stage Switch, 15 ohm. Thanks. Let me know PayPal address. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I am placing your requests into my build list when I receive an E-mail from you stating your flavor, CPF name and mailing address. Please don't hold me accountable for any lists or communications we may have prior to your E-mail order.

ca'nt read instructions ... one of my many foibles [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img]

e-mail sent for 22 ohm HA Natural

hideo

E-Mail sent to McGizmo. 15 ohm black.

Flashaholic

E-Mail also sent to McGizmo! 30 ohm Natural.

e-mail sent for 7.5 ohm HA Natural McE2S TurnKey tail switch.

McGiz - Oh, I'm sure the review will be flattering! It is very well made and performs as described. Gives the L4 much greater utility. Only issue I have is that the L4 no longer fits in my belt sheath due to the large size of the tailcap relative to its original diameter! Of course it can now stand on end and won't activate accidentally. Output is very good in low mode - much brighter than an Arc AAA, even with partially used batteries. A lot of thumb pressure is required to turn on "high" mode and the angle is a bit uncomfortable with a standard tactical grip due to the protective ring around the button - the "stogie" grip is much easier on the thumb...

Enough for now - you'll all have to wait until I get the complete review done for more. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hi guys,
    I believe I have you all present and accounted for on the build list and I now retire to the bench to get these switches made! Thank you all and you should be receiving e-mail notification within the next 24 hours that these are in the mail.

QuickBeam, sorry about your belt sheath! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] We could always set you up with the two stage switch in the standard tail cap but then you do have other trade offs. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

Don,

Sent an e-mail for a HA-Nat 60 ohm tailstander a few days ago. Been having trouble getting on the site here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Best!

--Bob

Bob,
    Got the e-mail and you are covered. I had hoped to have responded to your E-mail with a tracking number yesterday but tonight................ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

email sent

got mine: dang, it is so nice.
    thanks Don.

Hi guys,

I am off to the post office after a quick bite to eat. I believe I have everyone who has spoken up so far covered on these. Thanks!! Oh yeah, Old Grandpa Jack, your e-mail notification of shipping bounced back at me but heck you should have your switch by now anyway! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

Thanks again you guys!! I will continue to make these as requested and in the mean time, I have some battery tubes to finish off so they will be ready for the shoppe or builds to come. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

good news ... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    bk

[ QUOTE ]
    McGizmo said:
    Oh yeah, Old Grandpa Jack, your e-mail notification of shipping bounced back at me but heck you should have your switch by now anyway! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Don:
    PayPal sent. Haven't been to my Post Office since Tuesday. The McE2S is probably sitting there. Don't know why the email bounced back.
    Thank you,
    oldgrandpajack