Best Underwater Light?

thevirusunknown

Newly Enlightened
I looked around and didn't see any comparisons with this in mind. I'm looking for the best value, under $50. And it has to be rated for at least 20 ft /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I assume its probably a UK light, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them, thanks.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good morning virus...never thought I'd be saying THAT. Anyway...the Pelican Super PeliLite 2C and Super SabreLite 3C are less than $25. They are dive rated and have very tight beams. Out of the water they have good throw due to their tightly focused beams.

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
Any of the UK Sunlight series would meet your criteria, but would be on the slightly larger side. You might want to consider the Princeton Tec Surge.

juancho

Enlightened
Definetly the Princeton Tec SURGE, at 115 lumen is much superior to other lights in this price range (25-27 dollars)
and if you want to use only 4 AA batteries it will float!!
Juan C.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interested in this?

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
small.jpg

Here are some beam shots at 3 feet & 10 feet.
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Tested waterproof to at least 20 metres/ 65 feet & only US$23.

thevirusunknown

Newly Enlightened
Jayflash - I'm thinking about getting the super saberlight, any experience with it yourself?

ChopperCFI and juancho - I actually bought my dad the Surge for fathers day and its great but, I would like to try a different light for myself. Perhaps with a bit longer runtime than Surge.

flashlight - Looks cool! Who makes/sells it? And what type of LED?

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
thevirusunknown said:
Jayflash - I'm thinking about getting the super saberlight, any experience with it yourself?

ChopperCFI and juancho - I actually bought my dad the Surge for fathers day and its great but, I would like to try a different light for myself. Perhaps with a bit longer runtime than Surge.

flashlight - Looks cool! Who makes/sells it? And what type of LED?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's made in Taiwan, uses 3x 12000mcd White LEDs & a tri-lens optic to focus the beam. Let me know if you want to get one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My, older, Super SabreLite has a xenon lamp. It gives several hours of run time because it draws less than an amp from the C cells. I've gone snorkeling with it and was satisfied with its performance. There may be newer, better, LED type lights available now, but for the price, size, and throw, I'm happy with the Pelican.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
UKE SL4 is small, very powerful and was highly rated in a dive magazine comparison review a couple of years ago. They even said it could be used as a primary light in a pinch.

** UKE SL 4 (PAGE) **

uksl4y.jpg

Brightnorm

nhppon

Newly Enlightened
Ikelite Pca. It uses 6AA, very bright and small size the price is around 25-30$. (I cannot remember the depth rating)

brightspark

Newly Enlightened
Maybe my reply would be more appropriate under the heading of "NOT the best underwater light".
I recently went Scuba diving off the west coast of Ireland and thought it would be an ideal time to test my Inova X5 which states on the packaging "waterproof to 150'", - it wasn't. I took it to 22.4m max and it flooded, when I got to the surface and opened it the brown goo poured out and left it so the barrel was corroded and the tail switch discoloured/corroded. Amazingly after I left it soaking in fresh water overnight then drying and putting fresh batteries in - it worked. So, NOT waterproof - but resilient.
Haven't had a reply yet from Emmissive Energy Corps yet regarding their 150' statement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

thevirusunknown

Newly Enlightened
Right now I am looking at the UKE SL4 as the light I may purchase. If anyone has any points as to what light I should buy over the SL4, please tell me. I have till thursday, which is when I get paid and the time I would like to make my purchase.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what the best for your pricepoint is however I personally don't like to make repeat purchases and would make sure the light I bought has a good track reliability record underwater.

Azreal911

Enlightened
Oh yeah and for diving purposes i find they like the pencil thin beam over a wide beam. Something with the way light works under water so the pelicans would be a great candidate. If you are thinking about the super sabre light try the LED version at least then the bulb will be one less thing to worry about and it's a very tight beam when used, just like the other pelicans.

thevirusunknown

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if the UK SL4 is brighter than the Ikelite Pca? I assume it is, considering the UK claims to have a runtime of 4-5 hours, where the Ikelite only claims 1.5-2. And the Ikelite's bulb is a bit higher wattage.

flashlite

Enlightened
I just got the PT 40 and I love it. For its size, it's super bright (28 lumens). It takes 4 AA batteries and best of all, it takes a PR type bulb, so the bulb can be quickly and easily replaced at RS etc. With the standard halogen bulb, run times are between 3-5 hours but there is a dimmer, longer running bulb option. Some places on the web say the PT 40 is rated to 2000 ft. but I think the packaging says something like 200-300 ft. The light comes standard with a textured wide beam reflector but I believe you can get a narrow beam reflector for it. The PT 40 sells for about $15.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the SL4 and SL6 they have been great lights and very reliable. I had a Surge flood on me on it's first dive. I own six UK products and all have worked flawlessly on many many dives.

thevirusunknown

Newly Enlightened
Thats what I've heard about the twist on flashlights in general, that they can flood easily. Is the SL6 worth the extra money for a brighter light but same runtime?

Oh and, I'm from GR as well! Whereabouts are you in the city?

Deanster

Enlightened
I'm the happy owner of a half-dozen Pelican dive lights, and the Super Sabrelight is my preferred mid-size dive light. Rock-solid construction, long runtime, easy-to-find batteries, etc. are all winners, as is the shocking yellow color and ~$30 price tag. I use these on my boat, and occasionally as a dive light.

If you like 'em a little smaller, the Pelican Stealthlight is a nice 4AA pencil-beam light with an external switch. One goes diving with me every time I'm in the water.

Interestingly, I find that the twist-head lights are LESS likely to flood than most switched lights - even switched lights have a removable bezel, PLUS a switch, giving more possible points of failure. Every flooded light I've ever seen flooded at the switch, or was a product of a user trying to turn it on by unscrewing the bezel (another gift to society from the Mini Mag) and opening the light underwater.

Might help us narrow down the field if you shared a bit more about your needs?

Latest posts