to Yukon or not to Yukon???

SuPerScoTT

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a headlamp for adventure racing, I have identified the PT Yukon HL as a possibility.

I have however read a few posts about some technical intensity burn duration issue or something...

I need a headlamp that is durable, provides both low light for trekking and map reading etc. and high intensity light to identify terrain features etc. in the distance. This headlamp must also provide a lengthy burn time in both modes.

Any suggestions? I also saw the Petzl Myo 5... I would appreciate some expert advice as this search for the "ultimate" light is driving me mad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to check out the Black Diamond Supernova. It has 2 leds and an incan both with 3 light levels each, and all regulated for constant brightness. It's sturdy, and even has a backup cell to power the leds should your main cells die.

SuPerScoTT

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Phaser

How would the max range of the Supernova compare to the Yukon HL?

What about battery life and burn times?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The range is comparable. Neither is going to blow you away like a high powered incan or 5W led light. The led in the Yukon is whiter, of course, but I like the warm glow of incan, too. Burn times are located in the sales info for both lights.

I had an HL and sent it back. It performed very well, but I didn't like the fact that the 3 5mm leds drew the same current from the batteries as the 1W lux did. That being the case, why bother?

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Super
We also do AR. In the end we settled on using two types - the PT Matrix 2 - for most applications where you require your hands - ropework, paddling, map reading on the bike. We keep the light in our hands when running/trekking etc. Gives better depth perception - less ankle sprains etc. The light is to bright for close-up map work - you have to shine it at angle or partially shield it.
We also use the original Arc LS with the 2AA turn-on pack. For races where you might need to identify a trail or route option at night, we just carry one Surefire 6P along.

mrme

Enlightened
I don't know how serious you are about seeing far away features, but the Yukon does not focus. Black Diamond headlamps have some focusing ability, but not nearly as much as the Petzl lights do. The Petzl Myo is your best bet for a good focusing compact light. I hate their switching mechanism, thought.

My favorite are the Black Diamond lights, but their textured reflectors make seeing distant objects difficult. They work really well for close viewing, though, which is what I use the most.

PT lights tend to be more water resistant than Petzl, which are more water resistant than BD. I don't think any of theses headlamps are submersible, though.

Realize that all of these lights have small reflectors. When humdity gets high, a high intensity beam will reflect right back into your eyes. I never use the 700 ma bulb in my BD Gemeni, but can see better with the 500 ma bulb for this reason.