Fisher Space Pen

toos

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a Fisher Space pen and since today is the 35th anniversary of the moon landing it seemed worth mentioning. Great pen, originally made by Fisher for the US space program (on his "nickel"). Its great to have a pen that works under every condition you can imagine. Since my office eliminated the supply room and went to having the secretary hand out supplies (yes, how Dilbertesque), it seems I'm continually having to change the cheap pens we now get. The Fisher Space pen has solved that problem for me. Now I'm thinking I might need a Fisher bullet pocket pen or a "never runs dry" Millenium. Does anyone out there have a Millenium?

Moe

Newly Enlightened
I have two older models of the space pen, but i don't use them anymore. The ink really doesn't last very long, to be honest.
In my job i write a lot (!) with my pen and the space pens don't meet my needs at all. (Lamy does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)
If i will ever find myself 200 meters below the sea or in outer space, i will have other problems to solve than writing down some note... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I've had both blobby yucky space pens, and really nice smooth writing ones. At the moment, our bailout bags each have a little space pen in it, accompanying a little 3x5 Rite in the Rain pad.

daloosh

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
opn.jpg

All the recent posts about Fisher pens have piqued my interest in them again. I am thinking about picking up an X-750. Anyone have any experience with this one? It is like the bullet, but with a nicer rubber grip. I'm not sure how bulky it is, though. I am not crazy about the bullet because the grip is so skinny, but I want one pretty small for pocket carry.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up the X-750 pictured in the post above. It is a very nice pen. It is about 1/2 inch longer than the bullet when closed and the ends don't taper as much, so it is not quite as compact for pocket carry, but it is still pretty good for pocket carry. And it makes a better pen when open since it has a nice rubber grip and looks more like a normal executive pen than the bullet. To be honest, I don't really like the looks of the bullet and wouldn't want to use it in a professional environment, but tastes vary. The new ink cartridge works well and seems a lot better than the ones I got a few years ago. It is now on par with any typical ballpoint pen, so I am happy about that.

Overall I am very happy with the X-750 so far. The classic Bullet is a great pen, but for those looking for something a little different, the X-750 is a good alternative. I found it at Brookstone for $30.

After years of letting my Fisher pens sit, I think I am a Fisher fan again. I don't really care about the extreme performance that much, but they are nice pens apart from that. And I have noticed that normal ball point pens stored in a car in the winter won't write for me, so the Fishers are good for that, too.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a space pen, just didn't do anything for me. I'm happier with my $2 Pilot Easy Touch, and if I loose it no big deal.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pentel Clarius and RSVP are my favorite inexpensive pens. You won't find better writing or more comfortable pens even at 100 x the price, IMO. They are workhorses, but it's also good to have a nice pen for some circumstances.