Need Help Deciding on Casio

capnal

Enlightened
CPF user "Max" started another thread talking about the Casio watches with the LEDs. This got me looking into the Casio line, and shopping the online catalog at Walmart of all places. Anyway, I want some free advice on
which would you rather have"....

Choices:
0007976777782_500X500.jpg

or

0007976778627_500X500.jpg

First, I really like the combo analog hands with the digital read out. So, with that in mind, I selected these choices. One has the Atomic time update feature and is NOT G-shock rated. The other IS G-shock rated but does not have the atomic time updates /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Is the G-shock rating that important? Is the atomic time feature really reliable? Does it really work all that well? The G-Shock is about double the price of the other one. Which one would you choose?

Frangible

Enlightened
I don't personally think the G-Shock rating is that important (I'm wearing one as I type this). Pretty much any quartz watch is going to be very tough.

The atomic time function works ok, getting atomic time is kinda like getting a GPS lock. It works indoors, but barely, and the watch has to be relatively still for like 5 minutes.

I'd choose the first for the atomic time, if I had to choose between them.

paulr

Flashaholic
The atomic time isn't a big deal for me. I can get the exact time from www.time.gov and set my watch to it. Any decent digital watch will be accurate to within 1 second a day, and generally more like 0.5 seconds in my experience. So a month after I set it, it's off by under half a minute. That means if I set it once or twice a month, it's always pretty close.

Also, the error is usually pretty consistent, i.e. my Casio gains about 0.4 sec a day, which means I generally know about how far it's off. I don't know why you can't program the watch to correct the error automatically (i.e. you set the watch twice over a few week period and the watch calculates the drift and applies the appropriate correction thereafter).

jdb2

Newly Enlightened
I love radio controlled watches and clocks. I'd always go for the Waveceptor, radio-controlled by the atomic clock. I have several of the Casio Waveceptors, including the G-shock atomic solar-powered digital watch. Of course, since this is CPF, I'd suggest getting both of them....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Speaking as somebody who has 2 radio-controlled clocks in his home, don't hesitate to get a radio-controlled watch if you find one with the right features and price for you. The watch will set itself to correct time, and change for daylight savings time automatically - one less clock to set twice each year. I live in the upper midwest so reception is not an issue at all for me. In Fort Worth, you are well under 1000 mi from Fort Collins, CO where the WWV signal originates, and I've brought a radio-controlled alarm clock with me on a trip to Irving, TX with good reception within a hotel.

I have been looking for the right radio-controlled watch for myself for some months. I just haven't found one yet with the right looks and features for myself. The current ana-digi Casio models are getting closer.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Beware of your distance from the WWV signal. I just received an atomic clock/thermometer combo that is unable to get the time signal in central NC.

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
Based purely on aesthetics, I'd go with the Waveceptor. Also, I'm not really sure the average guy actually needs something with a "g-shock" rating, since most inexpensive watches seem to be pretty durable.

Of course I'm sure you already know how I feel about this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
I also like the Waveceptor. I have several of the atomic wall clocks, and once you try atomic synchronized timekeeping, you'll not want to settle for the "old way". The only caveat is that the radio watches tend to be quite large; the Casio G-shock ones I've tried in the past have been too large for my taste.

Thanks for pointing these out, I was unaware Casio had a digi-analog combo Waveceptor. I went to Wal-Mart's site and also saw this one, which may be physically a bit smaller (I hope):
0007976777779_500X500.jpg

I'm gonna stop by my friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart tonight and check 'em out! (Gives me a good excuse to pick up another Dorcy AAA or 2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Cheers,

Dave

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the way the Wave Cepter looks, but I like the older or classic G-Shocks. I have been in places that I wouldn't be able to picke up the radio signals, and I have broken a couple watches, including a G-Shock, but it did last 6 months after the crystal broke before totally dying from moisture. I've used them for some not quite normal uses though. Most watches are pretty durable though. My cheapie Timex held up decently until I broke the band. If you are using it for some sort of rugged use, the G-Shock might be the better choice.

emann

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
capnal said:
One has the Atomic time update feature and is NOT G-shock rated. The other IS G-shock rated but does not have the atomic time updates /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Which one would you choose?

[/ QUOTE ] Easy, Just get the one I just bought. It is a G-Shock and has Atomic time. It only ran me $72.91 at Wal-Mart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

stockae92

Enlightened
get the G-Shock if you want a super tough watch

the regular one would work just fine for most people

so it really depends on which one looks better to you? how much you want to spend?

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend the atomic plus solar G-Shock if you don't mind wearing a large watch. Never having to set the watch, knowing to the second when the news will start, never needing a new battery, waterproof to 600 or so feet -- that's hard to beat.

The atomic function resets only in the early morning hours, but you do need to put it in a place where it gets reception.

I like a digital readout for at least the date because it is larger and easier to see.

Josey

sotyakr

Enlightened
My Casio GW300 atomic/solar watch died recently after the battery refused to hold a charge after only one year's use. Not exactly the battery life that I was expecting...

This might of been a fluke, but I believe at least one other CPF'er also had a similar experience. Other than that, with the exception of it's bulk, I really liked it's features and functions. Never had any problems getting a time sync, at least once in a day in CA.

sotyakr

Enlightened
Josey,
I didn't really notice anything unusual until I strapped it on one day to find a blank display. Exposure to moderate light got a low battery signal, so I left it out in an attempt to recharge the battery without success as it would only hold a charge for a short period of time. It was my work (which is outdoors) watch, so it got plenty of exposure to the sun.