LED driver on testosterone

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Working on a custom driver for someone, thought you guys might get a laugh.

The first picture is the driver pumping out 100mA into a 200 ohm load resistor for a less than manly 2Watts output. That's the low end of the output range. But even at that output you want a pretty decent load resistor. Notice the Luxeon star near the board for size reference.

boost5a1.jpg

Ok, now we put in the BIG resistor and crank the output up a little, now we're pumping just on 3A into a 8 ohm load for about 70Watts. Only half way to it's full power output capability of ~140 Watts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, it has a dimmer pot - full current regulation from 100mA to 5A output at up to 28V. Running from 12V input.

boost5a2.jpg

george.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Haw! This the BOOST5A you were talking about? And how'd you get MY PanaPot in there???

Very nice - now to get to the drawing board and design a flashlight around this sucker...oops, make that a skylight... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Damn, did someone say, er a scream POWER !!!!!!!!

Nice work George, you are a power pumping master!

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's the BOOST5A project. Same pot that Fatman uses (different value though).

What I need now is Lumileds to donate a palette of Luxeon stars and I can start converting my house main lighting to Luxeons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That driver is scalable in output since it uses external FETs. I still has a ways to go before its fully grown up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

george.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Would being electrocuted by ones own home made flashlight qualify one for the Darwin Awards? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Would being electrocuted by ones own home made flashlight qualify one for the Darwin Awards? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

A double entry if you were also blinded by the 140Watts of LED lighting as you were being electrocuted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

george.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see, 28-30 LEDs, assuming they are 5W versions, even with a conservative V bin rating at 120 lumens each, that's 3600 lumens coming out of the front end. Project Aurora/Phoenix's LED counterpart?

With enough X bins, averaging 225 lumens per LED, that's 6750 lumens of raw power. It's hard for me to imagine anything that can be so bright except when I step outside at noon.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

PS: Can I get one of the X-bin 6750 lumen lights in Mag4D size? puhleeeeeeeeeeeze? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
140 Watts!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif
cool022.gif

I can only imagine the arrays of 5w LS's that KevinL1 describes. A 5x5 square with one at the center of each edge. That would be soooo kick a$$!!! Somewhere between 4k and 6.5k Lumens is up there is the spotlight category in output!!!
sprachlos040.gif

However, you would need one heck of a large reflector to even begin to focus that energy. The most effective way would likely be to mount the LS's in suspension over the reflector pointing back at it (like that Pelican one does, I think they call it recoil tech.), and I can't imagine a reflector smaller than 10" doing much good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Nice to imagine though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are all thinking in the wrong direction. This custom driver is actually to drive a few different discrete LED arrays - one of them has something like 720 individual LEDs in it (non Luxeon based). It is actually for a totally different lighting application than 'human' lighting... I'm just supplying the driver (actually the design) in this application.

But yes - it could be used for a seriously insane Luxeon spotlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

george.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok lets think 30 x 5w, if we find 30 people to donate a 5w, and george to donate one of those drivers... we could try to build some serious flashlight. 2 CPU fans to get rid of the heat. Question is what battery could supply that much current?

How about getting a Guiness Book of World Record Entry.... Does anyone know what the brightest portable FLASHLIGHT is in there at the moment? After the entry...everyone who donated a luxeon/driver gets to play with it for a couple of days....

Hey mabye lumileds would sponsor something like this...

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
hangon - if its 140watt at 28v output, then..............you could have 3 or 4 banks of 140watt worth of lux, with the luxes wired in paralell in each bank, and the banks in series, meaning 560 watts of luxeons, meaning.... 112 luxeons, if all v bin....

13440 lux. Thirteen thousand Four hundred Fourty lux.

now, try X bin.

25200 LUX! yes, TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED LUX!!!!!!!!

i repeat, TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED LUX!!!!!!!!!!

and again, TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED LUX!!!!!!

wow. we gotta be getting up to MCG (football stadium) grade lighing here!

now, just need about 40 peltiers to keep them cool, and about 15 tonnes of car battery to run it, plus some pelts to keep the batts cool, and MORE pelts to keep the driver circuit cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. now, i think to charge it, we'll use an Electric Arc Welder power unit....or two, or three, or fifteen.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif;);)

oh, Darrel, i think these would drain your EVs batteries faster than you can say 'OMFG how F***ing bright are those hea......hey, what happened to the light? *checks battery meter* WHAT? battery level 0.000001 percent? how the? damnit!!!!'

neg

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow how cool... the battery in my megasonic can output 200W easy... actually even gets a little warm when doing so... I could comfortably fit ooh.. 19 emitters into megasonic inside SO17XAs... got me really thinking now

pbarrette

Enlightened
Hi Neg,

Peltiers? That's just going to eat up more juice.. I'm thinking something more like a modded computer liquid cooling system.

Or a couple of radiators from big-block V8 engines..

pb

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooh - V8 radiators sounds nice. dont forget the industrial 1hp pump for the liquid cooling to get to the radiator though!

neg

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok lets put the pieces together... andrew's 200W battery - 40 emitters which produce 200W of heat.... The latest CPU coolers can cool about 80+W ... so take 3 of those - no peltier, no water cooling.... the reflector design that can host 40 Lux V's is an other challenge. - Result a 5000 lumen light or equivalent to about 10 x M6. The light wouldn't even be that heavy...

I think it's entirely possible!! Has anyone of you guys ever played with a 5'000 lumen light??

Does anyone know how to start a new thread while moving the Guiness Book comments into that thread...?

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah - it sounds real possible! about reflector: use a bunch of smaller reflectors all aiming slightly toward center rather than one big one. Georges80, can we buy one of these??

neg

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Neg2LED said:
yeah - it sounds real possible! about reflector: use a bunch of smaller reflectors all aiming slightly toward center rather than one big one. Georges80, can we buy one of these??
neg

[/ QUOTE ]

The company I did the design for is open to selling finished units back to me. They are just doing a pre-production run. Once they have enough to take care of their own initial needs I'll probably buy a few just for grins.

I doubt many folk will have the inclination to build something that requires this kind of driver (the cost outlay in LEDs is pretty steep). Of course since it is current regulated and the current output is adjustable - it could be 'detuned' to drive less than the rated 5A at 28V.

For a more cost effective & smaller footprint I will at some point in the near future have a driver that will run from 12V (optimally) and output a minimum of 55 watts. Boost converter, so example 40V at ~1.5A, maximum output voltage 45V. It will also be current regulated and output current adjustable.

george.