what happens when a lithium ion battery leaks?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone every had one leak on them?

I over tightened a light and it crushed the head of the cell
and started oozing stuff out. Yikes! I quickly put it in a
ziplock and disposed of it.

Before I threw it out I took a whiff and it smelled a little sweet.
Now I have a headache.

help I don't want to die.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recycle if possible, I am using a AA sized lithium with my ARC LS Rev1 with an AA twisty. The drive circuit is a custom board with a 1/2 watt current limiting resistor. The twisty give abit of pressure to the cell and the top of cell leaks a tiny bit everytime I recharge it. I just wipe it off, It smells really *great* especially when I disassemble the ARC LS for cleaning.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't they use to give lithium to psych. patients? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Calling Dr.Chow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight said:
Didn't they use to give lithium to psych. patients? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Calling Dr.Chow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, sometimes they perscribe lithium.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sure smells good.. I just had some of it... I opened the 7LEDMcKinleyHiPower... just because.... there was a mention of it... and it did smell sweet... (though it never leaked)...

Actually it must be some compound that contains *sugar* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j.k.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-ViReN

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Careful, this odor is associated with a powerful psychotropic substance that seems to cause a craving for ever brighter lights.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohhh.... Doug.... I think... that odour / sweet smell.... *That* is what was really driving me to to in for my first Luxeon Based Light.. which i might purchase / build soon... Its really adictive.. no wonder... i think Luxeon.. when i smell that CR123A /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .. always keep gazing at it... and wonder.. what if this small thing can drive a Luxeon... well .. lets see how far.. it goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-ViReN

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sweet smell gave me a headache and a bitter taste in the
back of my throat. I've also got some neck spasms causing my head to jerk to the right while my right arm spases to the left.

j/k

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, this is a known fact. Lithium-ions do not contain lithium. So they are safer than actual lithium cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So licking them may not get you the lithium that you need.

By the way, has anyone licked a 9v battery lately?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope but I loaded 4 NiMH AA into a battery holder fresh off the charger and accidentally touched both the positive and negative contact with a finger. It burns, it burnsssss!!

I hope nobody does that with a lithium ion unprotected cell, those can deliver a lot more than 5 amps if they have to.