Malkoff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Peppermill

Default The Ultimate Peppermill

Believe it or not....and I wouldn't lead you astray....there is only one pepper mill for your kitchen or dining room table.

It is the <font color="red"> Unicorn Magnum </font> or Unicorn Magnum Plus by Tom David, Inc.

Why does this choice matter? Because 99.999% of all the peppermills sold are pure, unadulterated junk. They almost always work poorly at best, they often break down, and are good for little more than use as paper weights.

The Unicorn Magnum is different. It has an oversized grinding mechanism, works like a champ, and is durable as all hell. Get one of these for your wife and family and they may just keep you around for a few more years.

I like the basic Unicorn Magnum (6" high) model.

Tom David, Inc.
    Cooking.com
    Chef's Outlet
    Epicurious

Don't look this gift horse in the mouth. Just buy the item and enjoy the finest in freshly ground pepper with your meals!

L3

Flashaholic*

Default Re: The Ultimate Peppermill

I have an electric one that works pretty good

L3, why are you posting all this marketing hype here on CPF? First the Benchmade Axis lock and now this peppermill thing. Do you work for either of those manufacturers? Are you in the advertising biz? It's one thing to review or recommend an interesting product, but these threads look a little too much like sales pitches.

L3,
    While I can't comment on the Tom David mills as I haven't personally used them (I've heard good things though), I do have personal experience with mills from William Bounds, who makes some very nice ones as well. I agree with you though, 99.999% of all the peppermills sold are pure, unadulterated junk!

Both of these companies' mills grind the pepper in the same fashion, but the WM Bounds ones use a ceramic worm instead of a steel one for better durability (so they claim). WM Bounds also has a huge variety of different mills, from steel to wood, art deco to ceramic bodies; lots of choices.

I've had my mill for nearly 8 years, and it sees daily use. Still works as well as the day I bought it.

Here's mine, the Rita Satin Chrome combo (has salt in the top too):

Fresh pepper is definitely the way to go!!!
    (and yes, you can get info about just about anything here on the good 'ole CPF)

Here's L3's website: http://www.armalube.com/

It doesn't appear he's selling peppermills, but he does seem to sell BM stuff.

Not necessarily evil in and of itself though, you can certainly sell something and still have valid opinions and discussion.

Flashaholic*

My pepper mills work fine I got clear plastic ones, 1 online and 1 at Wally World (black and Red pepper) also have a salt mill I like to see when I am running out. I would think the Ultimate would be the Giant 5 foot tall one Emeril uses on the food network.
    Topper [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I use a Zassenhaus peppermill I bought from Penzey's, which is where I also get my peppercorns and other spices. The Zassenhaus is also an excellent mill in my opinion, and they also make probably the best hand coffee mills money can buy.

Flashaholic

I'm surprised no one mentioned Peugeot. They seem to be the #1 choice for upscale restaurants. Another cool one is the Zassenhaus (available at Penzey's). My favorite though for shear efficiency is the aforemnetioned Magnum. 2 twists and you got a ton of pepper, plus the big one holds enough for a century. I also like the W.M. Bounds. And let's not forget the pepper. www.penzeys.com has a wonderful selction and has encyclopedic info about all the different peppercorns.

jook, restaurant bean counter

Flashaholic*

What the heck is a Penzeys

Flashaholic

A site that specializes in spices.

Flashaholic*

Ok, I use myspicer.com I need to check out Penzeys

paulr,

I have my own style of posting information, and I am not here to sell anything! Whether or not you approve obviously means nothing!

You can read my stuff, enjoy it, and benefit from it. Or, you can change channels!

L3

Flashaholic

I have an electric, stainless steel, peppermill that uses 6 aaa batteries, has a sight-glass, AND has an LED light on the bottom which illuminates your food while "pepperizing" it...

It works awesome!!!

Plus, if the power goes out while eating dinner, you won't be left in the dark... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

bryguy42 what brand is your electric pepper mill

Flashaholic

Mr. DUDLEY it says on the bottom.

plus it says carbon steel/patent pending.

I got it at "chefs" catalog years ago for $40.00

my favorite kitchen utensil...

Flashaholic*

Very happy with the used wooden peppermill that the previous owner of our condo (an old friend of ours) left behind. It has been grinding our peppercorns just fine for over five years now.

FWIW I find L3's posting style a bit grating, but that's just MHO.

-Keith

Flashaholic*

L3 please reconsider your Ultimate style. I mean no harm and I as well as others are trying to converse on the topics you have placed. edit&gt; If this post is not proper please remove it. I was trying to be nice but it is bed time for me &gt; [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I believe that remarks of the sort voiced by paulr are rude, inappropriate, and totally void of good taste. The fault lies not in my posting style. Nothing about my posts is a justifiable cause for anyone taking offense.

Tolerance, decency, and basic respect for others are traits missing from the character of a few inconsiderate individuals. I will not take the heat for their shortcomings.

L3

L3,

I also find your 'Ultimate' posts to be grating and just this side of trolling. If your intent isn't to grate and to start arguments, then you really may want to reconsider your posting style.

When enough people begin to suggest the same thing, it is time to consider the fact that they may have a point.

Please consider your own words and how they may apply to your own posts, "Tolerance, decency, and basic respect for others are traits missing from the character of a few inconsiderate individuals."

Respectfully,
    Pat

Flashaholic*

Oh geeze. Just because the guy feels strongly about an item and posts to inform others about it, doesn't mean he needs to be attacked. Isn't what this forum is about? The spread of information? If he thinks his gadget is the best in the world, so what? Its only 'grating' when you disagree with his opinion and apparently think YOUR opinion is superior. If you want to be constructive, post other products of a similar nature that you have found to be worthwhile.

To keep on topic, why do I need a peppermill and why is it better than a 1 dollar pepper shaker? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Mark

Flashaholic

I'm another Peugeot fan. They've been making pepper mills way longer than they have cars.

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    Minjin said:
    To keep on topic, why do I need a peppermill and why is it better than a 1 dollar pepper shaker? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    Mark

[/ QUOTE ]
    The thought that someone who collects flashlights wouldn't have at least a primo example of a storage device for a spice that was responsible for wars left me reeling...

Sorry! Couldn't resist.... someone on CFP said basically the same thing to me yesterday when I asked a similar question about pocket knives. I had to do penance and go stand in the corner.

If you don't think pepper is the greatest thing to come along since fire, then all you need is a can of McCormick's ground pepper. Or use the same analogy to instant coffee vs. good fresh coffee. Have you ever tried freshly ground good quality peppercorns? And all the peppermill does is facilitate the grounding and enables you to adjust the coarseness.

Ahhhh, pepper.
    It is nigh impossible to find a good peppermill..
    Once you do hang on to it.
    I'm in search of another, replacement, mill.
    I'll try one of the above..
    Anyone ever try OXIO brand..
    If I remember.. they're rated very highly.
    Thanks
    Tom

Minjin,

Your support and common sense are appreciated. Peppermills are significant and beneficial because of the special flavorful appeal conveyed by freshly ground pepper. Also, a surprising variety of peppercorns are available for use in grinders. The kinds and varieties go far beyond what would otherwise be available.

Penzey's, mentioned by others, is an excellent source of all kinds of spices, including various peppercorns.

Reluctant as some folks are to recognize that good peppermills are extremely rare, it important to note that the Unicorn Magnum is a special example. There is a tendency for people to think that the peppermill they have and use is above average. The truth is that time and effort are too limited to allow independent research by each person. Here is an opportunity to learn from others. How do you know that this is true? Just read the references.

Enjoy! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

L3

The as Zassenhaus mills mentioned by javafool are right up there with the best too. Their coffee mills are second to NONE.

Many good choices listed here! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tom David
    William Bounds
    Peugot
    Zassenhaus

L3,

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with your posting style, and I couldn't have been more pleased to find someone HIGHLY recommmending a particular grinder. I have intuitively sensed for a long long time that all the pepper mills I saw at the stores were more or less junk. Crap. And not cheap either. So I have refrained from buying a mill for something over TEN YEARS! I honestly can't thank you enough for this post and your uncompromising endorsement of this product. I am going to carefully check this out.

Personally, I like to get my information on products from people who are enthusiastic about those products. When I want to know about SureFires, I want to hear from someone like Size15s or chamenos. When I want to know about Lux III's and LED lights, I want to hear from someone like LEDmodMan.

So when someone is posting an "ultimate" type rave, I click on it and feel very thankful. Too often I see a "reasonable" laudry list of possible choices with provisos such as "there are a lot of good choices" and general recommendations such as "look for mills with . . ." YES, these type articles/posts are helpful, but I prefer to read three or four specific recommendations of products that the reviewers LOVED and WHY. Then I can draw my own conclusions about what is probably best for me.

As for Zassenhaus mills, I have their knee mill coffee grinder and it is AWESOME! The quality of grind is hard to beat at any price, and is impossible to beat for the $60-$70 it costs. The tradeoff? It's hand cranked. Personally, I like that. Puts me in the whole coffee mood and all.

But anyway, I suspect their pepper grinder is pretty good too! I'll have to check both of these out.

I have never felt too sure about the Peugot mills, on the other hand. No good reason. Just a gut feeling.

Anyway, thanks for this. And thanks LEDmodMan for the list you just posted above.

I like the Perfex salt and pepper grinders. The only downside or possible upside is that it isn't large like a fence post but that means you have to fill it up more often.

js,

Sincere thanks for those kind words. A little kindness goes a long way. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bob

The way peppermills were explained to me as a kid.

There are 2 main styles made - Italian, which have a spring, and from what I understand cut courser when tightened - I never really used one long enough to know, and French (read Puegot) , they have no spring, and the and you losen to cut courser. The thing is, it's hard to find French style mills. I found a real nice one when I was first married, but the "boutique" woodwork, which looked nice, cracked in a couple of years. By that time, I had found a nice classic one, and have been using it since - Mom and Dad have had their's for at least 50 years, and I suspect they MAY have been my grandparents before that!!! (have to ask Dad). Nice old patina on them, and they work great

I bought a Unicorn Magnum peppermill about 5 years ago after they were rated as best by Cooks Illustrated. I have a couple friends that also do a lot of cooking, and after using mine, one bought 2 plus the salt grinder, and the other also bought one. While "best" is subjective, I can say that these are outstanding mills that work exactly the way they should. They hold their adjustment and put out a LOT of pepper (or salt) per turn. Plus, they hold enough that you don't have to fill them often, and when you do, they have a nice, big, opening so you don't spill the peppercorns all over the place. I also buy most of my spices from Penzeys. I used to mail order, but they opened a shop a couple blocks from my favorite local brewpub a couple years ago, so now I can stop on the way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast