Help with router for internet

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got DSL and bought a router so I can use my desktop and laptop. When both are plugged in they tell me there is an IP conflict and neither works. But both work fine when the other is not plugged in.
Any idea's?

Thanks
JT

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that the router is assigning both of the computers the same IP address. Find out your default IP for your router here and type it into your browser address box.

I would check those settings and it might be obvious what the problem is from that. Make sure the router can assign more than one IP address.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, it should be 192.168.1.1 but when I enter it all I get is "Page cannot be displayed"?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:
Hmmm, it should be 192.168.1.1 but when I enter it all I get is "Page cannot be displayed"?

[/ QUOTE ]

The router itself has an IP address on the same network segment as your machines, sooooo...
Router - 192.168.1.1
1st machine 192.168.1.2
2nd machine 192.168.1.3
(lather and repeat)

Methinks that either the PCs are not set up for DHCP (obtain IP address automatically) and/or the router isn't set up to offer DHCP to the machines.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
pokkuhlag said:
try 10.0.0.2, that's my router's ip :p.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, depends on the router and sometimes the ISP. 10.0.0.x is popular as well as 192.168.x.x

14C

Enlightened
Try 192.168.0.1 to get to the router main config page.

Make sure the TCP/IP properties in "Local Are Network Connection/General/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" are set to:

"Obtain an IP address automatically"
and
"Obtain DNS server address automativally"

on both computers.

This will allow the router to serve up a DHCP leased IP Address to both systems from it's pool. It's smart enough to give separate addresses.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my linksys is 192.168.1.1. also make sure ya change ya password dont leave the defaught one

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
my linksys is 192.168.1.1. also make sure ya change ya password dont leave the defaught one

[/ QUOTE ]

I also change the default address range on the internal network, and if I really wanna lock out others I'll set up a really tight subnet mask (/30) or something like that.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use MAC clone address filtering and disabled my SSID broadcast. I tried encryption, but have never had good luck with a stable connection using WEP. I would try WPA, but one of my components doesn't support it. Like PhotonWrangler, I changed the address range (my first computer is not at 192.168.1.2).

Latest posts