PILA - how does the LED tailcap work?

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I may be an idiot - I've looked for a while here and on the pila site, but I can't find the answer.

How do you use the LED tailcap? I'm assuming the light has the normal tailcap push-on dead-man style switch, but then how to you turn the LEDs on? Can you turn them on with out turning on the main light? Twist or something?

Sorry if this is stupid, or obvious...but thanks!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not stupid. Twist the tailcap to turn on the leds; continue to twist to turn off the leds and turn on the headlamp. Also, you can push the lens of the led head to turn on the leds, or continue to push further to turn on the headlamp. It's a little different than most other lights, and takes a tiny bit of practice to get and not blind yourself with the led head when pointing the light's headlamp.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
so its like a Surefire A2 except the Leds are on the other end ?
i have been looking at getting the one that uses 4x 123s or two of the 2cell rechargeables - anyone got one and want to comment ?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several threads to check out, Echo63. To me, and some others, the GL3R is the sweet spot in the Pila lineup. Smaller head, 3 cell size w/2 li-ion 150As. Great, bright, beautiful flood beam that also throws. The G4 won't be any brighter unless you use 4x123cells instead of the 2 larger 168A li-ions.

The tailcap twists to lock the light (head or tailcap) on, and pushes in two stages for momentary on (not locking).

It's a real nice light. Check out some of the reviews around.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
One thing Phaserburn forgot to mention is that with the G3 series you can interchange from rechargeable to CR123 throw aways without any problem. Unlike the G2 series which doing so would blow the 3.7V bulb instantly. So if you want a light that you can use both types of batteries and get some decent lumens (130) then the G3 series is a good choice. If you have any other question, let me know.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com
Authorized Pila & LongBow Dealer

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have 2 of the GL4's bought the second one not long after
the first one I liked is so much. You need to put the batteries in backwards to make the tail cap light up.(positive towards the tail cap)
I use the red and green LED caps the most.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BugOutGear_USA said:
One thing Phaserburn forgot to mention is that with the G3 series you can interchange from rechargeable to CR123 throw aways without any problem. Unlike the G2 series which doing so would blow the 3.7V bulb instantly. So if you want a light that you can use both types of batteries and get some decent lumens (130) then the G3 series is a good choice. If you have any other question, let me know. /quote]

An important omission, thanks. Definitely a huge plus; I've carried 3x123 cells with me for backup on many occasions, and am out nothing if I don't have to use them (i.e. why have more rechargeables as costly backups if you hardly ever use them?).