FF II observation

coachbigdog

Enlightened
Alright now,this is mearly an OBSERVATION,so I don't want anyone getting all "hissy".It's just that there seems to be alot of "little" problems for the FFII.And for $120-140,I think that's crazy.Don't misunderstand me,I am a fan and I want one,but not if I have to fix things after paying that much.And here's the MOST interesting observation of them all:When the xm2 came out people were OUTRAGED for having to fix tail switches,glued on lenses,etc., and these were ONLY $40 pre-ordered! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Yet very few are "up in arms" about having to fix the FFII.Complaints,yes,but not like with the xm2.Just kind of weird to me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Photonian

Newly Enlightened
Well Coach,

Everybody pretty much knew about the issues using cut down optics so that's not a problem. The other issues center around the 2-stage switch which I don't use but hey, nothing is perfect. That said...

The FF2 is about as good as is possible in that form factor with that amount of photons pouring out.

jtice

Flashaholic
I think the fact that it IS more money, is why you hear more complaints.
The Xm2 was only $40, so, ppl didnt expect a whole lot from it, so, you didnt hear about every little thing that was wrong with it.

With the more expensive FF2, ppl are expecting alot, and will be quick to point out every little problem.

The turned down optics are not that great, BUT, as was said above, ppl knew about that before hand, and you just cant expect all that much from a turned down optic.

The flickering dual level switch is really the only problem. These problems were discussed before hand also.
For example, I really think a foam washer should have been added, to prevent battery rattle, this would also help the flickering problem.
The switch can be adjusted alittle, making the contact stick up further etc. Ands that can fix alot of it.

Without the dual switch, the FF2 is very reliable due to its simple twist on/off design.
And, even if the dual switch fails, you will always have high mode.

I could mantion about 3 or 4 other things I would have done alittle differently on the FF2, but I could also say that for any other light I own.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
I think the fact that it IS more money, is why you hear more complaints.

Actually,there were MORE complaints about the xm2 than the FFII.What I was really getting at is I DO want a FFII,BUT if you pay that kind of money,you should be gettin a great product "out of the box". The VIP is a perfect example,I don't have one of those either,but I didn't read many complaints about it.Oh well,like I said, just observations.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
you're right coachbigdog, the FF2 isn't problem-free. Nothing too serious that cannot be fixed or will jeopardize the function of the light, but nevertheless, not perfect.
BUT it is the only available light in that formfactor in this quality-class that offers that lot of features: 2-level, regulated, watertight, HA3, tailstand, split-ring, replaceable sammy, ...
So ... everything is a compromise, and in this case, you'd have to know that a one-man-show DSpeck is conducting here may end with some problems. This is an immense endeavor and not everything is plannable unfortunately. Just think of the Arc4 for example, and there was the whole power of Arc LLC behind the design ...

bernhard

jtice

Flashaholic
They are,,,, DSpeck.
He pretty mcuh is doing it all, he had to get the thing designed up, and out to the machine shop to get made, and deal with all the protos, and getting it right, Then assembling them all !

coachbigdog

Enlightened
Well,I meant a company not an individual.Well,I'll just save up for the LionHeart!And yes,I'm already on the list.Yahoooo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I believe that whatever issues are present in the FF-II are minor. I hate optics and would much prefer a reflector. I knew that going in, so it's not a dissappointment to me. As far as the 2-stage switch, no issues here on any of the (3) units I have. The FF-II is a great light in my opinion.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the SX017 (not sure if that's the right number) fit in the FF? Seems that the reflector is smaller in diameter than the NX05 and Fraens. Anyone?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice,

Thanks for the links /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Now I just gotta get the FF, still eagerly awaiting.

CM

cy

Flashaholic
A simple solution for firefly lack of reflector is during machining simply cut a relector into the aluminum head and polish to a mirror finish. Unanodized aluminum is pretty soft and would polish out nicely.

The tiny N-lux is done this way and the beam is wonderful.

I've had zero problems with my firefly2 or firefly 1. IMHO They are among the best constructed/designed light ever made.

They have one of the best form factor of any light that you can actually purchase.

I consider the two stage switch an add-on from dat2zip. Any complaints should go there. It took me a little bit of effort to get my two stage switch dialed in, now it working flawlessly. Having a 30+ hour low setting makes all the difference in versatility.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
Alright now,this is mearly an OBSERVATION,so I don't want anyone getting all "hissy".It's just that there seems to be alot of "little" problems for the FFII.And for $120-140,I think that's crazy.Don't misunderstand me,I am a fan and I want one,but not if I have to fix things after paying that much.And here's the MOST interesting observation of them all:When the xm2 came out people were OUTRAGED for having to fix tail switches,glued on lenses,etc., and these were ONLY $40 pre-ordered! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Yet very few are "up in arms" about having to fix the FFII.Complaints,yes,but not like with the xm2.Just kind of weird to me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, don't sweat it, the ARC4 cost more, and was a "work of art" in and of itself. The issues are well documented here on cpf.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tiny tiny tiny!

I am waiting for my Fire~Fly II after having EDC'd the FF I for a while now. Bottom line is that I don't know of any light this small that puts out this much light. It is much smaller than an ARC LS!

The two stage switch even with it's potential for problems is fantastic. I bought one and installed it in my first FF. it makes a tiny light even more useful.

The copper head and it's heatsinking ability makes this a super light!

Coach you sound skeptical, I doubt anyone here is going to convince you with words alone, someones gonna have to loan you one for a few days.

GregR

coachbigdog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Tiny tiny tiny!

I am waiting for my Fire~Fly II after having EDC'd the FF I for a while now. Bottom line is that I don't know of any light this small that puts out this much light. It is much smaller than an ARC LS!

The two stage switch even with it's potential for problems is fantastic. I bought one and installed it in my first FF. it makes a tiny light even more useful.

The copper head and it's heatsinking ability makes this a super light!

Coach you sound skeptical, I doubt anyone here is going to convince you with words alone, someones gonna have to loan you one for a few days.

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not skeptical at all.As I said I will eventually get one.Everyone has turned this into a "convince coach" post.I was mearly observing how people were VERY vocal about the xm2 and it's short comings while being "tolerant" of the FFII's flaws even though it cost 3 times as much.I just found that kind of funny.If it were me,it would be just the opposite.I feel that if I pay $100+ dollars there should be very few problems.To give an example,I here very few complaints about Mr.Bulk's mods.Like I said in the title,I was just making observations,nothing more,nothing less.

cy

Flashaholic
coach, you cannot even compare the quality of XM-2 to firefly.

Xm-2 is mass produced in the far east VS hand made in Canada. the only place they are close to being equal is the luxeon.

My XM-2 had a wonderful beam, brite and white. But the rest of the light was subpar and that's being generous. Put it this way, my XM-2 experience may cause me never to buy another light from Elektrolumens.

firefly is my EDC with Arc AAA as a backup. I love my firefly. I love it even more with the aluminum head installed and the NX-05 optics are tuned. My firefly's beam is almost perfect, simular to an NX-01.

I personally like the firefly 1 better than firefly 2.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
coach, you cannot even compare the quality of XM-2 to firefly.

Xm-2 is mass produced in the far east VS hand made in Canada. the only place they are close to being equal is the luxeon.

My XM-2 had a wonderful beam, brite and white. But the rest of the light was subpar and that's being generous. Put it this way, my XM-2 experience may cause me never to buy another light from Elektrolumens.

firefly is my EDC with Arc AAA as a backup. I love my firefly. I love it even more with the aluminum head installed and the NX-05 optics are tuned. My firefly's beam is almost perfect, simular to an NX-01.

I personally like the firefly 1 better than firefly 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does no one understand what I'm saying? Ok,as simple as I know how to put it;cheap flashlight,problems expected,complaints expected(you get what you pay for)EXPENSIVE flashlight,problems should be VERY infrequent.Just as you said,there is no comparison between xm2 and FFII.I agree.That's why there should be fewer problems.Better example(as I've said at least twice but people look over it for some reason)VIP and FFII are on the same "level".Yet there are consistant problems with the FFII vs. the VIP. Maybe they are minor problems,but at $140 a pop,you shouldn't have to "fix" your "swiss cheese" beam pattern."That's all I got to say bout that."(ala Forest Gump)

paulr

Flashaholic
Ehh, the FF is like a British sports car; you buy it for its character and expect that it will have some idiosyncrasies. It's a limited run, semi-handmade light and isn't going to have the consistency of a production light that can use more custom tooling and has had several design iterations to get all the bugs out.