What kind of bulb can I use to make a BIG spot?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to make a REALLY powerful spotlight. I also want to do this relatively cheap, so that rules out HID. I have a large battery pack that I made with a 17 amp hour SLA battery. It also has a built in 800 watt power inverter. I want to be able to use this as a power source. What kind of bulb could I use? I would prefer some kind of sealed beam. Needs to be either 12v OR 120v AC. (up to 800 watts) Run time isn't important, as long as it's more than a couple minutes.

Anybody know of a bulb I could use for this?

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well look on eBay and search for "Landing Light." You'll find some bulbs, mostly from GE, that are for airplane landing lights.

Most of them operate at 28V but there are a few of them that run at 12V. There was one model i saw last week that runs at 12V at 450W! Hook up a hefty SLA battery and you've got yourself one hell of a spotlight. The bulb is a sealed bulb with an integrated reflector. The reflectors have got to be at least 6"-10" in diameter.

Have you seen "The Sleeper" made by Crossman? It uses a 28V 600W bulb. It is overdriven to 32V i think. It blows away any HID light out there right now. I think it is equvilant to maybe 3-4 HID lights. It is amazing!

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LEDagent said:
Have you seen "The Sleeper" made by Crossman? It uses a 28V 600W bulb. It is overdriven to 32V i think. It blows away any HID light out there right now. I think it is equvilant to maybe 3-4 HID lights. It is amazing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I saw that, that's partially why I'm asking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I couldn't find any landing lights on ebay that were over 100 watts @ 13v. Got a link to any brighter ones?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also strength in numbers.
Maybe a set of 4-8 small highbeam headlights, off road lights, foglights, at 55-100+ watts a piece from a salvage yard will do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
With a bit of work and you could walk out of the junkyard with everything you need for real cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Most wrecking yards have been flashoholics' bargain bins for some time now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Maybe pay one a visit, and take your imagination and a multi-bit screwdriver with you.
Good luck.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be cool on the front of my truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif How many watts do you think one of the 600 watt 28v versions would do if fed 24v? The $40 bulb would last longer that way too...

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say big spot do you mean like in a wide flood to light a large area with very little to no hot spot? How far do you need it to throw?

Later
Sway

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sway said:
When you say big spot do you mean like in a wide flood to light a large area with very little to no hot spot? How far do you need it to throw?

Later
Sway

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking for mostly spot, although it doesn't make much difference, I really don't have any particular use for this light. I just want something extremely bright that will scare my drunk friends while I'm camping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm thinking I'll probably go with the landing light, and two 17AH SLA batteries for 24v. How many watts do you guys think a 600 watt, 28v bulb will pull with 24v? (probably more like 22v under that much load)

What type of electrical connection do these bulbs use?

Crosman451

Newly Enlightened
If your going to use the 4559X GE aircraft landing lamp, 28V - 600W it will need at least a minimum of 28V to opperate. Your batteries will need to be able to handle a 22A draw and still remain at 28V or above.

Something else to consider, the wire, switch and or relay, connectors, etc. all need to be able to handle this current.

Looking forward to seeing what you build! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Crosman451 said:
If your going to use the 4559X GE aircraft landing lamp, 28V - 600W it will need at least a minimum of 28V to opperate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that? Even if the airplane's electrical system is 28v, I can't imagine the full 28v would find it's way to the bulb...especially when it's pulling 22+ amps.

Anybody have any ideas what I could put this thing in without having somthing machined?

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest something made of metal to prevent melt down an off road driving light head should work if you can find the proper size.

Crosman451

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BatteryCharger said:
[ QUOTE ]
Crosman451 said:
If your going to use the 4559X GE aircraft landing lamp, 28V - 600W it will need at least a minimum of 28V to opperate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that? Even if the airplane's electrical system is 28v, I can't imagine the full 28v would find it's way to the bulb...especially when it's pulling 22+ amps.

Anybody have any ideas what I could put this thing in without having somthing machined?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I do believe that, on commercial aircraft such as Boeing 737 and Airbus A319, the landing lamp does receive 28V and operates at 22A. In testing this GE 4559X lamp on the bench, it would not light at less than 28 volts.

I chose aluminum for the head because of it's heat conductive properties, strength and lightness. Wanted to used a lighter material but the aluminum was a do-able /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif for me anyways, as other more exotic materials.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it wouldn't light at all under 28v? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif That's strange. I guess on a 747 the lights should have the full 28v, but the ones I'm looking at on ebay all say they're for Cesna's. I wouldn't think the wiring in a 30 year old Cesna would be quite as good as a 747... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well, if it doesn't work I guess I'll just have to add another battery.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big light, big filament.... I guess it's just like LEDs in this case. If you can't push the required minimum voltage needed to make it light...then it won't light at all.

I'm sure these big GE bulbs can handle a little overdriving. Crossman is pushing his at about 32V i think. THe big problem is finding a suitable battery to power one of these bulbs. I wonder if the bulb can handle 3 12V SLA batteries. THat'll give you 36V of power to the bulb.