Is there anything that can match the output of M6?

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Is there any flashlight that is equal or greater in light output than the SF M6? I would really like to have one but I'm not sure I want to shell out $400.00 for it. Is there any modified lights (like Mags) that I can get that equals the output? Thanks for any information.

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
A magcharger with an WA 01160 bulb (flashlightlens.com has it) puts out more then 500 if i remember correctly.
Allthough your runtime will be like 30 minutes or so with the stock battery.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MC60 mentioned by StEaLtH above is around 110 or so, w/new bulb. You really want a new NIMH battery pack to replace the stock ones. There are 3.5Ah and 4Ah ones floating around here; both will greatly increase runtime (the stock batt stick is only 2.2Ah).

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
5.0Trunk,

A Tiger11 or Tiger85 should (I'm guessing) match (Tiger11) and exceed (Tiger85) the output of the M6. These TL mods require a TL gold system flashlight to start with ($125), then a cutom battery pack ($44), then a modded reflector and WA lamp which I pot into a ring ($12 + $11). This is for the Tiger11. So if you add up the cost it is $192. The Tiger85 is $20 more due to the cost of modding the charging system.

Then the MC60, mentioned above, about equals the output of the M6 HOLA, judging by beam shots and reports, although I have played with neither light, and costs on the order of $100 for MC and $5 for the 1160. However, the MC60 is prone to melting when used in this configuration. There are a number of threads on the subject. Ginseng has/had some mica heat shields for the socket which pretty much eliminated that problem.

Oh, and both the TL and MC will need glass lenses installed. About $8 from www.flashlightlens.com.

In any case, the M6 is about more than just sheer output. The M6 is also very small and light and Shock Isolated and has, I'm sure, a lovely beam which is a good compromise between throw and spill light. Plus the M6 has a tactically correct switch and a quick-change battery holder. It's a real beauty and well worth the money, IMO.

jtice

Flashaholic
I didnt realize the TL and magchargers put out 500 lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Very nice for the price then.

I am planning on building a 10W HID Mag mod soon, it is rated for 500 lumens also.
It is similar to the Hid system in the UK Canon, except it is a 10V ballast insteadof 12V,, same bulb though.

pyro

Enlightened
jtice, the lights don´t deliver 500 lumens in the stock version,
these are modified with different bulbs, batteries and metal
reflecctor. still chaeaper than M6 and rechargeable.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
I didnt realize the TL and magchargers put out 500 lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Very nice for the price then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incans are still the scalable, best-blast-for-the-buck system going. TL and MC60 make ALOT of light.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Is there anything that can match the output of

js, agreed on the M6 ... this is still the King ... perfection.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
bernhard

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah,

The cost of running an M6 is the only thing that kept me from buying one months and months ago. I got a TigerLight instead, and, dang, look what I've gotten myself into. A fine fix, I'll tell you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was worth it though.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The thing that prevents me from getting an M6 is the vision of dollar bills steadily streaming out of my wallet at the rate of 1 every 3 minutes! That image clouds my vision and prevents me from enjoying all those great photons.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened

Get a 10X if you don't want to spend 3x minimum wage every hour running a 500lm Surefire.

Surefires are bright, small, well-built and undoubtedly cool looking, but those aspects come with a price. You can get something way brighter for way less $$$. Have you noticed that Surefires have some of the highest lumens/weight and lowest lumens/$ of any light?

Size15's

Flashaholic

There is a TV presenter of the car show "Top Gear" called Jeremy Clarkson. He's getting this new Ford GT40 Supercar. It costs him £1 a mile in gas. It goes 75 miles on a full tank. He works 76 miles from his home each way.

Yet he buys one and will be driving it on the road to and from work.

A SureFire M6 is like a GT40. It's a superlight. If Clarkson had a flashlight I bet it'd be the M6.

Al

FNinjaP90

Enlightened

Ehhh I seriously doubt that. The Ford GT isn't even that much of a gas guzzler compared to the big SUV's and pickups around here. The Ford GT gets 14/21 MPG. So, unless gas costs $25 a gallon over there, I seriously doubt that. If that's true, then getting an H2 over there would drink £2 per mile.

And yes, I download and watch top gear videos all the time. It's so much better than the crap they show over here. If only they'd bring it over to the US...

Size15's

Flashaholic

But my point is - we don't always worry or care about the practical or running cost side of the things we want. There are few who need an M6 but I for one certainly want one. It's running cost is not important to me.

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened

That's weird, Size15s. When I was thinking of high operating costs, I was thinking about Modena ownership for whatever reason? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

FNinjaP90

Enlightened

Or a Testarossa....

But back on topic. Yeah. The M6 is expensive to operate. And $20/hr is with the cheapest 123A's available too.