Leatherman Charge Ti, any available?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heard the leatherman Charge Ti is hitting the streets, I need three of them and wonder were I can purchase the multi-tool?

The last I heard, they will be shipping the 1st of August (today) and I found one place that claims to have them in stock. The price is $99.90 each but I was wondering if anyone has spotted them in stock and a bit lower price. The two places that had them in the $85 range would not have them available until October. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If anyone knows, let me know...if you have one now, can you give your thoughts on Leatherman's latest?

JML

Enlightened
I just saw them yesterday, in a mall at The Sharper Image ($129, I think) and Eastern Mountain Sports ($119). I posted a longer note on two knife forums, but the short version is that the handle is great, but the pivot tension and the main blade leave something to be desired.

I played with three samples of the Ti (they're shipped in sealed clamshells, unfortunately). The grind on the 154CM main blade was pretty bad on all three I could check out -- uneven, curvey, and not easily fixed. And the thumbhole for that main blade was really sharp -- enough to abrade my thumb. These were the worst looking main blades I've ever seen on a Leatherman. These might be early production glitches. I hope so, anyway.

I'm going to wait, and hope I can check out the one I get before leaving the store.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys,
Sniffed around the net and found a source that had them in stock. Ordered 4 of them for the guys at work, I hope to see them by the end of the week. I guess I can throw up a review.

Phil_B

Enlightened
FYI guys,I just ordered one from www.backcountryequipment.com. Cost was $99 plus shipping to the UK at only $10. You chaps in the US get free shipping from this shop for sales over $50 IIRC.
Bought a compass there last week,landed at my door just FOUR days later. That's quicker than our local mail!
I ordered the XTi,so maybe we should compare notes later.HTH,Phil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chooch

Newly Enlightened
Phil,

Thanks for the link. I just ordered the Ti. I get a lot of use from the scissors so I chose the Ti.

Herman

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I got two XTi 's earlier this week.
I got them from http://www.cases4less.com
$99 ea with free shipping (thru 8/13/04)
My EDC was a WAVE for past few years. Im totin' the XTi in an evaluation mode.
Better design than the Wave, believe it or not!
Everything locks into place during use, not just the blades.
XTi has no scissors but has an extra "socket" for bits. So you carry 2 double-ended bits of your choice and they supply about 8. The serrated blade on the XTi is different in that it is hooked on the top side like a skinning blade.
The plier jaw on the Ti is same as a Wave. The XTi is a little narrower and has a crimper built in.
When open, the outside edge of the handles has a 8" & 20cm ruler on it
Weight and size are about the same as a Wave.
The XTi and Ti look a lot cooler to me though.
IMHO YMMV EEOP FDIC NYPD USMC E-I-E-I-O
The Micro screwdriver is outstanding!