Surefire Light... which one?

spyrish

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm new here and found this place via a different forum. They had basic flashlight discussions and so I came here where I am hoping to get knowledge from the "experts".

I started my Surefire collection 3yrs ago with a M2. It was an awesome light.

Well, just about 1yr ago I got a E1 new style and liked it cause of the compact size and stopped using my M2. The M2 now sits next to the bed or when I need a powerfull light. I was thinking of upgrading the E1 to the KL1. To get longer burn time.

Then I got an A2 and love it cause I have the low power and high power and the batteries can be run until there's no power left.

My question is now I am thinking of getting a M3. I've seen them for around 160-180 and for the price thought it was a good deal, and with the KL6 led head coming out I would have both options.

However, with the L6 out I like the feature of the longer run time, but the bad side is that the L6 is only 65 lumens and the M3 is 125/250.

Also, I understand that the LED's never need to be replaced... while the M series have to be every now and then?

Does anybody have experience with both. Or just thoughts. I am just wondering which would be a better option.

Thanks,
Anthony

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF Anthony

What is your application for the M3 or L6 because that can make a big difference on whether the L6 is suitable.

I have all the SureFires you mention.
At this point based on what you have written so far, I would suggest you get the M3 for that price.

Al

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need the throw go with the M3. If you're doin a lot of close-up work, go with the LED L6. My L4 and L5 are great for close-up work like extrications at night or writing up a run-sheet in the dark.

Topper

Flashaholic*
If you choose to skip the M3 and get the M4 you can run the KL6 on it with 123's or 2 168s Pila's. Just a thought.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

spyrish

Newly Enlightened
Well, for applications... none to specific. I may use it for this, or that. I usually carry my A2 it comes in handy at work, as I work in a dark room (ATC) for 8 hours and the two bulbs are perfect.

But this would be a emergency light or camping light(can't the M2/M3 be used with weapons)?. I am planing to use the M2 for diving (talked to Surefire and they said with either standard or Z48 their people use it to about 200'), and would need a light M3 for an all purpose light.

I like the fact that the throw is almost 3x's the L6.

The other reason is yes the price is good, but a lot of M3's are going on the market??? That's another reason I'm asking.

Also, has anyone on here used the M2 or M3 for SCUBA?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
While Al is our resident SF expert, I would venture to say that the only certified diving/underwater light from SF is the 6PN, IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong Al). But if SF says its the M2 is ok with the Z48, I guess they would know better, eh?

Oh, where have my manners gone?? Welcome, by the way... I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here on CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

spyrish

Newly Enlightened
Thanks it looks like I'm going to enjoy it here. When I first got the M2 it was advertised to be waterproof to xx' and a cert was available. However, since then, they stoped doing the cert cause it was to expensive. But talking to someone at SF today he said to just use the standard M2 and it would be fine. So, we'll see what happens this weekend when I go diving.

Thanks again for all the info, and sorry if this has been covered before, but I am trying to go through all the posts and I got overloaded with the numerous amounts of info here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire still have the capability to test to depth.
Here is a thread on the topic.

The only way to know for sure in use is to try. I'd take a new Millennium Series light underwater no worries.

It's important to have clean threads and o-rings and not unscrew the bezel, and keep TailCap rotation to bare minimum.

Al

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Aww, AWTYD beat me to it! But hey spyrish, welcome to CPF anyways and why dontcha stay awhile!

LEDs are much hardier than incan bulbs, and should take abuse and last thousands of hours. While the M series are shock isolated bezels, intended to survive weapons recoil, a good drop on the head can trash your expensive Surefire lamp. That said, I've dropped my M2 bezel several times with no ill aftereffects.

And for diving, the PT Surge is rather inexpensive, easy to use and pretty bright!

welcome again,
daloosh

Speaking of Kansas City, AWTYD, my bro in law is in Lenexa.

spyrish

Newly Enlightened
Well, I tried my M2 yesterday at a max depth of 26'. I did a shallow dive with a friend and when we got to 26' I tried the light and no problems. Then I tried to turn the tailcap, but not to much just enough to turn it on and again no problems.
I noticed when taken apart that the two o-rings at the back worked great! The water stopped at the first o-ring.

On the front there was a little junk in there and looked like a drop got past the o-ring, however, the o-ring is a bit up there and must of gotten wet when unscrewing it. There was no water in the light at all, so... in all I would say it worked perfect! My next dive with the light will be up to a 50'max depth and I'll let you guy know what happens.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
How was the M2's output as a dive light? Useful beam or would something tighter be more effective?

spyrish

Newly Enlightened
Considering the time of day...10am, it was just a test to check the operation against water. But when getting down to 26' the water was murky and vis went to about 1-2'.

I tried it and it was a nice beam. It looked like a lightsaber from Starwars and was probably about 6inchs in diameter. At night I'm thinking that it would be very good.

I was using the P60 in it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've used the M3T, M6 and my 12PM underwater - in swimming pools. I've used the M3T in a lake and in the sea. These TurboHead beams are very impressive underwater!

Al

P.S.
The 12PM did have a Z41 LockOut TailCap.