• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired looking for longest throwing led light

FBA

Newly Enlightened
hi everyone,i'm looking for a long throwing led light.i have a M6 , but looking for better one. from the flashlight review , i saw LedXtreme Predator has a better throw , plus it is regulated.been browsing for some time and end up got my self confuse with so many user modified lights.my choice is
1)regulated
2)runtime 1hr
3)small size like E2e
4)running on 2 CR123( great if could run on Pilas)
5)looking for spot not flood ( a bit of flood maybe)

any kind soul would like to help me on these . thks for looking & thks in advance.

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
I would think that there's a production model out there somewhere that will easily outthrow a Predator.

I used that flashlight reviews page to guide my search for an LED light too and ended up with the Predator myself.

The throw is really quite nice and the beam is nice and white with a tinge of purple and a near perfect beam pattern. There isn't much sidespill though and the total amount of light outputted in that flashlight reviews page reflects that.

If you're looking for a modded LED light then a nice 3W Luxeon Star mod with the requisite parts should be exactly what the luminosity doctor ordered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FBA

Newly Enlightened
thks a lot mudmojo for the info . i guess Predator is out of the picture, huh. hmm.. i donno if a M6 drop in can suit my choice.waiting for any kind soul for advice on these.
thks again

FBA

Newly Enlightened
i think it wil be pricy, but if the light meets my requirement , i'll gladly pay for the quality of this masterpiece produce by you experts out there.
thks.

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
From your requirements in first post, the best advice I can come with would be a Mc Module setup: a 3W T-bin + Downboy 750mA (heck I think even set to 1A regulation it would still easily give you 1 hour of regulation, and then direct drive drain the batteries from there!)+ cut-down 30mm optic.
You could easily choose to use 2 x CR123s or 1 PILA. Assuming you're talking about upgrading your Pelican M6 LED though, I'm not sure if the body/Lamp Assembly is the same as the Xenon version... it might require you additional machining for a screw-in module? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
I have yet to see a better throw for the size than a 30mm optic on a single die LED... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

balrog

Enlightened
FBA, I've never seen an M6 other than on the SF website so I'm not sure how good the throw is on that. As it turns out I am after the same thing you are. I have a 2D Maglite modified with a Luxeon III, downboy 1333 that runs on 6 NiMHs and has a very tight hotspot of over 10,000 lux at 1 metre. Although it meets requirements 1, 2 & 5 it does not meet 3 & 4.

I am actually after exactly the same thing as you and have not found anything that meets the requirements. If I can't find anything I just might make something. If so, I'll let you know.

I would imagine that McGizmo's Aleph 2 (or is it 3, you can't tell since he can't count to 3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) with it's 38mm reflector ought to be quite good and I am definitely getting a few when they become available on the sandwich shoppe. Unfortunately if you want a tighter hotspot it needs a larger reflector, and hence a larger flashlight head. I assume that an overdriven Lux III could get up to around the 6000 lux per metre mark with the Aleph 2 but if you really want to get beyond 10000 lux you need something of the ilk of the Maglite's 52mm reflector, or bigger.

Perhaps consider the VIP with BBH (big bulk head). I think this will have around a 3" reflector on a flashlight that runs on a single CR123 and produces around 10,000 lux at 1 metre.

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
OUps! reading Balrog's post I just realized you mentioned a Surefire M6, not a Pelican M6, which is a big difference... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Annyways, we are still waiting for McGizmo's next creation, but for the time being, I still stand behind my choice for the Pelican M6 + Mc Module setup! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

cy

Flashaholic
The current throw king for a small LED light is L1-PR-T 917. Way out-throws VIP w/BH. If you are fortunate enough to find one ($250), you will find out why it's consider the Porshe of lights. Don made a statement that he thought they were the finest lights he had ever put together.

I believe he stopped making those due to cost of material (L1 surefire light) took too long to make (the quality of work done is incredible).

Look on B/S/T, they do come up. post a WTB.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
The current throw king for a small LED light is L1-PR-T 917. Way out-throws VIP w/BH. If you are fortunate enough to find one ($250), you will find out why it's consider the Porshe of lights. Don made a statement that he thought they were the finest lights he had ever put together.

I believe he stopped making those due to cost of material (L1 surefire light) took too long to make (the quality of work done is incredible).

Look on B/S/T, they do come up. post a WTB.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's one that's just been taken here

I can attest to the quality of this light as I have one too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

balrog

Enlightened
I think that an E2e + McLux PR-T + DB917 + McE2S tailcap does the same job as a the above L1-PR-T 917, but is a bit cheaper to get your hands on.

dabiscake, I think you are correct and he did mean a Pelican M6. I guess only FBA can tell us for sure.

FBA

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys ,
just came back from work....

mudmojo,Cyril,dabiscake,balrog,cy.. thk u guys for the info.
yup , dabiscake is right , mine is a Pelican M6 not SF M6.sorry balrog,i shoulb be more specific next time.

Cyril, i would luv to see the Predator but would pass it since it is beaten .
a 2D mag with Lux lll or VIP with BBH is too big for me.
of course these light have very good throw ,i believe.

a 3 watt T-Bin + DB750 , E2e+ Mclux PR-T + DB917 + McE2s and L1PR-T 917 does sounds great.yeah i came across these lights on tne forum but not sure which has the better throw.
i'm not technically incline, so i prefer to buy a ready made light. would luv to try though.
thks again. besides those 3 lights mention , any experts out there with different opinion?

FBA

Newly Enlightened
oh balrog, yup, if u came up with something good , please do let me know.in the mean time , me still reading and searching.
thk u guys.appreciate it.

albert

Enlightened
If you like to see, i do have quite a few "throw monsters" using 2x123 and 3x123. Can SMS me to arrange for viewing.

Nine Seven Four Seven Three Three Three One...

FBA

Newly Enlightened
hi, you guys dont sleep either, huh.
yup, Cyril, it is gone .saw it juz now. thks anyway.appreciate it.
Albert, what monster throwing light do you have ?

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
so, FBA, did you check if your Pelican M6 LED has a Lamp assembly that screws on the body... meaning, are there threads you could use to screw in a custom Mc Module?

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you are looking for a McLux Pelican reflector Head with a 917 Down Boy Converter and a Lux III. Put it atop an E2e body and you are good 2 go with 2 xcr123a or Pila 168a. Buy one of McGizmo's McE2s tailcap for a two brightness level light. You can post a want in modified B/S/T section for the McLux PR 917 Lux III head. I'm sure someone has an extra or a modder would make one for you.

Then get a hold of a Hotlips heat sink and direct drive a Luxeon III in a three cell m@glite.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the direction seems to be one of the following:

1) the PR-T 917 setup
2) the upcoming Aleph system with appropriate head Mc27 or Mc38
3) the VIP with BH and BBH
4) the upcoming Lionheat.

Man, that would be an awesome shootout for ultimate supremecy and utility.

Curtis

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FBA said:
hi, you guys dont sleep either, huh.
yup, Cyril, it is gone .saw it juz now. thks anyway.appreciate it.
Albert, what monster throwing light do you have ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you could get this e2D PR-T 917 instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but better be quick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I can attest to the quality of this light as I have one too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif