How do you hold your flashlight

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may sound like a dumb question but I'd like to know how many different ways you guys like to hold your lights. I only know of 5 different ways I use but not having a digital camera with me, I will just have to best discribe my methods.

The top of the flashlight is where the switch is (unless the switch is on the tail end of the flashlight)

Regular: Fingers around the bottom of the light; thumb on the swich. Most regular flashlights are like this (hence the name)

Over: Fingers around the top of the flashlight; thumb and arm on the bottom (You're gripping the light)

Over the Shoulder: Similar to "over" but you rest the back end of the light on your shoulder (This is how I hold a 4 D or bigger Mag Lite, Streamlight*, or any other long flashlight)
*A former neighbor of mine worked for the LAPD and had a Streamlight Flashlight that was about the size of a 3 or 4D Mag but was rechargeable (He let me play with it a few times and I shined it across the valley at some unsuspecting people). Is this the Ultrastinger?

Penlite: Hold the head of the light like a pencil (Best when done with a Mini Mag or a Solitaire)

Tactical (SureFire): Fingers gripping the light like in "Over" but thumb on the tailcap. (I use this for all flashlights that have the switch on the back which also includes Sure Fires and other Tactical lights)

How do you hold your lights? Also, does anyone have a method I haven't listed?

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forgot the "hold in mouth while trying to set up tent in dark" method!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
you forgot the cigar grip hold
light between first and second fingers
switch being pushed with base of thumb
(works best with lights with a grip ring (z2,c2,g3z,m2,m3 etc)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Echo63 said:
you forgot the cigar grip hold

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my favorite grip for all E2E based lights with Z52 (exccpt with McE2S) and for many "standard" diameter Surefires with LOTC. The relatively aggressive knurling of the E2E bodies provides plenty of grip without a "grip ring". I find the most natural hold to be between 3rd and 4th finger with TC against palm. I can carry it like this all day. Note, for easist operation rotate the LOTC until just before ignition. Tension adjustment of all Z52's is easily accomplished by selective spring compression. (There's a thread about that somewhere). This grip will work with clickies in momentary mode but is not as practical for click on-off mode.

Brightnorm

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Hold it in your mouth"- I was thinking hand held only but ok, I'll include that as well. However, my teeth are not that strong.

"Cigar Grip" Darn, I forgot how my uncle showed me how to hold his M3. I usually use the Tactical method for these type of flashlights. He did it alongside a pistol (Gun in right hand, light in left along the barrel plus a shooter's stance.)
I held his the way Brightnorm discribed with my palm against the switch. Just give it a good squeeze to turn it on.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry - i didnt put down how i hold my lights - oops
i use the "over" hold for my Pelican M11
the "tactical" hold for my Stinger Xt and SF 6P
and the cigar grip hold for my L4

oh and i use the "arm stretched letting the light drag along the ground" grip with my thor 10Mcp

juancho

Enlightened
When holding a pistol in my right hand (can be reversed) and a flashlight in my left, I used the "Juancho position" wich I invented 40 years ago.
When streching your right hand to shoot, your left go to the top of your head and activate the light, the beam of the flashlight will fall in your handgun sights and your target.
Much more efficient to illuminate the small military sights than any other position such as the Rogers-Surefire or others.
You just has to get used to hold the light with one hand instead of two. You know, they call them "handguns".

Besides you maybe need that extra hand to open doors or hang into something!!
Before you dismiss this, why don't you tried it in a dark room and compare the "Juancho" against the others.

Good Shooting!!

Juan C.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Just depends a lot on which light and how I'm using it.

Sometimes big lights are held like a club, up on my shoulder, sometimes normal.

AA lights almost always get a pencil grip.

Just depends..

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends a lot on the flashlight, but I frequently alternate between the cigar grip and tactical.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
On night calls I hold my L4 under my left armpit and hold the clip board with my left hand while writing with my right hand.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I'm right-handed. If I'm in the dark, needing a light, and I have something (fork, pen, keys, crescent wrench, .45 etc.) in my right hand, it's nice to be able to access/operate my light with my left hand! Being able to transfer it to mouth, freeing both hands is added utility. My EDC with its front bezel twist-on kinda dictates the hold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Tactical and syringe hold, and also, if the light is big and powerful, like a modded D size Mag, then its the "torch hold" when indoors. Its like holding the flashlight as if its an ancient fire torch with the flame at the top end. Holding the handle end near the tailcap and the bezel pointing head up, the light hits the celling and gets reflected round the room illuminating it. Good for indoors and great for clubbing down attackers and intruders.

Dynacolt

Enlightened
Tactical grip for the surefires, regular for the AA m*g.
I like the stability and security of the tactical grip, and the regular is good for on-off of the AA. Tactical also allows for the 'club-action' in larger lights, where the tail end of the light is the 'business end', thus saving the bezel/lens area from damage.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to hold my SF L6 on the left of my S & W 4inch 686 and practice at night. On Beer cans.

Tactical to Pratical. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

sidespill

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lightmeup said:
If you still want some more ideas, check a copy of the Kama Sutra.;)

[/ QUOTE ]

the thread is how do you hold not store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif Sorry couldn't help it.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pencil grip or tactical grip for my SFs.. yes, surprisingly pencil grip even with the fat 6P. Impossible to do that with the Mag, so it's overhand or normal depending on which level I want it to be at, normal grip is used more when I point the light downwards.

There's also the under-shoulder carry to let you have both hands free while the light points forward. More useful with the larger Mags (3/4D), or the neck grip, where you place the light between your neck and shoulder, kinda like a phone.

Even more unconventional, KL1/E1e clipped to the hem of a jacket sleeve above my hand so I have a light where my hands are pointing and working on stuff, and to a collar when I didn't have a cap.

JoeAtomicToad

Newly Enlightened
This is how we did it in the shipyards of South Korea. As I was working as a marine surveyor while building new ships, the flashlight used exclusively was the Rechargeable Mag-Lite. Although it's not intrinsically safe, new ships typically have no residual flammable vapors within the tanks. These bright, big, & bulky flashlights are usually attached to a nylon strap worn diagonally across the chest. Each ond of the nylon strap is connected at each end of the battery shaft via circular rubber gaskets. This hands-free approach works well for using other tools, climbing ladders, etc., etc. The flashlight usually rests just above the hip (around the belly button), and can easily be moved to the front or back of the body to negotiate tighter spaces. This nylon strap is sold at any hardware store/outfitter in South Korea and is has the Mag-Lite logo all over it. Now in the US, I cannot even find this accessory on the Mag-Lite website.

As for entering tanks of existing ships, the marine industry standard is smaller Pelican lights because they are intrinsically safe. Most use a hand-held technique for light use. I still like the hands-free approach.

Anybody know where I can get this Mag-Lite nylon strap? I cannot find it anywhere!