Miracle Blade and Showtime Knife - Load of crap?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Are these knives really as good as they say they are? Do they really come as sharp as they do? Can they really cut a hammer in half? The Showtime Knives are only $40 for 21 knives...but they say that it's $850 worth of knives.

The Miracle Blades are also $40, but with only 10 knives.

Is this all a load of crap or are the knives actually good knives? Does anybody here have real-time experience with them?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Miracle Blade and Showtime Knife - Anybody have th

sounds like ginsu to me. i get myknifes ta dolor store and they have a few that looks like em and there only 1 buck.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's the trick:

They are serrated. The tips of the serration can grind on the hammer. When they cut the tomato afterwards, they are using the scalloped part of the serrations that never touched the hammer.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Ask yourself this:

If they were really as SUPER sharp and durable as the commercials say, people in the construction field would use them instead of hacksaws/concrete saws/etc.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

They flex like nobodys business, which IMHO they should be. The serrated concept is sound, but these are really thin and too lightweight.

I'd stack a whole set of these against one Wusthof Trident Suntuko.

And, yes, you do often get what you pay for.

-(a different) Craig

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one of the "miracle workers" from the late 60s or early 70s and it is my tomato knife and any other acidic foods like limes for margaritas. The serrations stay sharp for an incredible amount of time, and can be resharpened easily.It's not a chopping knife but it will cut through almost any frozen product quickly. The construction shows its cheap components but the blade its self is the real deal, its very flexible but I doubt it will function as a fillet knife very well. Oh and I have cut cans in two using it, it doesn't care if its aluminum or tomato it cuts both equally well, I have no need to cut concrete blocks or bricks , they need to cook for incredible amounts of time to make them palatible and cutting them just makes too much dust.

iddibhai

Enlightened

how would you sharpen serrations easily?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mircle Blades would be a bear to sharpen.

For other serrated blades, I use a Lansky hone for serrated edges, or a pocket-sized, handheld sharpener made for serrations. I've got a couple of 'em.

-(a different) Craig

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most household kitchens contain not even one knife that is really sharp. That is because most people don't know how to sharpen a knife and also don't have anything to sharpen with that is effective.

When people use my kitchen knives they always make a comment on how beautifully they cut. I have a set of Wusthof Trident knives and I sharpen them when necessary. They take a good edge and hold it. I store them in a block.

You don't need 21 knives either. Three should do it. A good 8 inch chef's knife, a paring knife and a serrated knife 4 or 5 inches long will cover just about everything most people need a knife for in the kitchen. Also, cut on wood or poly, not glass or ceramic. That will preserve your edge.

Stay away from "miracle" knives and remember that no knife is a good knife once it has gone dull and you have no means to resharpen it.