anyone know of any wrist lights?

papasan

Enlightened
i asked this question in another thread on the incanscent side, but it was sort of buried and not the original question of the thread, so i thought i would ask again...

i think a wrist light could be very cool, a nice combination between headlamp and flashlight...so far i've heard of two products that could fit this bill...

Flashware Strap
fw_black_consew03.jpg

seems interesting although a bit larger than i would like...room for tools could come in handy...i like how it holds the light off of your arm a little...

Petzl Zipka
E44P.jpg

the zipka will, supposedly, strap around your wrist or arm or torso just fine...i think, for a wristlight, you would want something brighter that projects a little farther, but perhaps this would work well for reading driections or a map or something...

i've been playing with my 2AA mag head strap and i think that would work pretty well with another loop sewn on to it (one perpendicular to the head band part)...then it could serve double duty as a headlamp...

ideally i would like to see a wrist light that you could turn on and off with just the one hand it's attached to, perhaps like a weapon mountable surefire with the trigger put around your index finger so you can trigger it with your thumb or something...

anyhow, i was wondering if anyone else knew of anything liek these or had any ideas...i'll probably go the way of the 2AA mag-light headband thing (because it's cheap as dirt =)) for now, just to see if i use it in this capacity...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papasan:
i think a wrist light could be very cool, a nice combination between headlamp and flashlight...so far i've heard of two products that could fit this bill...

Flashware Strap
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried one of these, and I didn't really care for it. Seems cumbersome and a pain in the toilet muscle to put on and remove; but it DOES have its place, so don't discount Flashware based solely on my opinion of it. http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/flashw.htm

Note that I was unable to test to the full extent of its capabilities, so don't take my results or opinions on this product as gospel.

Harrkev

Enlightened
All of the people on Star Trek (TNG and Voyager) can have them. Why can I??

PS. I want a phaser too. And a starship. Ditto for the holodeck. A replicator would be nice.

mahoney

Enlightened
Years ago I made an arm holder for a AA Maglite from an elastic arm brace, a small chunk of aluminium strap and a couple of tool clips. In using it I found that the idea was better in concept than reality. If you were reaching into tight spots, like servicing a car, the light was always hanging up on stuff or being blocked. And bending your wrist or holding tools sometimes blocked the light. If it was your only source of light, you sometimes had to let go of stuff you really should have kept holding so you could wave your arm around and look for where you put the pile of bolts. After I got a headlamp the armband ended up languishing in a drawer of the toolchest, where it remains today. If you still want to try the idea, the armband's yours if you pay shipping.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harrkev:
All of the people on Star Trek (TNG and Voyager) can have them. Why can I??

PS. I want a phaser too. And a starship. Ditto for the holodeck. A replicator would be nice.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want Seven of Nine, Holodecks, Food Replicators, and travel at warp 9 and wear Jump Suits all day!

I want to go to the Deveron System, Rigel 7, and DS9.

At least I can buy a Photon!

You know, the Princton Tec Attitude would make a really nice wrist light! Velcro a Attitude to a Wrist Band or cheap watch.

That would work!

Oh well . . Seven of Nine - Resistance is Futile. . (sigh . . .)

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
A wrist light sounds useful for stuff you're working on with your hands. You might consider a headlamp, though, for more general purposes. I shyed away from them because I didn't like the idea of things being strapped to my head. I recently bought a very lightweight and comfortable LED headlamp though, and I often forget I'm even wearing it. I'm a headlamp convert now.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Lex is that Kryptonite powered?
As far as Star Trek--How about the transporter? Maybe you have McCoy Syndrome?

Now back to the topic--
The more I thought about this, I thought I move my hands/arms around too much when walking. I agree that the headlamp seems to be better for most apps.

Papasan what is your intended use?

Darell

Flashaholic
Sounds like Aragorn has the simplest solution yet - pocket clip an Arc to your watch band. I'm not sold on it until I see pictures though!

I'm thinking that super-glueing a Photon to the back of your hand would be ideal.
smile.gif

papasan

Enlightened
i was thinking of the wrist light as a compliment for a headlamp, not really to replace it...also as something that could be somewhat concealed...

i sometimes take part in a sport known as 'urban spelunking' or 'vadding' as they call it at MIT...these are usually crowded places that require one to slip in amoungst a crowd...like 'walking along minding my own business...hmm, just poke my head down this old roped-off stairwell'...

there's also the more practical reasons of hands-free lighting while wearing a hat or a mask or something else (night time paintball
smile.gif
)...

so i've been plaing around with a maglite and a jackstrap but i'm not sure it'll work out very well...turning the light on is sometimes a chore because it twists in the elastic band...and your hand and other stuff does seem to get into the way of the light frequently, although you can get around this a bit by moving the light to the bottom or side of your wrist...

perhaps a different light design than the maglight would work out better...like one of those rayovac twisty head lights...

bwcaw

Enlightened
I saw some of those wrist lights exactly like the ones on Star Trek on the history channel,a couple of divers were wearing them when they wwere trying to raise partof the Alabama which sank in the english channel during the civil war.I think they are french dive lights because the divers were in the french military.
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papasan:
so i've been plaing around with a maglite and a jackstrap<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not read this right the first time. I thought you were carrying your light in a location that I've never before considered!

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw something in a shop today - it was a simple 2AA light with an adjustable mount on a sort of large circular 'claw' style clamp. The clamp (for want of a better word) was shown on the packaging clamped onto a power drill, and also shown around the forearm - the clamp does not fully enclose when attached, I imagine the spring is strong enough to be steady, but not too strong. It was only about 2000yen.

Personally, I would prefer a headlamp though - since you are normally looking at what you want lit up, as opposed to where your arm is pointing. I guess there are cases for both ways though.

Graham