hybrid headlamp with UV, red, high intensity white

SonoraMike

Newly Enlightened
looking for a recommendation on an LED headlamp setup that I'm trying to either put together or buy if it already exists.

This is for a night fishing setup, I'd like to find a LED headlamp setup that allows me to run:

1 - UV/blacklight: intensity should allow the light to project out about 10' or so in a somewhat wide arc. most fishing line will illuminate when the blacklight is on it, so the UV helps to track the line in the water and the fish are not able to see it.

2 - red: a somewhat bright red light that will keep my night vision intact but make it easy to tie knots, find gear, etc

3 - spotlight-like white light: i need to be able to clearly light up the shore/bank to see what is there, trees, rocks, etc. usually fish about 35' or so off the shore. this is optional, I can use a cheap lantern-like flashlight for this if it makes things too expesive/complicated. the red and UV are the real needs in this setup.

4 - switch: like a switch that I can flip to switch between UV/red/white

5 - rheostat: like to be able to control the power output and be able to crank up the power if needed for short bursts.

6 - power: open to any kind of battery setup, am assuming that I'd need to run some sort of remote battery pack and wire to the headlamp unit.

7 - weight: not really a consideration, but the lamp should be comfortable to wear without falling down onto my nose while I'm moving around.

8 - price: no idea, just in the idea stage so far

found this and thought it was an interesting setup (its not me in the pic...) where the red and uv could go in the bottom unit and then run a high intensity halogen or conventional white light in the top unit :

hid_headlamp.jpg

does something like this setup exist?? if not, can you make a suggestion on a parts list to put something like this together? want to make one and sell it to me?

any ideas/input very appreciated

thanks

mike

mrme

Enlightened
Sounds pretty cool.
What I would do is get one of those Wal-Mart or similar quality headlamps that has 3 LED's and a Krypton bulb and change out the LED's. There is usually a switch that allows you to go between 1 and 3 LED's or some even have a red LED with the white. They run on AAA's so the LED's should be pretty safe without having to radically modify the light.
Just solder UV and/or red LED's where the white ones are. The Kryton bulb will serve you better for seeing the shore than an LED would, but you could change that, too. When light reflects back at you in the humid air, you will appreciate the dull color of the light.
It would be a fast and inexpensive project. If you find the light indespensible and want to try something better made, you will have a better idea of what you want and how to do it. If it doesn't do what you think it should, you are only out $15.
Have fun and good luck.

SonoraMike

Newly Enlightened
Yep, thats the direction that I'm going with it. Got the Rayovac sportsman with 3 LED and 1 krypton ($12.98 or so). Also bought the other sportsman ($9 or so) that has the single big lamp and the remote battery pack that goes on the back of the head strap.

my current angle is to:

1) replace the LED's with UV LED's and update the power switch on the rayovac 3 AAA so that when its on the first power setting that all 3 UV LED's will light. make the 2nd postion an off/unused position.

2) look for a red krypton replacement bulb, or a red cover that will keep nightvision intact

3) bought large handheld rechargable 2 million candlepower spotlight on sale for $20.

4) keep the $9/4 AA sportsman in reserve as a possible replacement battery pack to drive 6v into the headlamp and then install a pot to modulate the power.