Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpener - Any good?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I'm sorta interested in this sharpener. And it's a good $15 cheaper than the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Does anybody have it? Is it easy to use? Did you get good results? Thanks.

chrisse242

Enlightened
Very good, I get good results with a lansky standard (only three stones). When needing better results, you can wrap very fine sandpaper around one of the stones and use it like you normally would. Blades probably won't get sharp enough for shaving the hair of your Arm, but that's the same with every Stone. You will get better results with bench-stones (if that is the english word), and some practicing, but with the lansky, practice isn't needed.
The only drawback appears when it comes to larger (longer) knifes. You may have to move the blade-holder on the blade to get the right angle over the whole length.
Buy it!

Chrisse

ubermensch

Enlightened
This is the same setup that I use, and it can get knives sharp enough to shave with. And it is very easy to use, as long as you don't have any serrated blades.

cy

Flashaholic
I've been using a lansky sharpener for a long time. I use it to set the angle of the blade.

From then on, I free hand to touch up lightly to razor.

drawbacks to using a lansky are:

1. knife edge angle is almost not repeatable, due to dificuties of placing clamp in exactly the same position on the blade.
2. the edge produced is a compromise as tip radius rarely is perfect.
3. it's almost impossible to sharpen a long blade due to changing radius and the resulting arc changes. You will not be able to maintain the exact same angle all the way across.

The advantages are you are able to maintain the exact same angle for the entire sharpening session. From course to ark whiterock. maintaining the exact angle allows someone with no sharpening skills to quickly end up with an edge close to razor sharp. I say close because the last steps, require stropping with leather to rid the minute curl.

Even with all the shortcomings, I highly recommend this sharpener. I've been hearing about the sharpsmaker for sometime. I would get one, but my knives are already razor.

There are no secrets to sharpening a knife freehand. You simply must hold your angle when sharpening. very easy to say, tons dificult to do.

My technique is to lock the wrist. use the elbow to pivot against. This method allows me to hold my angle as I sharpen. your mileagle may veri.

J_Oei

Enlightened
Look into the Apex EdgePro.

I am a butcher of fine hardwoods, but I do it more for therapy rather than furniture (at least that is what I tell my wife!)

The EdgePro was the only thing that could get my plane blades and chisels to get a decent edge. I tried a Lansky system, various sharpening jigs, the ScarySharp method (with various grits of sandpaper on a glass block, Arkansas stones and even Japanese water stones, and nothing comes close to the Apex.

I probably spend more money on sharp metal objects than I do on flashlights, but I am trying!!!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to have an EdgePro, but for still much less money I've even got diamond hones for my Lansky. As for the repeatability of the angles, I find that if I start from coarse stones and work up from there (and you don't need to use the coarse stones for too many strokes), it doesn't make a whole lot of difference for me. Doesn't take off too much metal either.

The Lansky is pretty easy to use, but isn't conveniently portable in that there are several parts to the kit. However, if you are a member of the I-just-can't-get-the-muscle-memory-thing-to-work-right club (a.k.a. -- free hand sharpening on a stone ain't our thing), buy a Lansky. Are there better methods? Probably, but it's still a quick and inexpensive way to go. It works for me. It'll work for you.

-(a different) Craig

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey - i got a lansky and its the best sharpener i have ever used (not that i have used to many) - all my knives are razor sharp now, just need to get the serrated stone to touch up my serrated blades.

bigcozy

Enlightened
I never have been able to use my Lansky, I just send em back to the factory to have them sharpened. I would cut you a good deal on mine.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bigcozy -- what gives you trouble? Most people having trouble can't figure out what angle to use or have knives too big for the rig.

Maybe you can get help using it.

-(a different) Craig

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bigcozy said:
I never have been able to use my Lansky, I just send em back to the factory to have them sharpened. I would cut you a good deal on mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't bought mine yet, so PM sent.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Spyderco is a more practical system and worth the extra money. They both have pros and cons, of course, but I really swear by my Spyderco.

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
The Spyderco rig with the ultra fine rods (an extra $20 shipped from New Graham) produces *incredibly* sharp blades. It does require some skill to achieve those kind of results, mainly in reading the condition of the edge and deciding what to do with it, but it's fast to learn and mostly in the internet sharpening FAQ.

Recommended.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the yellow 1000 grit extra fine hone and the blue sapphire hone to finish my edges after using the diamond hones and the results are great!

-(a different) Craig

Latest posts