Storacell
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you hold your flashlight

Default How do you hold your flashlight

This may sound like a dumb question but I'd like to know how many different ways you guys like to hold your lights. I only know of 5 different ways I use but not having a digital camera with me, I will just have to best discribe my methods.

The top of the flashlight is where the switch is (unless the switch is on the tail end of the flashlight)

Regular: Fingers around the bottom of the light; thumb on the swich. Most regular flashlights are like this (hence the name)

Over: Fingers around the top of the flashlight; thumb and arm on the bottom (You're gripping the light)

Over the Shoulder: Similar to "over" but you rest the back end of the light on your shoulder (This is how I hold a 4 D or bigger Mag Lite, Streamlight*, or any other long flashlight)
    *A former neighbor of mine worked for the LAPD and had a Streamlight Flashlight that was about the size of a 3 or 4D Mag but was rechargeable (He let me play with it a few times and I shined it across the valley at some unsuspecting people). Is this the Ultrastinger?

Penlite: Hold the head of the light like a pencil (Best when done with a Mini Mag or a Solitaire)

Tactical (SureFire): Fingers gripping the light like in "Over" but thumb on the tailcap. (I use this for all flashlights that have the switch on the back which also includes Sure Fires and other Tactical lights)

How do you hold your lights? Also, does anyone have a method I haven't listed?

Default Re: How do you hold your flashlight

You forgot the "hold in mouth while trying to set up tent in dark" method!

Flashaholic*

Almost always tactical for outdoor use. If I'm using a light for troubleshooting and sometimes indoors, I'll use the "regular" hold.

you forgot the cigar grip hold
    light between first and second fingers
    switch being pushed with base of thumb
    (works best with lights with a grip ring (z2,c2,g3z,m2,m3 etc)

[ QUOTE ]
    Echo63 said:
    you forgot the cigar grip hold

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my favorite grip for all E2E based lights with Z52 (exccpt with McE2S) and for many "standard" diameter Surefires with LOTC. The relatively aggressive knurling of the E2E bodies provides plenty of grip without a "grip ring". I find the most natural hold to be between 3rd and 4th finger with TC against palm. I can carry it like this all day. Note, for easist operation rotate the LOTC until just before ignition. Tension adjustment of all Z52's is easily accomplished by selective spring compression. (There's a thread about that somewhere). This grip will work with clickies in momentary mode but is not as practical for click on-off mode.

Brightnorm

"Hold it in your mouth"- I was thinking hand held only but ok, I'll include that as well. However, my teeth are not that strong.

"Cigar Grip" Darn, I forgot how my uncle showed me how to hold his M3. I usually use the Tactical method for these type of flashlights. He did it alongside a pistol (Gun in right hand, light in left along the barrel plus a shooter's stance.)
    I held his the way Brightnorm discribed with my palm against the switch. Just give it a good squeeze to turn it on.

sorry - i didnt put down how i hold my lights - oops
    i use the "over" hold for my Pelican M11
    the "tactical" hold for my Stinger Xt and SF 6P
    and the cigar grip hold for my L4

oh and i use the "arm stretched letting the light drag along the ground" grip with my thor 10Mcp

Flashaholic*

When holding a pistol in my right hand (can be reversed) and a flashlight in my left, I used the "Juancho position" wich I invented 40 years ago.
    When streching your right hand to shoot, your left go to the top of your head and activate the light, the beam of the flashlight will fall in your handgun sights and your target.
    Much more efficient to illuminate the small military sights than any other position such as the Rogers-Surefire or others.
    You just has to get used to hold the light with one hand instead of two. You know, they call them "handguns".

Besides you maybe need that extra hand to open doors or hang into something!!
    Before you dismiss this, why don't you tried it in a dark room and compare the "Juancho" against the others.

Good Shooting!!

Juan C.

Just depends a lot on which light and how I'm using it.

Sometimes big lights are held like a club, up on my shoulder, sometimes normal.

AA lights almost always get a pencil grip.

Just depends..

Depends a lot on the flashlight, but I frequently alternate between the cigar grip and tactical.

On night calls I hold my L4 under my left armpit and hold the clip board with my left hand while writing with my right hand.

*Flashaholic*

I'm right-handed. If I'm in the dark, needing a light, and I have something (fork, pen, keys, crescent wrench, .45 etc.) in my right hand, it's nice to be able to access/operate my light with my left hand! Being able to transfer it to mouth, freeing both hands is added utility. My EDC with its front bezel twist-on kinda dictates the hold. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Larry

Flashaholic*

Tactical and syringe hold (cigar hold)

Tactical and syringe hold, and also, if the light is big and powerful, like a modded D size Mag, then its the "torch hold" when indoors. Its like holding the flashlight as if its an ancient fire torch with the flame at the top end. Holding the handle end near the tailcap and the bezel pointing head up, the light hits the celling and gets reflected round the room illuminating it. Good for indoors and great for clubbing down attackers and intruders.

Tactical grip for the surefires, regular for the AA m*g.
    I like the stability and security of the tactical grip, and the regular is good for on-off of the AA. Tactical also allows for the 'club-action' in larger lights, where the tail end of the light is the 'business end', thus saving the bezel/lens area from damage.

I like to hold my SF L6 on the left of my S & W 4inch 686 and practice at night. On Beer cans.

Tactical to Pratical. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

NikolaTesla [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

If you still want some more ideas, check a copy of the Kama Sutra.

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    lightmeup said:
    If you still want some more ideas, check a copy of the Kama Sutra.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thread is how do you hold not store. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif[/img] Sorry couldn't help it.

Pencil grip or tactical grip for my SFs.. yes, surprisingly pencil grip even with the fat 6P. Impossible to do that with the Mag, so it's overhand or normal depending on which level I want it to be at, normal grip is used more when I point the light downwards.

There's also the under-shoulder carry to let you have both hands free while the light points forward. More useful with the larger Mags (3/4D), or the neck grip, where you place the light between your neck and shoulder, kinda like a phone.

Even more unconventional, KL1/E1e clipped to the hem of a jacket sleeve above my hand so I have a light where my hands are pointing and working on stuff, and to a collar when I didn't have a cap.

Unenlightened

This is how we did it in the shipyards of South Korea. As I was working as a marine surveyor while building new ships, the flashlight used exclusively was the Rechargeable Mag-Lite. Although it's not intrinsically safe, new ships typically have no residual flammable vapors within the tanks. These bright, big, & bulky flashlights are usually attached to a nylon strap worn diagonally across the chest. Each ond of the nylon strap is connected at each end of the battery shaft via circular rubber gaskets. This hands-free approach works well for using other tools, climbing ladders, etc., etc. The flashlight usually rests just above the hip (around the belly button), and can easily be moved to the front or back of the body to negotiate tighter spaces. This nylon strap is sold at any hardware store/outfitter in South Korea and is has the Mag-Lite logo all over it. Now in the US, I cannot even find this accessory on the Mag-Lite website.

As for entering tanks of existing ships, the marine industry standard is smaller Pelican lights because they are intrinsically safe. Most use a hand-held technique for light use. I still like the hands-free approach.

Anybody know where I can get this Mag-Lite nylon strap? I cannot find it anywhere!

Cigar grip aka Surefire Grip is how I hold my light. Light goes inbetween index and middle finger. Or i use the tactical grip with thumb on switch.
    Collecting is not about what you have but rather what you DONT have . . . yet.
    ABTOMAT: "Newer Surefire lights strike me as the result of CNC programmers saying to each other "Hold my beer and watch THIS."

how about under watch band &over ear like a cig.
    Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant

95% of the time I use the tactical or the cigar grip
    Register your Smart PD(D10, D20, EX10) at the official registry
    To prevent catastrophes, please make sure that brain is online before mouth moves.

tactical a lot of the time and over the shoulder but if i really need both hands free and i have my 2D mag i put it between my teeth...
    'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

cigar grip for me, it allows me to grasp things while holding it.
    Walk the dog hold if I just want to illuminate the ground in front of me.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

I prefer the ice pick grip.
    SUREFIRE M3-G3-6Z-C2-6PD-E2D-E1B-E2DL-LX2 / NOVATAC 120P / LUMAPOWER IncenDio-Q5 / FENIX L1D-Q5,P1D-Q5,L0D-Q4 / ZEBRALIGHT H30-Q5 / NITECORE Extreme,EX10-Q5,D10-R2

There is a modified pencil grip that I like to use with a MAG solitaire or Minimag that has a wrist strap on it, usually not the factory strap but a better one off an old cell phone or the like.

With the strap around your wrist, the light is in the pencil grip position, but you practically don't have to hold it with your thumb at all if you have the correct length strap, just use your pointer finger to keep it pointed where you wat by placing the tip between your pointer and second finger. It is very comfortable and works good in my left hand leaving my right hand free to work with other tools or keys.

I cringe when I think about a metal light between my teeth. It's psychological or a phobia about breaking my beautiful teeth. So, I only mouth hold a minimag with my teeth clinched, the light is in the side of my mouth mostly held in place by my cheek.

You asked about holding positions for lights mostly while they are in use, but what about while carrying them? I like a MAG 2C in my back blue jeans pocket. Or a minimag in a side leg pocket if I am wearing carpenter pants, which are about 75% of my jeans.

Flashaholic

umm i do regular, cigar, over shoulder and armpit and that does the trick for me
    yeah i bought another one... the last one just wasnt what i was looking for

Tactical, every since I was a kid. It just always felt more natural and made less light-shadows than the "arm at your side" style of holding because it's closer to your eye level.

Sometimes I use the cigar hold with the RA Twisty for when I need both hands AND a light.

I tailstand often when I need area lighting and need to work with both hands a little bit more than with the cigar hold.
    Current EDC Lights: Mac Tri EDC 45K 1st Gen. Orange Cerakote, K2-MS, FB1/E1E and ReVo SS | My EDC Items

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

I equip most of my lights w/ a piece of plastic tubing. I put it on the tail and I have a bite that is more comfortable. I won't talk about extended holds and slobber
    The dead batteries were given out free of charge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast