Weird computer virus or what?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I open IE I can no longer access MSN, Google, Yahoo ormany other sites.

Adaware, spybot, and Norton (all updated today) find no viruses or other problems.

It says, "Cannot find msn.com, or yahoo.com, etc.

What gives? I've never seen anything like this.

Bill

gessner17

Enlightened
If you have windows XP, go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Then open the file "hosts" with notepad, see if those sites are in that file, shoudl say something like
127.0.0.1 http://www.yahoo.com

and so forth for any sites, it is a virus, I had a computer in the shop with that prob, temporary fix is to disable all unkown startup item, still trying to figure out with virus it is, very odd one.

Could also be just a DNS problem.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DNS server for your may be down. Is this happening with all sites you try to get to, or just a select few? Did you add CPF to your host file when it was down for a few days? If this is the only site you can access that is probably what's happening. You can try setting your DNS sever to a different one in your network settings and see if it works for you. Let me know if that's the case and I'll give you a couple addresses to use for DNS.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fitz, no to the above.

I can get to most sites, just none of the search engines, any microsoft sites, and just a few others.

Maybe the DNS, as you suggest.

Bill

gessner17

Enlightened
Check that file, this sounds so much like the one I had at the shops.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange that you can still access some sites but not others. About 1.5 months ago the big DNS server at Akamai went down that Google, MSN, and some other big sites use and they weren't accessible for a few hours. I can get to them fine today though. You can try changing your DNS server and see if that helps. There is a new Bagle worm on the loose today that's spreading fast and fools AV programs into thinking it's benign so they don't pick it up but I don't think it blocks any specific sites.

Saaby

Flashaholic
There's also the option of going Start>Run>cmd and then running "ipconfig /flushdns" to flush your local DNS cache.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
There's a couple virus running around. JS/IllWill has appeared this morning, and Mcafee sent out a new dat file this afternoon to handle the W32/Bagle.aq@MM variant.

It's likely the search engines are being hit by the viri looking for addresses.

Daniel