Looking to buy my first decent flashlight, Toronto

Chatbox

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Toronto, and can't really find any store that sell decent (LED-based) flashlight (I don't like MagLite).

So, I'm all ears. Interested in getting something by SureFire, but don't know where from. Or, if you know where I can find a decent store, please let me know.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Looking to buy my first decent flashlight, Tor

Talk to DSpeck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*

Hi Chatbox,

Welcome to CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

If you're looking for Surefire, check with RNicholls, they have the largest selection in the GTA. I normally order mine from the US if I can't find it @ Rnicholls.

Paulr has already mentioned Dspeck if you are interested in the Firefly, a single-cell Luxeon-based light.

Check out this thread for a list of retailers put together by other CPF'ers in TO.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to the board, I would recommend you look at the Streamlight Twin-task 2L around $30USD. It may be the only flashlight you ever need.

GregR

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

Best bang for the buck is the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon at around $30 US. Very bright, runs on 2 AAs. I got mine at pocketlights.com. He ships via USPS. I didn't pay any HST, GST, customs, duty or broker fees.

Techmedic

Enlightened

Hey Chatbox,

Welcome to CPF!
Another thumbs-up for R. Nicholls. www.rnicholls.com
R Nicholls stocks most versions of Streamlights and Sure fire. They can ship also no problem. Great to deal with.
Beware of ordering lights (high priced ones that is) from the US. They can get hung up for duty and taxes, which you may end of spending more for the light that if you went to R Nicholls in the first place. Better yet, order lights from some of the great US retailers for delivery to your US hotel while on a vaction in the US.

Try also:
Mountain Equipment Co-op, Toronto; www.mec.ca
Lebaron in Markham; www.lebaron.ca

For lithium batteries order them from Batterystation. If your order is less than $20 Canadian, you will not pay duty, or taxes. This translates to about 14 (123's)cells per order. All retail locations are way too greedy for lithium cells.
www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm

Finally, beware of the classic problem of money flying out of wallet for this addiction! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Take a look at the Streamlight Task light Luxeon 3AA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
The Luxeon LED provides a bright beam and the Task
Light uses 3 AA bateries with a 28 hr. run time.
I use rechargable NiMH batteries which are also
common and easy to get. It is constructed of
machined aluminum and comes in black or titanium
anodized finish. It is longer than the MiniMag, but
smaller and weighs less than a common D cell flashlight.
I find it to be a great all around light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Tom

CraigF

Newly Enlightened

Agree that R. Nicholls are pretty decent, they have a store in Scarborough and IIRC Mississauga (never been to that one). There is no duty for importing flashlights from the U.S., but you will almost certainly have to pay taxes + the $5 handling fee, then there's the shipping $$ and the wait... Nicholls is pretty close to U.S. prices usually. But their SF 123s are more than double what they are in the U.S., though still about half what other 123s are in local stores, if you choose a 123 light.

And there's the Radio Shack 1W Luxeon lights, 2 of them, for $50-60 reg. price. They are actually not too bad, shorter but fatter than a Mini-Mag. I used the $60 123 one at work this week, I liked it, so did everyone else there. Very bright, equal or brighter to the similar 1W single cell models I've seen, so no lacking there. These are made by Nuwai I think, look like their models, RS price is about equivalent to their typical U.S. cost. Worth checking out if their size suits you.

ET

Newly Enlightened

Hey Chatbox, you took the suggestion from RFD me thinks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Well, glad you could join us over at CPF here.

A lot of suggestions so far about the Streamlight Twin Tasks and yes, I'll agree...it's great bang for the buck. I own a few myself and use them in the car. But if you really want to go all out, go Surefire.

I'd suggest going all out for a Surefire L4. The whiteness and the brightness will be like nothing you've ever seen before. Unfortunately, it's on the $$$ side. Check out the Buy, Sell, Trade area though. They've been popping up a lot recently.

The Surefire E2e was real popular when incandescents ruled the world. Still a pretty good light I have to say.

*Shameless plug*
I am selling my Surefire M3 if that interests you. PM me for info. I can give you a Torontonian insider deal and start you off on your addiction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14C

Enlightened

Elektro Lumens

Wayne just announced he's thinking of having more Blaster 3Ps done. I really like the Blaster Jr. I have given a couple away already.

I'll second the comment about the SureFire L4.

It all really depends on your needs and budget.

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened

Hey Chatbox from RFD! How's it going?

There's a member over here called Raymond (aka. wasabe64) who sells some flashlights. He has an ebay "store".

I bought an LEDxtreme Predator from him and picked it up from him in downtown Toronto. Nice guy and seems to know his stuff.

Other than that, I would have to say that your only bet in Toronto are the camping places... LeBaron, MEC, Europebound and the smaller shops. Thing is, they carry more of the consumer utilitarian stuff and not the esoteric stuff that so many here cRaVe.

Beretta92

Newly Enlightened

Hi, I would reccomend getting a Streamlight TL-2 Led, by far one of the brightest led's in it's class.

Chatbox

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
mudmojo said:
Hey Chatbox from RFD! How's it going?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey hey! Small world!

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened

As a fellow RFD'er, I am concerned about value for my money, meaning that I don't particularly mind paying less for a product and getting less as well as expecting much more quality when I pay more. I've taken that philosophy here.

This site helped me out quite nicely in getting a good understanding about relative value between the competition out there.
http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/

Check out the Luxeon Star reviews
http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/reviews/reviews_index_luxeon.htm

... and the host of beamshots/shootouts/comparisons at...
http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/tiptrick.htm

IMO, at a lower price point, Surefire products do not offer the same value/bang/performance for the buck as some of the others because I can't appreciate their fancy features.

Information is good so here's the link library... enjoy your stay here!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB16&Number=202843

Chatbox

Newly Enlightened

Thanks guys.

I went to R. Nicholls and got myself a SureFire E2e to start with. It's small, bright and quite a bit cheaper than some others. I think it'll serve me nicely as my first decent torch/flashlight.

ET

Newly Enlightened

Ah, excellent choice for a starter. You can add a KL1 LED lamp assembly or go for the KL4 which would pretty much turn it into an L4 if you also added the Z57 clickie tailcap.

In the incandescent mode, you have different lamp options such as the MN02 or the MN03. You can also put an MN01 in there but you have to find yourself a dummy lithium cell.

Your addiction begins...

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good selection!

E2e is very versatile. As ET said you can replace the 60 lumen lamp which runs for 75 minutes with the 25 lumen lamp which will run about 150 minutes or the KL1 1watt LED head or the KL4 5watt LED head which is 65 lumens and runs 90 minutes according to the Surefire 2004 catalog.

Incandescent for a bit more throw or LED for more up close flood.

GregR

Chatbox

Newly Enlightened

Will I need to change the bulb after awhile? I heard that some will not burn out....how about mine?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will you need to change the bulb? That depends on alot of factors. Some people here I can only believe are tough on bulbs and seem to have significantly more problems than others. I can tell you that we use E2e lights at work. Five of us at my site have been using them daily for about 18 months and five others at another worksite have been using them for about a year now, none of us have had a lamp failure.

ET

Newly Enlightened

Well, like anything, lamps do break over time. I recall something in the ballpark of 25 hours for Surefire incandescent lamps but don't quote me on that one. Keep in mind, certain conditions could decrease this (eg. You constantly drop it or run around with it). And when it does blow, you have to buy new ones. However, I've had lamps that I felt blew prematurely under normal use (after 30 minutes to 1 hour) and I contacted Surefire and they sent me new ones. I've blown out more due to stupidity (clumsy fingers, overdriving lamps with an extra lithium by accident). For those situations, I didn't call Surefire because it's considered abuse of the lamp.

However, with LED's, their normal lifespan is in the hundreds of hours. I recall something like 500 hours for the KL4 but again, don't quote me on that one. The good thing about Surefire LED's is the guarantee is really good. I once dropped my KL4 on my bathroom floor and Surefire still replaced it even though it could be considered abuse.

You should definitely check out the B/S/T forum and keep your eye out for a KL1 or a KL4. They're great add-ons for your E2e. It's my belief that LED's will soon replace incandescents in the general flashlight world. Incandescents will only be used in certain niche situations such as high-powered spotlights or when regular replacement is cheaper and preferred.