Magnetic poles switching?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
This was one of those things I read about in the National Enquirer back in the mid-1970s. Not only were the poles supposed to reverse, but the planet itself would change axes, so Anchorage AK. would be very close to the equator.

jtice

Flashaholic
I dont think the Earth actually changes it orintation,,,, I cant, we would ah,, be in trouble.
The poles DO which though, you can find proof of it in layers of the Earth, with lava formed rocks.

Not sure why it does this, or what real effect it has, but its wild, thats for sure.

Lasernerd

Enlightened
The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Sh
Africa is getting severe Sun radiation,,which occurs when the magnetosphere thins out in bands.
National Enquirer is hoopla!
This is recent happenings!
homing Pidgeons are getting lost.
I dont know about the Earth changing axes that sounds pretty lame!
Check out SOHO with the last years huge CME`s you can actually see the magnetosphere peeling back than bouncing back SOHO is real not hoopla!

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just watched a story on this. Throughout history, I think on average about every 600,000(I might be wrong) years the magnetic structure of the earth reverses. It doesn't just flip, It slowly changes and the magnetic fields over the Earths surface become very unusual. Right now we are due for another change. On average this change will probably take 100,000 years. In some parts of the world, I think we might already be seeing slight signs this is beginning to happen.

Greymage

Enlightened
Oh please, this is just more tabloid stuff from the people who brought you global warming and evolution.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Nope, its crazy, but true.
Slow process though, so the change will be sutle,
not sure what effects we will see, but there will be some.

JOshooter

Enlightened
Thanks guys!! Until now I couldn't figure out why the metal plate in my head was acting up!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Magnetic poles indeed shift their position. This part is true and it occurs through geologic time. The tabloid stuff is that it'll happen overnight (it won't!).

So, for those who like to learn the facts instead of reading "The Quibbler":
1. This website is a great basic reference on how our planet's magnetic field comes to be and how it behaves. Great links towards the bottom of the page.
2. Canada's Geomagnetic field lab
3. A news release from CNN.

BTW, global warming is a real natural phenomenon. Current debate has shifted away from "is it real" to "what should we do about it". The latter is what gets people all worked up because of all the socioeconomic and political implications. There is a (closed now) thread in The Cafe on this topic, if people want to check it out.