Any Petzl Micro users?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as the title says, anyone who has one of these that they are using? I like the form factor, small and all, and I was thinking that putting in something like an Everled would be great, but what I'd like to know is if it will then be comparable with the PT Matrix 2 (in terms of brighness/throw)? Your comments are all appreciated...

mrme

Enlightened
I doubt you will find many here who use or even own a Petzl Micro. They are not very high performing and high performance is what this site is all about.
They cost a little more than the PT Solo, but are pretty comparable.
Oh, and you want to compare an LED light to an incadescent. You probably won't find that as usefull as you might have hoped.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mrme said:
I doubt you will find many here who use or even own a Petzl Micro. They are not very high performing and high performance is what this site is all about.
They cost a little more than the PT Solo, but are pretty comparable.
Oh, and you want to compare an LED light to an incadescent. You probably won't find that as usefull as you might have hoped.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are alot of lights talked about on this forum that aren't all that "high performing". ???

also, he's looking to use an everled which in my experience takes any 2 Cell flashlight i've used it in to a WHOLE new level of performance. i've got a Matrix 2 that i put the TEc 20 assembly/bulb in(essentially a PT Solo) and then switched out to the everled.........comparable and actually better. so im sure it would be a very good upgrade for the Micro as well especially at the better than Solo price of $17.99 at campmor.com...........BUT it looks as though the Micro uses a screw base bulb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
Just as the title says, anyone who has one of these that they are using? I like the form factor, small and all, and I was thinking that putting in something like an Everled would be great, but what I'd like to know is if it will then be comparable with the PT Matrix 2 (in terms of brighness/throw)? Your comments are all appreciated...

[/ QUOTE ]

if you went the Micro route you'd probably have to just settle for one of the screw base epeions from ledcorp.com

other wise i would suggest this:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=329944&memberId=12500226

long burn time led's plus the extra reflector assembly that you could put either an everled or epeion in!!!

man i wish i had the money to get it for a backup to my matrix 2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. Actually I was looking at it cos of its size, its pretty small compared to most other headlamps, and doesn't have the separate batt pack, which I find can be a little tacky sometimes. It doesn't have to be a high performance light so long as its waterproof, and if fitting an Everled improves the brightness/throw, then wouldn't that make it a high-er performance light?

4x4 Dragon, thanks for pointing out that the Micro is using a screw base bulb, I didn't think of that. When I saw it in a shop here, 1st thing that came to my mind is that, cool i could probably replace the bulb with an Everled or something... I have been looking at the Matrix 2 for a whlie now, and the only difference btwn the Matrix2 and the Micro is the bulb type, from the looks of it. Else both use 2AAs and have a twist on/off. Well, to save the trouble, I might go the Matrix 2 way instead methinks... esp at the price that Campmor is selling them at!! Thanks again Dragon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
Thanks for the replies. Actually I was looking at it cos of its size, its pretty small compared to most other headlamps, and doesn't have the separate batt pack, which I find can be a little tacky sometimes. It doesn't have to be a high performance light so long as its waterproof, and if fitting an Everled improves the brightness/throw, then wouldn't that make it a high-er performance light?

4x4 Dragon, thanks for pointing out that the Micro is using a screw base bulb, I didn't think of that. When I saw it in a shop here, 1st thing that came to my mind is that, cool i could probably replace the bulb with an Everled or something... I have been looking at the Matrix 2 for a whlie now, and the only difference btwn the Matrix2 and the Micro is the bulb type, from the looks of it. Else both use 2AAs and have a twist on/off. Well, to save the trouble, I might go the Matrix 2 way instead methinks... esp at the price that Campmor is selling them at!! Thanks again Dragon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

since you were looking to invest in an everled anyways i would get the regular matrix. it comes with the 3 5mm led module for good long runtime which is regulated(from all the reviews i've read) and it also comes with a stock incandescent assembly with a pr-based bulb which you could put the everled in. So you've essentially got a regulated "Matrix 2"(the beams are the same, i've tested this) for some throw and brighter light and you've also got the normal Matrix 5mm led module for long regulated albeit lesser light output.

of course if you don't want if you're not interested in the normal 5mm led module you coule still but the normal Matrix and sell the module to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif then you'd have gotten a good PT headlamp(everled host) for an even lesser price! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez Dragon, you're almost tempting me to splurge again for this month... Must.... resist.... :p

I've used up my budget for this month already, but thanks for informing me on the Matrix, I didn't know it comes with the 5mm Led module as well. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to go that direction... Thanks again!

Hmm.. from the looks of it, the Micro doesn't seem too popular around here... Well I only asked cos it's available in one of the shops here, so I won't have to spend on shipping...

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
Geez Dragon, you're almost tempting me to splurge again for this month... Must.... resist.... :p

I've used up my budget for this month already, but thanks for informing me on the Matrix, I didn't know it comes with the 5mm Led module as well. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to go that direction... Thanks again!.....

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
The Petzl Micro sux! I used it a couple of times back but was lucky enough to loose it fairly quickly and moved on to better things. If you're looking for a small-factor LED headlamp, the Petzl Tikka or the PT Scout may be worthwhile checking out.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess what I'm really looking at is something that I can get cheaper here in MY to be used with an Everled or similar, and the Micro was one that I stumbled across. I use a Pelican Headsup 3Led 3AAA for camping and hiking, so that's pretty good for me as it is. Was kinda looking for a Led headlamp with a bit more throw, thats all... Thanks for the warning on the Micro though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif