GENERAL USE HANDHELD FLASHLIGHT

UWAK

Enlightened
Hello guys... I'm new here, I'm not even a flashaholic (... yet), I'm just a man who thought that an illumination tool is an important tool such as a multiplier or a small size folding knife I carried on a regular basis.
So in my very limited knowledge, I want to know your opinion on my need of a general use handheld flashlight, and the options is:
1. Longbow MICRA
2. LedXtreme PREDATOR (weight isn't an issue here OK!)
3. Pelican M6 LED
As you can see those light are in the same price range. And your comments based on your experience with such flashlights. I mean the light quality, runtime, and brightness. Please give me some insights on this... THX a lot

Frids

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey Frids, welcome to CPF and why dontcha stay awhile!!

A light is absolutely a necessary EDC, with a multitool and folder! But, you knew you'd get that here!

I'd say those three lights are very different, as the Longbow is quite small, the Predator is quite large and expensive, and the Pelican rather inexpensive.

Speaking broadly, I'd think a general use flashlight would be for around the home use, perhaps under the hood or under the bed. For that, I'd use a Streamlight TwinTask 2L or the Inova X5T. Not expensive, good flood, not meant for throw in the case of the X5T, and LED/xenon in the TT.

That said, the Pelican is my favorite of the three you are considering. It's really bright, well made and not too expensive on the wallet. It has a lot of throw, and may not be the best for close-up work where you want flood.

The Micra is much more elegant, small and more pocketable, and twice the price. It's something to consider if you are looking at the Arc4+ or the Firefly, for example -- a small, light 1x123 EDC.

I've never used a Predator so I have nothing to say on it, except is looks unnecessarily large for what it is, and it seems bright. But read and search around the forum, and you may get some other ideas, like the Streamlight Jr, or a Surefire L2, or a Princeton Tec Impact XL, or an ElektroLumens, to name a few.

welcome again, UWAK!
daloosh

UWAK

Enlightened
Thx for you replies daloosh, the reason I left too soon is that I was in the internet service that day (my comp. is not connected to the internet) so the last thing before I went back home is to post my thread. I hope you understand this.
I have an X5T, but I really like the Micra and Pelican M6, although the outer performance of the Predator is very tempting, hope someone who own the Predator will join to help me. But your replies is very helpful and insightful, I am sure I will enjoy this forums with all the great guys just like you daloosh.

Thx again and GOD bless U.

FRIDS

UWAK

Enlightened
Hi daloosh I see that u have the elektrolumens XM2, I want to know how you "feel" this light, and how you overcome the minor gripes I've read somewhere else?
THX.
FRIDS

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd second the vote for a Streamlight Twin Task 2L as a good general purpose flashlight. You get 3 LED's and one Xenon bulb. The LED's are plenty of light for walking the dog at night type of thing. The Xenon gives you a little more throw and is a little brighter. If your Xenon blows, you still have the LED's, nice to have redundancy in one light.
I find I use the LED's for most stuff and I get long runtimes too. The batteries will last a long time without being used so they fit in well as a glove compartment light. The batteries also tolerate temperature extremes like you get in a car. It is not a "flame thrower", but it's a good general light for $29.00 from Brightguy.

Last year I bought six of them, one for each vehicle, one for the house, one for my mom and one for my sister and one for her boyfriend. I picked up extra xenon's for everyone. I also gave them all extra batteries with instructions to get more from me if they needed them.

I also have an XM-2, I like it (at least I like the one I got). I did the Garrity switch change and am happy with it. I know it's got quite a bit of bad press, but I really like mine. I ran mine for 1 1/2 hours straight. Sure, it lost a bunch of brightness and throw after 20 minutes. But even after 1 1/2 hours I had plenty of light (much more than my Infinity Ultra-G or Arc AAA). I am going to wait until tonight to run it the rest of the way down and see where it eventually puts out useless light.

Mike

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey Frids

I have two XM-2s and one was great, the second sucked until I sent it back to Wayne, who to his credit, made it good. But it was troubling that the quality control was so inconsistent. And I have not done the Garrity mod, which I probably would like, but I'm aghast that I have to put more money into it to make it better. (On the other hand, I'm not batting an eye when I consider $50 for a McE2S tailcap)

So while I like the XM-2, the gamble isn't worth it. I do use it to suck batteries dry like the X5T. And it has a place in my heart because they are made in the town where my dad comes from.

I'm not impressed with the runtime graphs on the Micra, but it's a nice light. I don't own a Pelican PM6 LED, but the ones I've seen are great.

Mike you are a generous sod, to outfit your relatives with batts and lamps for their lights. Of course, you know you'll have to keep them in 123s for the rest of their lives now, right?!!

daloosh

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
For a general purpose flashlight I'd recommend the Streamlight TT-3C.
It has the following modes:

3 led with runtime of 33 hours and 36 minutes to 50%
or
6 led with runtime of 18 hours and three minutes to 50%
or
Xenon with runtime of 2 hours and 16 minutes to 50%

voltus

Newly Enlightened
Wow a fellow indonesian. Apa kabar?

Anyway, U need put into consideration whether you can find CR123A batteries in Jakarta for reasonable prices. Prove me wrong, but that kinda batteries are still around 25,000 rupiahs each, are they not? Here in US, they're a buck each, so... roughly 9000 rupiahs.

If weigh's not an issue, check out Elektrolumens FT-3C or Blaster 3P. They're bright bright bright, and take regular C and D size batteries.

Elektrolumens does ship internationally. My other consideration is Indonesian Postal Service. Some postal employees might decide to keep the lights for themselves.

Longbow Micra is made in Singapore. You can find them easily there next time you decide to go on a shopping spree.

BTW, which part of Jakarta do you live at? I used to live around Kedoya area.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a general purpose light and a new flashaholic, definately check out Streamlight Twin Task series. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree the Streamlight Twin-Task deserves a look. The other light that you should look at is the Underwater Kinetics eLED. The UK eLED is a single 1W luxeon powered by 4 AA cells. Nice trim light decent output.

GregR

UWAK

Enlightened
Thx for all of your great advice guys, I think it's big problem (i.e shipping cost) if I have to buy a flashlight and one day because of some minor defective I have to send back to US (in case of XM2). Try to find kind of safe and cheaper way.
Hallo Voltus, saya tinggal di Petukangan, Ciledug, nggak jauhlah.
See U around folks.
FRIDS

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you indeed buy something overseas, ask the seller to send it via DHL or fedex (though pricey, but it is worth it if you buy arc4, for example). That way, the postal man would not be able to snatch your new light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
welcome to CPF, uwak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah no kidding.. if I bought any of the SF lights that are >$250 (a $270 MSRP light comes to mind), I'd pay extra for the FedEx shipment just to make darn sure it gets here instead of getting uhh.. 'diverted' en route. The major couriers are insured as well, I believe.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
UWAK, apa kabar dong? Ngapain lu? (hehe, hope I got the spelling right?) I'm very rusty on my Indo, sorry about that.

Anyway, I'd agree on the TT 2L, I have one and its great for just about anything. One more thing you shouldn't forget is also batteries, I guess the 123 cells are just as expensive in Indo for you as they are over here. I'd personally recommend that you try to go for lights that use more common batteries, or rechargables. JSBurly's here has some rechargable 123 cells for sale, but not all lights will be able to use them, so be careful.

From your choices that you have listed, you should check out the runtimes on Roy's runtime plots, that'll give you a better idea of what to expect in terms of how long before your next battery change. Else you can also get a UKE 4AA eLed for a good price and very long runtime.

Edit: Ok sorry, I see now that both the battery issue and the UKE4aa eLed has been covered above already... my apologies for not reading the whole thread thru properly 1st time round... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

UWAK

Enlightened
THX A LOT guys I think I'm gonna wait for some time to see some interesting product to come, but your opinion is very helpful to my knowledge.
You're so good with that "hello" Stanley... Kabar baik dong.!
See U & God Bless U.
FRIDS LAGUNA