DragonHID versus TrailTech HID

Greymage

Enlightened
I wanted to get a 13-degree flood for my DragonHID 12 since it seems the 6-degree I currently have is good for long distance work, but not closeups.

Rather than spending $120 for a bulb at WA, or $47 at TrailTech, I decided to see what TrailTech's HIDs looked like - since they were only $99, I could get a replacement bulb and a new ballast for less than a new bulb from the WA site.

You can see pictures here.

The beamshots were with the TrailTech driven from a jumpstart battery, nominally 12V but measured at 13V (according to its internal meter).

What surprised me was that the colors are different - my DragonHID seems much whiter, even though the 6 and 13 degree bulbs are supposed to be the same color temperature. I really hope this doesn't mean my DragonHID is overdriven. Although, with the cost of a bulb less than $50 rather than $120 maybe I don't mind so much.

I didn't have my Light Cannon anymore, and so couldn't do direct comparisons with that, but from previous tests while it looks like the TrailTech is not quite up to the DragonHID, it still would be much brighter than the light cannon.

The downside of the TrailTech HID is that it uses the BN...002 ballast, which is for 10 NiMH applications, rather than the 008 ballast for 8 cells, or the 003 which says 11 but could probably do 12. Howver, I was able to ignite the TrailTech from 8AA NiMHs (freshly charged a couple of weeks ago then put in fridge), though this is way below the 12.8-13.2v rated voltage of the ballast and may reduce lamp life.

Edited: fixed typo

bmsmith

Enlightened
Cool comparison and nice pics. I must check Trailtech out again. When I visited their site last week I couldn't find plain HID bulbs for order, though. Did I miss them or do you have to call?
$99 for the whole assembly is a good price, I think. Might be fun to play with.
- Brian

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Greymage said:
I wanted to get a 3-degree flood for my DragonHID 12 since it seems the 6-degree I currently have is good for long distance work, but not closeups.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant to say 13 degree flood instead of 3-degree flood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nice post thanks for the info. I am missing my DragonHid already. Now contemplating picking up one of UFOs mini HID that run off 4x123a. Oh well, you live and learn.

thanks again.

Curtis

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you SO MUCH for this review Greymage! I'm really going to buy two of these when i have the money.

I'm gonna stick two of em on a metal rod, a dual level rocker switch, and a portable 12V battery pack. This is gonna be one awsome hiking light.

Greymage

Enlightened
I think you have to call them to get replacement lamps. I emailed their sales line and got this response:

We sell HID Light bulbs... 13 watt 6 degree and 13 watt 12 degree.
Part
numbers are as follows

HID-SP-R (6 degree)
HID-FL-R (12 degree)

Regards,

Evangeline
TrailTech Inc.

Tel: 360-687-4530

ScubaFan

Newly Enlightened
Hi Greymage,
Thanks for the info and great pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BTW have you tested the runtime of the Trailtech using 8 NiMH?

Apparently, Trailtech has a MR16 HID (18W I think) in the works and should be available in Q4. I was contemplating whether to get the Mini HID or to wait for the MR16 HID to play around with, but after your post I can't wait and decided to get them both. Mini HID now and the MR16 HID when it's available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks.

ScubaFan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Greymage

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ScubaFan said:
I can't wait and decided to get them both. Mini HID now and the MR16 HID when it's available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, that's a flashaholic all right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

I have not tested runtime on 8AA, but I'd guess somewhere around 90-100min on 2400 mAH cells (at 9.6v, ballast using 13w power, is about 1.35A).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
checked the trailtech vs. dragon - pics.
The trailtech looks bluish to me.
Same goes for the Light Cannon 100 I purchased for a little unfinished project.
Problem with the L-C light is, that it just does not draw enough current to run white. Even with much more than the 8 batteries --> no difference.
I even tried up to 12 batts in series; initial voltage of about 17 volts immediately drops below the requested 10.5 to 11 V (max) to have the ballast run in its optimum.

To change this I put a Linear Technology LT 1513 boost circuit (set for 10.7 Volts and some 1.2 Amps) between batteries and ballast.

Now the whole thing is much more in the white.
And the batteries can go from 5 to whatever pieces /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif(no time for final installation)

illumiGeek

Enlightened
My Light Cannon is nice and white running off of 8 x NiMh AA cells. On Alkaline C cells it is noticeably cooler (blue-white) indicating under drive (the 10W Solarc gets cooler when under-driven, and warmer when over-driven).

When compared side by side with any of my friend's Light Cannons (that are still running Alkalines) mine is both whiter and a bit brighter.